Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
    The only problem I have with Mytether is that THERE IS NO DONATION!! IS A CHARGE!!!

If he would put it as please pay X amount to get the app cool but once you label it a "donation" is just wrong.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Does the free version of mytether work with wifi? or are you guys talking about the paid version?
    is just the paid version

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I now have MHS 100% operational over wifi on an *un-doctored* 1.4.0 Pre, with no kludges on the connecting clients like configuring DNS servers or waiting 10 minutes for ppp0 to restart.

The directions provided on the last few pages of this thread all seem to start with a phone that was blasted back to default with the 1.4.0 WebOS-Doctor. This has me scratching my head, since I do not see any instructions to re-install the DHCP server, or to replace the com.palm.mobilehotspot service file. (Two key missing items that prevented MHS 1.03 from functioning properly.) Does the 1.4.0 WebOS-Doctor install these files, whereas the OTA upgrade from 1.3.5.1 to 1.4.0 does not??? I honestly have a hard time believing that anybody got MHS working via wifi without these two key items.

I don't recall all of the steps involved, since I started last weekend and didn't finish until today. The executive summary is that I removed MHS, made my 1.4.0 Pre look like a 1.3.5.1 Pre by downgrading/replacing some of the MHS-specific files that were on the phone but not part of the MHS application package, and then re-installed MHS 1.03. The keys steps for downgrading the phone were to get minidhcp running again, to pull /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager, com.palm.mobilehotspotservice, /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd, and /etc/service.d/mobilehotspotd from a 1.3.5.1 backup, and then re-install MHS 1.03. After a reboot, everything worked again, just like it did under 1.3.5.1.

I'll leave documenting the procedure up to someone else, who hopefully takes better notes than I did when they get it working.

I should throw in a disclaimer that I've had to pull the battery from my phone three times this morning, as it seemed to get hung up rebooting for some unknown reason. Don't know if my MHS tinkering is to blame, but I'm mentioning it as a warning that you shouldn't try this at home because there may be side effects.....
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    yea, I experienced the same hang on reboot as well.

Also could you perform a ipconfig /all on your client pc and tell me what your dns servers are listed as??? I don't need to know the specific addresses ... just wether it listed the 10.1.1.11 as the dns server or not. If it is listing this then my problem is more related to the Pre not forwarding dns requests externally

Of course if some other address is listed, then the Pre is not passing out the proper dns info to DHCP requestors in my configuration that is.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 03/06/2010 at 05:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Are you 100% sure that you have IP forwarding enabled? (I'm still using freetether to toggle it, not the ipforwarding patch for MHS that's floating around.)

FWIW, both the DNS server and default gateway on my tethered computer are the Pre's 10.1.1.11 IP address (and handed out via DHCP), just like it was under WebOS 1.3.5.1.

The *only* difference that I have observed is that the Pre now throws up the scary red-button warning that Sprint doesn't support tethering EVERY time my notebook syncs with MHS, instead of maybe one time in five like before. (I get the feeling that Palm's programmers were trying to scare people into not tethering, but not stop them.) In any case, you can simply push the red button to acknowledge Palm's warning, and tether away.....
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Actually, your questions have provoked some more thoughts.

If I set a client to a static external dns server and am able to browse [browse & ping ip addresses & FQDNs] then ip forwarding must be working, no???

If 10.1.1.11 is what you have and have had in 1.3.5 as well....then that is set up properly as well.

There must be something wrong specifically with dns resolution or the forwarding of dns requests in my setup.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    here is some more information that I didn't mention before.

I have a iptables statement to allow for USB tethering....I put it in /etc/event.d/optware-dropbear ... it was mentioned as required for USB tethering in the thread I referenced in one of my earlier posts.

Code:
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
    I have no experience with iptables. I do things with it because I read in the community that it will help .... I don't really understand it, tho.

could this be interfering with DNS resolution or modifying it somehow? Is there some kind of reverse looking that is interfered with by this statement?

Gonna try disabling it and see what happens.... brb.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Okay, here's what I found from disabling that iptables line....

USB tethering was no longer functioning...as expected.

However,...

MHS, continued to function normally [for me].....

E.G.

I was able to browse with MHS if my client PC was assigned a static, external DNS server

I was not able to browse with MHS if my client PC was assigned a DHCP DNS server [10.1.1.11]

It doesn't appear that the iptables line affects MHS whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by arb0171 View Post
    Used Mobile Hot spot prior to web os 1.4 update. Been following this thread religiously trying methods mentioned previously. Because of my lack of programming knowledge, I decided to go with My Tether. New version seems to work just as good as MHS. Took me more time to enter my pay pal payment then it was to be up and running again. Great Job! Well worth the donation. Good luck.
    It is not a donation, it is a payment. Donations are not compulsory. You are paying for a commercial application, which is a product, from a seller, and you are a customer.

That aside, I do agree that [currently] the amount of effort to get MHS working is far beyond most users and worth the *payment* for MyTether.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    I refuse to pay a "donation". If it was marked as a purchase for an application I would but is not a DONATION if they make you pay it!!!

Oklahoma Sooner theme

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    You know.... when I was in college.. I ironed my clothes..... now.... I pay for dry cleaners.

Why do I pay for a service that I can perform myself for free?

The cost-vs-time analysis......

What does your time mean to you?

Here, in my case, my time is acquiring me an additional skill that will benefit me in my career. Would never have thought I could have done some of the things I have done in Linux prior to the Palm Pre's existence! Could I have learned it without the Pre, yea, but I didn't have the motivation. Plus the investment of time now will have a return on that investment in my salary at some point.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 03/06/2010 at 09:23 PM.
    I have managed to install the Mobile Hotspot from 1.4 Verizon onto my plain 1.4 GSM Version. I know that on sprint you need some tricks to tether.
    But maybe someone can use this info.
    it's great. I will use it
    Hi. Im a complete NooB! but really really want this to work on my phone. I have novacom and palm SDK etc installed. Also have phone on developer mode and have preward, gnu, etc installed that was mentioned a couple of posts back.

A few people have asked about how to transfer/remove files but they seem to be told off for asking.. I have now spent a while and can't find easy instructions! I would really appreciate it if someone could just give me a link to somewhere that could teach me how. Even the lines I need to put into novacom to transfer/delete files!

I recon you'd be helping a lot of people! I need help.
    stueybuk explained a way using WebosQuickinstall here.
    But this is a thread about tethering. Please ask somewhere else.

EDIT: Links not working: h-t-t-p://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre/234606-mobile-hotspot-working-1-4-o2-germany.html#post2284425
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    I was not able to browse with MHS if my client PC was assigned a DHCP DNS server [10.1.1.11]

It doesn't appear that the iptables line affects MHS whatsoever.
    The iptables line appears to only have enabled NAT for USB tethering. I'm pretty sure that MHS has to enable NAT as well, so this line is probably redundant when using MHS.

Most web surfing goes out as TCP traffic. Pings utilize ICMP. DNS is usually done via UDP packets. Perhaps you have an iptables rule blocking UDP packets?

Come to think of it, I never went poking around to see how MHS was doing DNS resolution. Were they starting a caching DNS server on the Pre? Tunneling it through to the carrier's DNS servers? Sending DNS requests to a special Verizon DNS server so that they can tell that MHS is in use? This may be worthy of a tcpdump at some point if nobody else knows!

One thing that you might want to try if you haven't already is to copy over both the minidhcp and PmNetConfigManager binaries from the base 1.3.5.1 install. I couldn't get DHCP to hand out an IP address at all until I downgraded PmNetConfigManager, and if I recall correctly the binary from 1.4.0 was smaller than the 1.3.5.1 version (deleted functions?).

At this point, I'm wondering if the "proper" path going forward should not be to follow the O2 Germany instructions, which install a newer version of MHS onto 1.4.0? Another thought that I had was to figure out the alleged native WebOS API calls that My Tether uses to enable their wireless functionality, and incorporate them into freetether. In other words, give up on the MHS application proper, but use the underlying WebOS functionality to provide the same functionality.....
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbeans View Post
    A few people have asked about how to transfer/remove files but they seem to be told off for asking.. I have now spent a while and can't find easy instructions! I would really appreciate it if someone could just give me a link to somewhere that could teach me how. Even the lines I need to put into novacom to transfer/delete files!
    One way that you can move files to/from your phone's internal filesystem is via USB drive mode. Copy the files from your PC onto the phone's USB drive. Then, exit USB drive mode and open novacom/novaterm. The files that you copied will now be available in the Linux /media/internal folder, where you can use the native Linux "mv" or "cp" commands to place them into their final destination folders (after making backups of the original files, of course). Here's an example for one file:

mv /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd.140
    cp /media/internal/mobilehotspotd /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    chmod 755 /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd

If you haven't seen it yet, this web page has just about everything that you need to know about what's going on inside your phone:

Main Page - WebOS Internals

Good luck.....
    why don't everyone just youtube my tether and get the free version!!! V2.1 is free and works just youtube it
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by (three post my tether fan boy) chad0723 View Post
    why don't everyone just youtube my tether and get the free version!!! V2.1 is free and works just youtube it

| sed s/my\ tether/iphone/g | sed s/V2.1/The\ 3GS/g | sed s/is\ free/is\ fruity/g

| sed s/my\ tether/Windows/g | sed s/V2.1/Windows\ 7/g | sed s/is\ free/works\ great/g

| sed s/youtube/google/g | sed s/my\ tether/fan\ boy/g | sed s/V2.1\ is\ free\ and\ works/I\'m\ a\ troll/g

It's about the challenge to get MHS working again at this point, is something that you as a three-post troll will obviously never understand.....