Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Interesting....I reconnected the USB cable [to tether over USB] without disabling MHS and ppp0 came backup. So I disconnected the USB cable and ppp0 stayed up...I am posting now from my PC via MHS tethered PRE
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    This is above my head. I tried issuing an ifup ppp0 and this returned 'unknown interface'

I don't know enough about linux, iptables, or dnsmasq to resolve this.

I'm at apoint where I am so turned around, I am not sure where I came from much less what to try next.

I hope some of this makes sense to someone more knowledgable.

Maybe when I wake up tomorrow, my thinking will have cleared a bit....and I'll have obtained a bit of perspective.

Heh, I'm still posting from my PC via a MHS tethered Pre
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Ummm, rebooted PC and Pre again...

started MHS...

PC Connnected....ppp0 crashed [EV icon disappeared from top bar]...this occurs only when connection is established, not before.

This time I issued 'ifconfig ppp0 up' and got a message about the interface not existing but the ppp0 interface came back up on it's own and the EV icon reappeared. Am posting from the wifi connection right now.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 03/05/2010 at 03:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    problem with dr. back to 1.3.5.1 is with time your phone with automatically update itself...... if it's just tethering your worried about just get the newest verison of mytether..... i have that with freetether to forword the ip address and it works perfectly..... i'm tethering now...
    You do realize that you can prevent the update from downloading by rooting and executing the commands below, right?

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then reboot
    Last edited by facetoface; 03/05/2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Here's my question:

I installed MHS and decided to remove it. How do I un-install all of the attached patches:

1) us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk
    2) auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch

Thanks in advance for any answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Here's my question:

I installed MHS and decided to remove it. How do I un-install all of the attached patches:

Thanks in advance for any answers.
    webOS quick install....go to device management...and select the ones u posted and uninstall
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I get similar issues. My mac connects to my phone but says no internet connection
    I have the same issue. I get my phone to recognize the network, but it will not pull an IP address. I also received the error message that my carrier plan does not allow sharing the internet connection. I followed all the directions in the post earlier anyone else have any other ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by phatgenius View Post
    I have the same issue. I get my phone to recognize the network, but it will not pull an IP address. I also received the error message that my carrier plan does not allow sharing the internet connection. I followed all the directions in the post earlier anyone else have any other ideas?

Turn off bluetooth
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kolba6995 View Post
    Turn off bluetooth
    I tried that and it still didn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by phatgenius View Post
    I ended up giving up and just getting MyTether. Works just fine now.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    are you using the free version of MyTether? Does the free version of MyTether work over wifi?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I've modified Tatsujin instructions a bit....

This is what I did and reproduced to get a working MHS on webOS 1.4. [this is not for the faint hearted]

To start, make sure you have the following....

A WebOS Pre (Sprint 1.4)
    Some way to manipulate and/or transfer files/apps on the Pre (SSH/Novacom/webOSQI)
    The 1.0.3 Mobile Hot Spot app that was pulled from Verizon
    The Freetetherd daemon [the app is not needed]
    Jason Robataille's patch that automatically enables IP Forwarding in Freetetherd when the MHS app is loaded
    Some Files from an image of WebOS 1.3.5.1 [See link below]
    A modified version of /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager from webOS 1.3.5.x

I will not PM the PmNetConfigManager file...someone provide me a place to upload it. Alternatively, if you want to extract the PmNetConfigManager file from webOSDoctor 1.3.5 and modify it yourself you can find the instructions here. Just be sure to substitute PmNetConfigManager everywhere you read PmConnectionManager. The file name changed after webOS 1.2. Copy the modified file to /usr/bin and reboot.

The remaining files are available here:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

1. I backed up critical files [PalmDatabase.db3, et al] and webDoctored my Palm Pre

2. Enabled Dev Mode and setup Novacom using the webOS-Internals instructions for
    accessing linux.

3. I used Jason's webOS Quick Install to install PackageManager Service, Preware, LsDiff, and the GNU Patch. The directory referenced in #4 does not exist until this is done.

4. Transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-binary directory of the above archive to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/

5. Transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-event.d directory of the archive to /etc/event.d/

6. Remove the following files:

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/palm/mobilehotspotd.postinst

7. Reboot your phone

8. Using webOS QuickInstall, Install the Freetetherd app (us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk) from the Archive

9. Using webOS QuickInstall, Install the Mobile Hot Spot app (com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk) from the Archive

10. Using webOS QuickInstall, Install the patch (You will need to restart Luna after doing so) (auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch) from the Archive

11. Setup your Wifi Adapter on your client PC for a static DNS server. Just a static DNS server, not a static ip address.

[To find a static dns server address, open a command prompt in Windows and type, "nslookup" and press enter. Then type "set type=ns" and press enter. then type in your favorite ISP (ATT.com, SPRINT.com, VERIZON.com, COMCAST.com, et al.) The response will list that ISPs nameservers and their ip addresses. Use any two of the numeric addresses.] Type 'Exit' and hit enter.

Once done, start up MHS. The ppp0 adapter will crash [the EV icon will disappear from the Top Bar]. The ppp0 will come back up on it's own. It may take up to 5 minutes to do so though....be patient.... OR..... you can SSH into your pre and issue 'ifconfig ppp0 up' command. This will generate an error but bring the ppp0 adapater backup almost immediately afterward.

NOTE: In 10 minutes my battery drained 11%. Meaning a full charge would last 90 minutes. This is not designed for use while not charging!!!!!!
    Last edited by DrewPre; 03/05/2010 at 11:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    webOS quick install....go to device management...and select the ones u posted and uninstall
    Thanks for the response maxima...

Only problem with that is that these are not patches that were part of WOSQI but instead were part of the install process for MHS. As a result, there is no Un-Install for these patches in WOSQI. Anybody know how to manually go in and surgically remove these patches?

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    There is a way to setup dnsmasq to specify a specific dns server but I am unfamiliar with how to do that. If someone more familiar with linux and dns masq wants to post instructions I would appreciate it. That would eliminate step 11. Steps 1 2 & 3 are optional. So with a modified dnsmasq.palm.conf, you'd only have to worry about getting the modified PmNetConfigManager into /usr/bin and waiting for ppp0 to restart upon connecting.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Thanks for the response maxima...

Only problem with that is that these are not patches that were part of WOSQI but instead were part of the install process for MHS. As a result, there is no Un-Install for these patches in WOSQI. Anybody know how to manually go in and surgically remove these patches?

Foosball, they're there. You have to go to Tools > Device Management > and then toggle the pull-down menu (upper right) between Applications and Patches.
    after getting totally let down about Flash not coming anytime soon, I saw no reason to keep webos 1.4 installed. Just doctored back to 1.3.5.1 and I'm loving my MHS again. Why is everybody so attached to 1.4? Does everybody really use the video cam? Patches cure everything, and until Flash comes out, who needs the headach? 2.0 will probably be out before Flash is.
    Has anyone done this with UNLOCKED GSM Pre's on other "non sanctioned" networks?
    ok like most I'm not all about working directly with Linux or even have that great of understanding but I can work through most of the instructions. Now the only thing I see about this post so far is that most want the MHS up because of the wifi. But what I been wondering and trying to find is just the freetetherD location. because, and I'm sorry if I'm wrong, i could have sworn that freetetherD can be used as a stand alone app right? but you have to have your phone+usb going and doesnt provide wifi. Now the thing is when I run the ipk and reboot my phone there is no icon so I can activate freetetherD........ What am I missing? or is freetetherD just the program that allows your device to be setup properly so that another app like MHS may use your data connection?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OverLordO**** View Post
    ok like most I'm not all about working directly with Linux or even have that great of understanding but I can work through most of the instructions. Now the only thing I see about this post so far is that most want the MHS up because of the wifi. But what I been wondering and trying to find is just the freetetherD location. because, and I'm sorry if I'm wrong, i could have sworn that freetetherD can be used as a stand alone app right? but you have to have your phone+usb going and doesnt provide wifi. Now the thing is when I run the ipk and reboot my phone there is no icon so I can activate freetetherD........ What am I missing? or is freetetherD just the program that allows your device to be setup properly so that another app like MHS may use your data connection?
    I believe freetetherd used to have 2 parts to it one was the service and the other the app (you would have to manualy toggle ip forwarding on).. With the patch that enabled the service once MHS was started there was no need to run the two apps...
    Used Mobile Hot spot prior to web os 1.4 update. Been following this thread religiously trying methods mentioned previously. Because of my lack of programming knowledge, I decided to go with My Tether. New version seems to work just as good as MHS. Took me more time to enter my pay pal payment then it was to be up and running again. Great Job! Well worth the donation. Good luck.