Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
    Ok I'm new to my Pre, I have downloaded all the files as listed in the posting, I can get into my phone but I can't push any of the files from my PC to my phone. I am just beginning to learn Linux and am not sure of what to do next.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

zursmo
    had MHS working prior to WebOS 1.4 update...
    just went through the updated WebOs 1.4 instructions.

issues:
    - the 2nd referenced pkg file to remove was not there (using WebOSQI)
    - started freetether app and noticed ip-forwarding was not enabled; manually enabled it
    - MHS starts, laptop connects, but MHS does not acknowledge connection, laptop not able to get to internet, MHS hangs when trying to turn it off.

tried removing the auto-ip-forward patch,
    now MHS hangs when starting up

removed everything and reinstalled again... using WebOS Quick Install.
    MHS turns on/off, but unable to get devices to connect.
    Last edited by fhelvie; 03/04/2010 at 04:32 PM.
    You can use WebOSQuickInstall to add and remove files from your Pre... however, do so at your own risk.

Remember, this is highly untested at this point so if you aren't ready to possibly have to Dr. your phone I wouldn't try it just yet.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Consider me a statistic... I followed the instructions and while I was able to get Mobile HotSpot to toggle on/off, I wasn't able to get any of my wireless devices to successfully connect. This method is unsafe - I'm in the process of doctoring my phone as we speak.
    thinking about dr. My phone back to 1.3.5 the hell with this. So all I lose is video and other small crap. How do I doctor it to 1.3.5 now. Do I need a file or just doctor it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DjQue View Post
    thinking about dr. My phone back to 1.3.5 the hell with this. So all I lose is video and other small crap. How do I doctor it to 1.3.5 now. Do I need a file or just doctor it.
    problem with dr. back to 1.3.5.1 is with time your phone with automatically update itself...... if it's just tethering your worried about just get the newest verison of mytether..... i have that with freetether to forword the ip address and it works perfectly..... i'm tethering now...
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    okay so i have all the files and i have novaterm up and running what do i do now to copy and delete the files that i need to.??? everytime i open up putty and put in my ip and change it to 222 and press open i get a connection refused message??
    Last edited by jwinn35; 03/04/2010 at 01:27 PM.
    Thank you so much, you guys!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    does anyone have this working? I can now turn MHS on and view it on my PCs available networks but I can't get it to connect....?
    We need the n00b or lazy to learn instructions to do this please.
    how do you transfer/upload files into your phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    Consider me a statistic... I followed the instructions and while I was able to get Mobile HotSpot to toggle on/off, I wasn't able to get any of my wireless devices to successfully connect. This method is unsafe - I'm in the process of doctoring my phone as we speak.
    i can also get mobile hotspot to toggle on / off.

my wireless devices ARE connecting, but not successfully pulling an ip address from the pre.

not sure how this method could be unsafe though- i just removed the file from /etc/event.d so the mhs daemon doesn't start...
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post

3. Remove the following files:

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/palm/mobilehotspotd.postinst

Hmm... I didn't have a /usr/lib/ipkg/palm/... directory

I tried deleting mobilehotspotd.postinst from /usr/lib/ipkg/info/ and following the rest of the directions and the service will not start. Anyone have any advice?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Quote Originally Posted by macd2002 View Post
    centrico, worked like a charm ty for the insight and perfect directions
    Is there any way I could get those perfect directions also? I am having the similar problem of devices connecting but no internet, and I also didn't have the /palm/ directory. Thank you much!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maleoutkast View Post
    Is there any way I could get those perfect directions also? I am having the similar problem of devices connecting but no internet. Thank you much!
    Jumped the gun sorry, I have it toggled on but couldnt connect with ip also, trying something else
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    i noticed that freetether doesnt show up as an icon also, hmmm time to goto Quick install
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    uninstalled all files with QI, dont need the tethering right now
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    just to update my last post. I have doctored my phone and was able to connect but couldn't get an ip with the stock PmNetConfigManager file located in /usr/bin

When I copied the 1.3.5 PmNetConfigManager [modified for usb tethering] file to the Pre I was able to connect to the Pre and get an ipaddress but couldn't browse. [some kind of ip forwarding issue, I guess]

[as I write this I just realized, I never tested the 1.3.5 PmNetConfigManager unmodified]

Will report back later....
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    just to update my last post. I have doctored my phone and was able to connect but couldn't get an ip with the stock PmNetConfigManager file located in /usr/bin

When I copied the 1.3.5 PmNetConfigManager [modified for usb tethering] file to the Pre I was able to connect to the Pre and get an ipaddress but couldn't browse. [some kind of ip forwarding issue, I guess]

[as I write this I just realized, I never tested the 1.3.5 PmNetConfigManager unmodified]

Will report back later....
    hmm, i replaced PmConfigManager, and it started working- but when i turn it off, then back on, it doesn't work. quitting the app, then restarting gets it to work again.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    As with PmNetConfigManager 140, PmNetConfigManager 135 [unmodified] - Allows a wifi connection in MHS but doesn't assign an IP addy to the Client PC.

PmNetConfigManager 135 [modified] - Allows a wifi connection in MHS AND assigns an IP Addy, but client still cannot browse....

HOWEVER,..............

out of curiousity... I setup my PC's wireless connection to have a static DNS server rather than receive it's DNS info through DHCP...it was still getting an IP addy via DHCP though.... I was still unable to browse tho....but not giving up just yet, I opened up a command prompt and just verified that I was able to ping the dns servers by ip address, that I just happened to know cuz of my work in the industry for over a decade.....VIOLA.... I was able to ping the DNS servers directly by IP address. For shyts and giggles.... I did an nslookup on cnn.com and got the ip address of it and entered it into a browser....VIOLA .... the browser loaded CNNs webpage. ....AGAIN...I wanted to be sure this wasn't a fluke....So I thought of a random word.....DOGWOOD..... I performed a nslookup on DOGWOOD.COM... this gave me the ip address for dogwood.com ... I loaded it into the browser so I could be sure that I wasn't loading this page from cache ... it was completely random and I'd never been to this site..... The page loaded based on ip address.

I then tried dogwood.com in the browser using it's fully qualified domain name.....VIOLA....it loaded.

This has confirmed that a modified PmNetConfigManager from v1.3.5.x [modified to allow USB tethering] and Tatsujin will work!

HOWEVER............

After a reboot of both PC and PRE I could no longer browse even with the manually entered DNS servers.

an IFCONFIG on the pre revealed that the ppp0 interface had crashed [and the EV icon in the Top Bar disappeared]. Closing MHS allowed ppp0 to come back up [EV in the TOP BAR reappeared], but then opening MHS again caused ppp0 to crash again.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 03/05/2010 at 06:07 PM.