Page 36 of 53 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Ok so i tried doing this but when my computer (mac) connects to my phone it says no internet connection. FYI i followed Tatsujin's first instructions
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Do you have to chmod 755 the file you copy to the cryptofs folder? The other files there are executable?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatsujin View Post
    Let me refine things a little bit, all you need is:

A WebOS Pre (Sprint 1.4)
    Some way to manipulate and/or transfer files/apps on the Pre (SSH/Novacom)
    The 1.0.3 Mobile Hot Spot app that was pulled from Verizon
    The Freetetherd app
    Jason Robataille's patch that automatically enables IP Forwarding in Freetetherd when the MHS app is loaded
    Some Files from an image of WebOS 1.3.5.1

All of those files are available here:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

1. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-binary directory to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/

2. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-event.d directory to /etc/event.d/

3. Remove the following files:

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/palm/mobilehotspotd.postinst

4. Reboot your phone

5. Install the Freetetherd app (us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk)

6. Install the Mobile Hot Spot app (com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk)

7. Install the patch (You will need to restart Luna after doing so) (auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch)

Once done, you should be able to fire up MHS and begin tethering again.
    I'm so lost. What did you use to get in side the program. Webos quick install. I'm lost
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    ok so i uninstalled everything and tried to follow the new steps. Now when i try installing the tether program via quick install nothing happens.
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
  5.    #705  
    TATSUJIN 1.4 METHOD RESULTS:

I followed Tatsujin's revised method, I believe it was in post 713.

When I turn on the MHS app, it works, that is it turns on, and the ip forwarding automatically enables...

Problem is, my pc's don't connect, it says they are connecting, but hangs at 'acquiring address'

Any thoughts?
    so out of curiosity...can i use these directions with webos install? if so how? and if not would i have to do it through linux....?
    hopefully a patch is made soon would love to try this out but don't feel comfortable with messing with all the system files.
    looks like progress is being made. Thank you everyone who is testing this and keep up the good work. Hopefully we will have something working soon. You guys rock!
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    so how can this be done?
    Let me refine things a little bit, all you need is:

A WebOS Pre (Sprint 1.4)
    Some way to manipulate and/or transfer files/apps on the Pre (SSH/Novacom)
    The 1.0.3 Mobile Hot Spot app that was pulled from Verizon
    The Freetetherd app
    Jason Robataille's patch that automatically enables IP Forwarding in Freetetherd when the MHS app is loaded
    Some Files from an image of WebOS 1.3.5.1

All of those files are available here:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

1. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-binary directory to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/

2. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-event.d directory to /etc/event.d/

3. Remove the following files:

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/palm/mobilehotspotd.postinst

4. Reboot your phone

5. Install the Freetetherd app (us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk)

6. Install the Mobile Hot Spot app (com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk)

7. Install the patch (You will need to restart Luna after doing so) (auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch)

Once done, you should be able to fire up MHS and begin tethering again.
    Can you give us an idea on what to use to do this?
    I am not that knowledgable in doing stuff like this, it's a little too much for me to even try, I know it maybe asking for a lot, but can someone make an easier way to install this, or even shorten the steps a little and I can probably figure it out? Maybe not necessarily in patch form, but something a bit more simpler, if it cannot be done, then I guess I'll take the risk and try it. Thanks!!!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I like the progress on this one. I'm thinking about trying it this weekend. Until then, maybe someone figures out a simple way. Maybe some screenshots as well. I really don't know how to load a file and move it to a specific folder. =\
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    hopefully a patch is made soon would love to try this out but don't feel comfortable with messing with all the system files.
    This kinda goes way beyond a "patch", because it is essentially installing several files from a previous release. Sprint did exactly what I expected they would do, they messed with the service itself in the update. Modifying existing code a bit is one thing, copying back whole files is another. So there is no "legit" way this could end up on Preware/QI that type of thing. I suppose it could be automated some with a shell script, something you could "wget" from the phone which pulls down the script and files, and places them in the right location with the correct perms.

Unfortunately, this method of getting it working might get broken yet again with the next update, if they just tweak things in a few more ways. Might end up being a cat-and-mouse game.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Regarding the line, "Some way to manipulate and/or transfer files/apps on the Pre (SSH/Novacom)" if you are really interented in learning something new adn have the time and more importantly the patience.....go to webos-internals.org and click the "Accessing Linux" link [seconf from top on the left] and read up on what's required to access your Pre's linux Operating System.

If that seems a bit overwhelming, then you'd be better off waiting for a patch. It's not worth the headache of Doctoring and RE-doctoring your phone if you mess up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post

When I turn on the MHS app, it works, that is it turns on, and the ip forwarding automatically enables...

Problem is, my pc's don't connect, it says they are connecting, but hangs at 'acquiring address'

Any thoughts?

Same here
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post

Any thoughts?
    I get similar issues. My mac connects to my phone but says no internet connection
    Almost there guys keep it up!
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Ok so who is going to perfect this and get it into a patch???

Has anyone had any ill affects from doing this? or is it to early to tell??
    I do not have this file -/usr/lib/ipkg/palm/mobilehotspotd.postinst

I do however see a file as /usr/lib/ipkg/INFO/mobilehotspotd.postinst

Is that what I want to remove? I can turn the hotspot on, and my computer sees it, but it says no internet connection when it connects.
    I got MHS working again using the 1.0.3 version MHS app under WebOS 1.4. Basically, you have to remove the following files:

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.postinst
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.control
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.list
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.md5sum

Once you have done this, you have to get some files from an older image of WebOS (1.3.5.1). This can be done by grabbing that version copy of WebOSDoctor. WebOS Internals has direct links to older versions. Once you have the .jar downloaded, extract it. Look in resources/WebOS and extract nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz. Once that is extracted, you'll have access to the clean image. Youll want to upload the following files back into your phone

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.control
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.list
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.md5sum
    /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd

Once that is done, reboot your phone. If you have freethetherd, the auto-forward patch, and MHS 1.0.3 installed you should be good to go.

From what I understand, they probably uploaded a newer version of /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd that does some sort of carrier check. They also uploaded a file /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.postinst that prevents the mobilehotspotd service from even starting if your carrier doesn't support tethering (by removing /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd. The only way around it seems to be completely replacing it with an older version.

EDIT: as stated by the previous poster, I have no clue if this any major side-effects on the phone. Do at your own risk.
    How do you remove the files!! I'm a NOOB!! I dont even i have a delete option available