Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    I found MHS to be faster and easy to use. It worked all the time with no bugs for me. Wish I had it back.

p.s. Did I mention MHS is free and works with wifi. ( no "donation" required)
    MHS is not free (more like stolen/hacked) and it does not work with wifi (now). MyTether is free (you can find the earlier verisons that were free) and works with wifi (if you downgrade your OS like you would have to with MHS to be "free" and works with wifi).
    In looking at the job start file (/etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd) it references the PmNetConfigManager located in /usr/bin/.

It's possible that this file contains the change that's preventing the MHS from sharing the internet connection.

As a caveat, I have no idea how many other systems use the PmNetConfigManager file nor do I know how swapping the 1.3.5.1 version for the 1.4.0 version would affect the rest of the OS. I take no responsibility for any bricking. ha

It would take someone much more versed in the proper language to determine if a change could be made to make this work.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I got MHS working again using the 1.0.3 version MHS app under WebOS 1.4. Basically, you have to remove the following files:

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.postinst
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.control
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.list
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.md5sum

Once you have done this, you have to get some files from an older image of WebOS (1.3.5.1). This can be done by grabbing that version copy of WebOSDoctor. WebOS Internals has direct links to older versions. Once you have the .jar downloaded, extract it. Look in resources/WebOS and extract nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz. Once that is extracted, you'll have access to the clean image. Youll want to upload the following files back into your phone

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd

Once that is done, reboot your phone. If you have freethetherd, the auto-forward patch, and MHS 1.0.3 installed you should be good to go.

From what I understand, they probably uploaded a newer version of /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd that does some sort of carrier check. They also uploaded a file /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.postinst that prevents the mobilehotspotd service from even starting if your carrier doesn't support tethering (by removing /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd. The only way around it seems to be completely replacing it with an older version.

EDIT: as stated by the previous poster, I have no clue if this any major side-effects on the phone. Do at your own risk.
    Do you mean Verizon or Sprint doctor?
    I grabbed 1.3.5.1 sprint
    REALLY?!!! Great job! Now if some dev makes this automatic thru a patch or something... Kudos Tatsujin!!!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Followed the directions, I can get the program to open and and say it is running, but it doesn't seem to let anything connect. It shows no devices connected in MHS, even though my ipod touch shows it is. Any I am getting an error when clicking on Safari.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I used Tatsujin's procedure to get MHS working on my Pre. I am able to connect to the Pre using my PC running XP.

However, it's not allowing me to browse.

However, I am using PmNetConfigManager from 1.3.5 because I wanted to tether over USB.

Will go back to PmNetConfigManager 1.4 and update you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    In looking at the job start file (/etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd) it references the PmNetConfigManager located in /usr/bin/.

It's possible that this file contains the change that's preventing the MHS from sharing the internet connection.

As a caveat, I have no idea how many other systems use the PmNetConfigManager file nor do I know how swapping the 1.3.5.1 version for the 1.4.0 version would affect the rest of the OS. I take no responsibility for any bricking. ha

It would take someone much more versed in the proper language to determine if a change could be made to make this work.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    I used Tatsujin's procedure to get MHS working on my Pre. I am able to connect to the Pre using my PC running XP.

However, it's not allowing me to browse.

However, I am using PmNetConfigManager from 1.3.5 because I wanted to tether over USB.

Will go back to PmNetConfigManager 1.4 and update you guys.
    Were you also using the freetetherd/freeTether? It sounds like you got everything running except the IP forwarding.

Out of curiosity, were you noticing any other ill effects from running the 1.3.5.1 PmNetConfigManager on 1.4.0?
    Can you post with the files needed attached? I do not have much experience with unpacking the webOSDoctor.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Can you post with the files needed attached? I do not have much experience with unpacking the webOSDoctor.
    I won't post proprietary Palm files here, as that's a good way to get the thread deleted... but I can tell you that if you have winRAR, unpacking the Dr. is no more difficult than opening a .zip file.

Once you have the .jar downloaded, right click on it and choose "Extract" - which should become an available option after you install WinRAR - then navigate to: resources/WebOS/nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz. This is basically the root file structure of the Pre without the carrier specific apps and such.

All the files will be in the same folders that you would find them on the Pre. The ones you need are in the /usr/bin/, /etc/event.d/ and /usr/lib/ipkg/info/ folders.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Yes, I am using the Freetetherd/freeTether app....freeTether says ipforwarding was enabled.

So, I went back to v1.4.0 of PmNetConfigManager and tried to connect to wifi, and couldn't even connect. When I went back to v1.3.5 of PmNetConfigManager not only was I able to connect I was able to browse.....

But here is what's weird.... I was only able to browse to certain sites. I couldn't post here for example. But I got to google and a few other sports sites that I frequent. I am on USB currently so I know that USB tethering works still and there were no ill affects that I have noticed using 135 of PmNetConfigManager on webOS 1.4.

But I am at a loss as to why 1) I cannot connect using v140 of PmNetConfigManager with v135 MHS 2) Am able to connect and browse using v135 of PmNetConfigManager and MHS but am only able to browse certain sites.

{shrugs shoulders}
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I won't post proprietary Palm files here, as that's a good way to get the thread deleted... but I can tell you that if you have winRAR, unpacking the Dr. is no more difficult than opening a .zip file.

Once you have the .jar downloaded, right click on it and choose "Extract" - which should become an available option after you install WinRAR - then navigate to: resources/WebOS/nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz. This is basically the root file structure of the Pre without the carrier specific apps and such.

All the files will be in the same folders that you would find them on the Pre. The ones you need are in the /usr/bin/, /etc/event.d/ and /usr/lib/ipkg/info/ folders.
    cool, thanks I will give it a shot.

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Okay now I am posting over wifi using v 135 of MHS & PmNetConfigManager.

I have changed nothing!!!

It is extremely slow tho..... wondering about iptables....???

Edit: Still can't get to webos-internals.org
    Let me refine things a little bit, all you need is:

A WebOS Pre (Sprint 1.4)
    Some way to manipulate and/or transfer files/apps on the Pre (SSH/Novacom)
    The 1.0.3 Mobile Hot Spot app that was pulled from Verizon
    The Freetetherd app
    Jason Robataille's patch that automatically enables IP Forwarding in Freetetherd when the MHS app is loaded
    Some Files from an image of WebOS 1.3.5.1

All of those files are available here:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

1. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-binary directory to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/

2. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-event.d directory to /etc/event.d/

3. Remove the following files:

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/palm/mobilehotspotd.postinst

4. Reboot your phone

5. Install the Freetetherd app (us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk)

6. Install the Mobile Hot Spot app (com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk)

7. Install the patch (You will need to restart Luna after doing so) (auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch)

Once done, you should be able to fire up MHS and begin tethering again.
    do you have to hook the phone to the cpu when doing all this. Extracting. I'm totally lost. I have webosdoctor and webosquickinstall. But don't know what to do next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatsujin View Post
    Let me refine things a little bit, all you need is:

A WebOS Pre (Sprint 1.4)
    Some way to manipulate and/or transfer files/apps on the Pre (SSH/Novacom)
    The 1.0.3 Mobile Hot Spot app that was pulled from Verizon
    The Freetetherd app
    Jason Robataille's patch that automatically enables IP Forwarding in Freetetherd when the MHS app is loaded
    Some Files from an image of WebOS 1.3.5.1

All of those files are available here:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

1. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-binary directory to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/

2. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-event.d directory to /etc/event.d/

3. Remove the following files:

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/palm/mobilehotspotd.postinst

4. Reboot your phone

5. Install the Freetetherd app (us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk)

6. Install the Mobile Hot Spot app (com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk)

7. Install the patch (You will need to restart Luna after doing so) (auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch)

Once done, you should be able to fire up MHS and begin tethering again.
    Says the download is temp unavailable. N/M is working now
    Last edited by Butters3605; 03/03/2010 at 04:59 PM.

18.    #698  
    Copying the Above to the First/Original Post
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatsujin View Post
    I got MHS working again using the 1.0.3 version MHS app under WebOS 1.4. Basically, you have to remove the following files:

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.postinst

Once you have done this, you have to get some files from an older image of WebOS (1.3.5.1). This can be done by grabbing that version copy of WebOSDoctor. WebOS Internals has direct links to older versions. Once you have the .jar downloaded, extract it. Look in resources/WebOS and extract nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz. Once that is extracted, you'll have access to the clean image. Youll want to upload the following files back into your phone

/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd

Once that is done, reboot your phone. If you have freethetherd, the auto-forward patch, and MHS 1.0.3 installed you should be good to go.

From what I understand, they probably uploaded a newer version of /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd that does some sort of carrier check. They also uploaded a file /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.postinst that prevents the mobilehotspotd service from even starting if your carrier doesn't support tethering (by removing /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd. The only way around it seems to be completely replacing it with an older version.

EDIT: as stated by the previous poster, I have no clue if this any major side-effects on the phone. Do at your own risk.
    i saw an issue on the filess Should be /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.md5sums
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    download is temp unavailable..
    Never Mind
    Help a guy thats down and out on his luck..