Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
    It's not the App that's the issue any more... it appears that the Sprint 1.4 image doesn't include the service that allows MHS to run.

It might be a simple issue to pull the service from the Verizon Doctor file, but getting it to run is another issue altogether. I wish i knew enough to work on it myself, but alas, I do not. ha

Right now, if you absolutely must tether, the "donor" version of Mytether is the only working option that I'm aware of.

I'm sure someone will get this up and running at some point... probably about 2 weeks before 1.5 comes out and breaks it again. hahaha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by dandman8 View Post
    Do you mind sharing why you prefer MHS? I haven't tried the latest version of MyTether and will probably just wait for MHS.
    I can't answer for him, but I find MHS to be faster, easier to use, and more stable (when it was working). One feature I really like of MHS is the audible tone when connections are made. But MT has the neat graph.

Both are nice.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    It's not the App that's the issue any more... it appears that the Sprint 1.4 image doesn't include the service that allows MHS to run.
    That is also my understanding

Right now, if you absolutely must tether, the "donor" version of Mytether is the only working option that I'm aware of.
    Despite what Aonic says or posts, it is not a "donor" version, it is a paid version. A donation is something given of free will with no requirements, no strings. The MyTether non-freeware version is a commercial app that you must pay for and you are purchasing a product, making you a customer. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, what you said isn't quite correct. You CAN tether with freetether/d still, just not through WiFi. The paid version of MyTether 2.1, at the moment, is the only option for WiFi tethering.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I can't answer for him, but I find MHS to be faster, easier to use, and more stable (when it was working). One feature I really like of MHS is the audible tone when connections are made. But MT has the neat graph.

Both are nice.
    I found MHS to be faster and easy to use. It worked all the time with no bugs for me. Wish I had it back.

p.s. Did I mention MHS is free and works with wifi. ( no "donation" required)
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.

It might be a simple issue to pull the service from the Verizon Doctor file, but getting it to run is another issue altogether. I wish i knew enough to work on it myself, but alas, I do not. ha

I'm sure someone will get this up and running at some point... probably about 2 weeks before 1.5 comes out and breaks it again. hahaha
    What is the name of the service needed can one simply go to 1.3.5.1 and get the service and place it in 1.4?
    I believe the service was "mobilehotspotd"... but I am just grabbing that from memory... I could be wrong. ha
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

Despite what Aonic says or posts, it is not a "donor" version, it is a paid version. A donation is something given of free will with no requirements, no strings. The MyTether non-freeware version is a commercial app that you must pay for and you are purchasing a product, making you a customer. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.
    There is a reason I put donor in quotes in my post.

No matter what you want to call it, if you want the app - through standard channels - you have to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    What is the name of the service needed can one simply go to 1.3.5.1 and get the service and place it in 1.4?
    Looking into 1.3.5.1 a bit more...

It looks like the file is /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd

There appear to be at least 4 other files that control the service as well... and here is where it gets out of my programing league...

In: /usr/lib/ipkg/info there are 3 mobilehotspotd files, a .list a .md5sums and a .control

There is also a mobilehotspotd file in /etc/event.d that appears to be the start job file for the service.

If anyone is brave enough to insert these files into 1.4.0 and give it a shot, I salute you. I would try it, but I am way over my comfort level just finding this stuff. ha

EDIT: Digging around in 1.4.0 I found a mobilehotspotd.postinst file says:
    Code:
    # This used to be an upstart daemon, so we need to make sure to remove the file
    	rm -f /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd
    So now I wonder if replacing the daemon file, removing the .postinst file and replacing the file in /etc/event.d would do the trick?
    Last edited by Spader; 03/02/2010 at 11:32 PM.
    I never used any of the tether apps, however my wifi sucks on my computer and the wifi receiver sucks more so I barely get wifi to work and am always stufk using my phone browser which is ok alot of times but not always. If ever this gets working (sorry not forceably "donating "donating" for something that echnically we aren't really supposed to be doing ao that if one day sprint says something we are stuck with something we can't use, plus I hear hotspot is better anyway), can I connect my computer via usb to get the signal? Would love to use the wireless part for my I touch. I see nice possibilites with that in the car too
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrico View Post
    Nice find Spader
    +1 it seems like it is getting closer to someone getting MHS working again on 1.4
    doctored back to 1.3.5.1 solely because of my desperate need for internet access, if someone can get MHS running on 1.4, I will go back. I am done with Mytether....
    My tether works great now
    Looking into 1.3.5.1 a bit more...

It looks like the file is /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd

There appear to be at least 4 other files that control the service as well... and here is where it gets out of my programing league...

In: /usr/lib/ipkg/info there are 3 mobilehotspotd files, a .list a .md5sums and a .control

There is also a mobilehotspotd file in /etc/event.d that appears to be the start job file for the service.

If anyone is brave enough to insert these files into 1.4.0 and give it a shot, I salute you. I would try it, but I am way over my comfort level just finding this stuff. ha

EDIT: Digging around in 1.4.0 I found a mobilehotspotd.postinst file says:
    Code:
    # This used to be an upstart daemon, so we need to make sure to remove the file
    	rm -f /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd
    So now I wonder if replacing the daemon file, removing the .postinst file and replacing the file in /etc/event.d would do the trick?
    I put the mobilehotspotd in /etc/event.d I can now turn the switch on but it immediately pops up a message saying Sharing an internet connection requires an additon to your mobile service plan Contact my carrier for help. Going to bed now at least she is breathing now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mamouton; 03/03/2010 at 01:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Did you try it with the blue tooth off? I know that created an issue with me before! Worth a shot!!!
    i have downloaded and the mobile hot spot comes on my pre but not the tether
    I have the program running, but not connecting as well. I am wondering if Palm or Verizon (or Sprint) made a change to force Verizon subscribers to download the HotSpotMojoService when you subscribe to that service :

function AppAssistant(appController)
    {
    this.systemService = new SystemMojoService;
    this.hotspotService = new HotspotMojoService;
    this.telephonyService = new TelephonyMojoService;
    }

I wonder if we can find that same service in the older version of Mobile HotSpot for 1.3.5.1?

Edit: Nevermind- answered my own question...Hotspotmojoservice is already included in the ipk
    Last edited by arkieboy; 03/03/2010 at 10:12 AM.
    I put the mobilehotspotd in /etc/event.d I can now turn the switch on but it immediately pops up a message saying Sharing an internet connection requires an additon to your mobile service plan Contact my carrier for help. Going to bed now at least she is breathing now.
    I always go that message if I forgot to turn off bluetooth. Where can I get this file can you attach it here as a zip. And say how you installed it.
    hey looking at ur png file. You did have your bluetooth on turn it off and try it. Also what was used to install that file. Can you zip it again.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I can confirm the Internet Connection Sharing message ....

I've tried running MHS using the 1.3.5, 1.3.5.1 and 1.4.0 mobilehotspotd.control, list, and md5sum files.

Obtained the files from webOS Doctor of each of the respective versions.

I never use Bluetooth so it was never turned on.