Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0686 View Post
    My questions is there a way to tether Palm pre for free thats on sprint to a mac that has snow leopard.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2201694
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Thank you for putting up with me! I just didn't want to go through allll those pages. I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    You get that error when BlueTooth is on.

If you turn BT off before tethering you shouldn't get that message.
    I turned off my bluetooth and that did indeed do the trick in gettiing rid of the pop up message but for some reason I am still unable to connect to the internet. I enable the the IP forwarding in freetether turn on the MHS and connect my laptop via wifi. My phone beeps to signal that it is connected and it shows up as a connected device on MHS and my laptop shows that it is conected to my Pre but I can not load any web pages.Somebody please help explain what I'm doing wrong
    I'm struggling to set up tethering on my Verizon Pre. Insalled MyTether originally and it made my phone overheat - So I'm trying Free Tether and got it working but when open a web page on my laptop I get a Verizon screen wanting me to buy their service and get stuck there.

I think I should dump everything and start over:

Questions:
    1. How can I uninstall My Tether completely? I think it may be conflicting
    2. There are so many posts hear about various ways to install Free Tether, I cant tell which is most current/correct - and cant find what works on Verizon. Can someone point me to the right place?
    3. Do I need to Dr. the phone and restart?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanew View Post
    I'm struggling to set up tethering on my Verizon Pre.
    I don't believe this stuff works on Verizon. They have a legit tethering plan. Otherwise, you will have to investigate MyTether.
    Finally got up and running and it's working like a charm.Does anyone know if Sprint can tell when we're using this and if we should be expecting any surprises in our next bill even if we have unlimited data??
    Quote Originally Posted by tjy724 View Post
    Finally got up and running and it's working like a charm.Does anyone know if Sprint can tell when we're using this and if we should be expecting any surprises in our next bill even if we have unlimited data??
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2177087

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2177990

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2179847
    My pre is not as fast as it should be. It is also brand new, after my replacement for the cracked screen issues. Any ideas? I am on Sprint using Mytether 2.1.0.

Get ride of MyTether its a pile, that screws stuff up on your phone.
    Does anyone else get super crappy download speeds with this? I am getting sub 100k a sec.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzbuten View Post
    Does anyone else get super crappy download speeds with this? I am getting sub 100k a sec.
    From my experiences, it's hit or miss. For example, I got awesome 1mb download speeds a few weekends ago. But at home, it runs a little slower.

I suggest investigating what your map looks like. Meaning, what is the coverage in your area. And I mean down to the street level.
    Easiest way I found to look into this is using an iPod touch.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyparisi View Post
    Get ride of MyTether its a pile, that screws stuff up on your phone.
    MyTether has come a long way. Before, it used to be a mess to uninstall. But now, the developer has worked with the WebOS Internals peeps to make it a better program. Gotta respect that.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    any ideas i am getting the your plan won't work error! lol
    Last edited by pchrist; 02/23/2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: ok i'll answer my own question bluetooth works fine now!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by theguilfoyle View Post
    I am on Sprint using Mytether 2.1.0.
    This thread is about MHS/freetether, not mytether.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    MyTether has come a long way. Before, it used to be a mess to uninstall. But now, the developer has worked with the WebOS Internals peeps to make it a better program. Gotta respect that.
    It has come a long way, but not because of the WebOS Internals people. All they did was to help with the installer. The major change in MyTether was the switch to using the same underlying tether service in WebOS that MHS uses. This is the best of my understanding of the situation at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    any ideas i am getting the your plan won't work error! lol
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2239279
    Quote Originally Posted by tjy724 View Post
    I turned off my bluetooth and that did indeed do the trick in gettiing rid of the pop up message but for some reason I am still unable to connect to the internet. I enable the the IP forwarding in freetether turn on the MHS and connect my laptop via wifi. My phone beeps to signal that it is connected and it shows up as a connected device on MHS and my laptop shows that it is conected to my Pre but I can not load any web pages.Somebody please help explain what I'm doing wrong
    Un-install freetetherD_0.0.3 armv7 and re-install it. That should do the trick.

Also if your using vista follow these steps:
    1. Open "Network and Sharing Center"

2. On the left click "manage network connections"

3. Right Click on the hot spot connection (whatever it is named)

4. Select "diagnose"

5. After it works a second, select "Reset Network adapter, wireless network connection"

After it does this, wait 20-50 seconds, try to pull a website, usually comes right on. May have to do it twice, but it always works for me. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    Un-install freetetherD_0.0.3 armv7 and re-install it. That should do the trick.

Also if your using vista follow these steps:
    1. Open "Network and Sharing Center"

2. On the left click "manage network connections"

3. Right Click on the hot spot connection (whatever it is named)

4. Select "diagnose"

5. After it works a second, select "Reset Network adapter, wireless network connection"

After it does this, wait 20-50 seconds, try to pull a website, usually comes right on. May have to do it twice, but it always works for me. Hope that helps.
    yep another person PM'd me these steps yesterday and I can confirm to anyone having trouble that they worked perfectly you may have to repeat the steps after signing out and then back again but it only takes a second.On a sort of related note has anybody had the Sprint pop up warning come on when their NOT using MHS but it's installed on their phone??? it's happened to me 3 times in the last two days under these conditions-- phone sitting on touchstone with WIFI on and streaming slacker radio over bluetooth to a motorola dc800 to my home stereo. the pop up stops slacker radio and I have to close it and shut down WIFI to get it restarted
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    i keep getting an error on quick install when i try to install any of the armv7.ipk file or the FreeTetherD from the "manage your feeds" option...

mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-root on / failed: Device or resource busy

do i need to root my pre?

i'm running XP and 3.01 version of Quick Install.

EDIT: I fixd my problem.. just updated the latest Service Package Manager.. hope this goes!

EDIT 2: I got it running connected iTouch just fine.

However, when i close the Mobile Hot Spot or diasable it, my 'phone' portion of the Pre doesn't work? I had to reboot in order to use SMS/phone. Is this normal?
    Last edited by deanwoof; 02/24/2010 at 02:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deanwoof View Post
    i keep getting an error on quick install when i try to install any of the armv7.ipk file or the FreeTetherD from the "manage your feeds" option...
    You already answered your own question, below (that was answered 1,000 times already in the thread).
    do i need to root my pre?
    Technically, there is no just thing as "rooting" a Pre. It isn't locked down like an iphone. You just need it in developer mode... which is not a hack, not a secret, and not "rooting". (Thanks Palm!!)
    However, when i close the Mobile Hot Spot or diasable it, my 'phone' portion of the Pre doesn't work? I had to reboot in order to use SMS/phone. Is this normal?
    eeew... no, that is not normal. And you are the first such report of that type of behavior. I don't even know what to possibly suggest, at all.