Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
    Well, crxssi, as frustrating as this stuff is, i love it. As far as the order of things, im not really sure. I literally tried it in every possible order imaginable. I will take it and try not to mess up my phone. But as always, just like in life, its all a lesson to be learned. Thanks for all of your help. Much appreciated. ~fart~ excuse me
    just for the record.

tried doing this on my Pixi Plus and it still gave me that screen from Verizon to subscribe to mobile hotspot (that page displayed on my connected wifi device)
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Please read the zillion other posts. Again, this has been answered over and over again
    You seem to be pretty knowledgable on this topic. I have a question: Inside the package http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7/Packages there is something called DS_Store should this be installed via WebOS QI also or just the freetetherd.
    I ask because I see it but nobody ever mentions it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    there is something called DS_Store should this be installed via WebOS QI also or just the freetetherd. I ask because I see it but nobody ever mentions it.
    Personally, I have never seen it or heard of it.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Thanks to all who posted instructions here......just did this tonight.....yes it's working!(I'm using it right now ) well done...all
    Personally, I have never seen it or heard of it.
    inside the link in red when you open it is 4 files: Mobile hotspot, freetether 0.0.1, freetetherD 0.0.3 & ds_store. At least it is when you use manage feeds inside webOS QI toopen the package & install it.
    it shows like that when I followed the instructions one the OP on page one.
    inside the link in red when you open it is 4 files: Mobile hotspot, freetether 0.0.1, freetetherD 0.0.3 & ds_store. At least it is when you use manage feeds inside webOS QI toopen the package & install it.
    Oh!! Translation: "There is a file named ds_store that was inside the archive I downloaded from someone that was supposed to contain the mhs & freetether & freetetherd packages. What is that file? Should I try to install it?"

It is probably just some type of information or readme file related to whatever method they used for creating or distributing the archive. You can safely ignore it. mhs & freetether & freetetherd are all you need.
    Oh!! Translation: "There is a file named ds_store that was inside the archive I downloaded from someone that was supposed to contain the mhs & freetether & freetetherd packages. What is that file? Should I try to install it?"

It is probably just some type of information or readme file related to whatever method they used for creating or distributing the archive. You can safely ignore it. mhs & freetether & freetetherd are all you need.
    OK Thanks. I thought that was what i said...LOL. I didnt know. Already had to DR. my phone once before so im a little cautious now.
    If you've switched from mytether to MHS and have had a slower connection than before like I did you can get it back to normal by updating ur net settings and PRL. heres how

Bring up the dialer card, select the sprint tab in the upper left corner, select preferences, enable data roaming, select update network settings, select update PRL (preferred roaming list). I update network settings and the PRL every once in a while if I'm in a different cell tower region and am getting a low signal.

this helped me cause when I switched from mytether to MHS my speeds dropped drastically. I went from 1.2mb-1.5mbps to .8mb and .9mbps at best. now with the network settings update and PRL update I receive at least 1.2mbps which aint bad at all
    but mainly update the net settings. PRL not so much but it wont hurt either.

it werked for me maybe it'll werk for you too
    I like my tether it is very simple to install.
    I did all that and when i try to connect I get a warning on my phone the internet sharing is not allowed. What did I do wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by electrical1213 View Post
    I like my tether it is very simple to install.
    That's nice. For me, installing freetether/MHS took about 1 min.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmzero View Post
    I update network settings and the PRL every once in a while if I'm in a different cell tower region and am getting a low signal
    Neither tethering solution touch the PRL (preferred roaming list) phone-to-tower network settings. It you find yourself needing to update the PRL, it isn't because of switching from one tether program to another. You might live in a fringe area, or have an unreliable tower that is coming and going. Might also be in an area with a lot of active upgrading going on (adding/upgrading/changing/moving towers around).
    @ CRXSSI I have a question I dr.'d my phone. before i doctored i had: upstart manager Service & Example service. Now since I've reapplied all my prior patches and apps. I notice these arent there. I assume they have to do with patches and/or apps working properly. Should i install these again any way or am I ok without them?

I ask because I uninstalled MHS because it was acting funny and when i reinstalled it I got a message saying that I needed Diffstat which wasnt on my device. That message didnt come up the first time I installed it. I installed it on a Windows xp Pro CPU the first time & i reinstalled it on my brothers Mac OSX the 2nd time when i got the message.

So I figure maybe my machine didnt notice the missing services and allowed the install of certain patches/apps anyway.

Note: I have WebOS QI 3.01 & the up to date preware & webOS 1.3.5.1, incase that matters
    @ CRXSSI I have a question I dr.'d my phone. before i doctored i had: upstart manager Service & Example service. Now since I've reapplied all my prior patches and apps. I notice these arent there. I assume they have to do with patches and/or apps working properly. Should i install these again any way or am I ok without them?

I ask because I uninstalled MHS because it was acting funny and when i reinstalled it I got a message saying that I needed Diffstat which wasnt on my device. That message didnt come up the first time I installed it. I installed it on a Windows xp Pro CPU the first time & i reinstalled it on my brothers Mac OSX the 2nd time when i got the message.

So I figure maybe my machine didnt notice the missing services and allowed the install of certain patches/apps anyway.
    I use Preware exclusively, so I can't really answer all your questions.
    1) It doesn't matter if you run QI on Linux, MacOS, or MS-Windows, it will work/operate the same.
    2) Preware loads all dependencies automatically (or, at least, it is SUPPOSED to, and it does for me). I thought QI would too
    3) Diffstat is needed for installing most patches
    4) "upstart" is just needed for a few games (I think), I checked my phone and I have it installed. Linux apps installed are: diffstat, GNU Patch, and Lsdiff. Linux services are: freetetherd, package manager, systoolsmgr, and upstart manager
    5) In the list, above, only "package manager service" is required for installing freetether/d & MHS.
    I use Preware exclusively, so I can't really answer all your questions.
    1) It doesn't matter if you run QI on Linux, MacOS, or MS-Windows, it will work/operate the same.
    2) Preware loads all dependencies automatically (or, at least, it is SUPPOSED to, and it does for me). I thought QI would too
    3) Diffstat is needed for installing most patches
    4) "upstart" is just needed for a few games (I think), I checked my phone and I have it installed. Linux apps installed are: diffstat, GNU Patch, and Lsdiff. Linux services are: freetetherd, package manager, systoolsmgr, and upstart manager
    5) In the list, above, only "package manager service" is required for installing freetether/d & MHS.
    Ok Thanks. I'm just gonna install them again, since they were there before. I have now found out that my problems were from using the update all feeds on preware, with the AUPT 2 bugs that hadnt been worked out.
    Is anyone else getting this message?

-Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Is anyone else getting this message?

-Craig
    You get that error when BlueTooth is on.

If you turn BT off before tethering you shouldn't get that message.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I don't want to sound ignorant but there is ALOT of posts here and I tried reading them but its all over the place.

My questions is there a way to tether Palm pre for free thats on sprint to a mac that has snow leopard.

I am leaving for a work trip in the next 24 hours and need wifi while down there, won't be at a hotspot since i will be at a baseball field reporting.

HELP PLEASE!

If there is already a step by step just post it but like i said this topic is loooonng and I really don't have time jumping around trying different ideas.

Thanks in advanced