Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Does anybody have any other tests I could do? Nothing crazy like p2p. So overall, this MHS is sweet, amazing, and so convenient.
    I would suggest a cumulative total bandwidth used test so you realize how quickly you will go over your limits and bring the attention of Sprint down on top of you
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    will this work on a Verizon Pre? (you know what i mean...)
    I was able to get everything working just fine, then got a message saying that my service doesn't support wi-fi tethering, I doctored the phone now I can't flip the switch to turn on the MHS. Is anyone else experiencing this? Really don't want to have to spend $100 per month for wi-fi access with Sprint even if is a 4g connection.
    It is working for me. I hooked up my iPod Touch through it and it worked fine. I'm still nervous about doing something wrong and crapping my phone, but so far, so good.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I normally go about 1-2GBs of data a month. Right now, I'm at 500MB with the end being 10 days from now.
    Almost every time when I turn back on MHS, I have to open freeTether and re-enable the ip forwarding setting again. Sometimes it remembers the setting, but 95% of the time I have to run freeTether and enable the option again. Does it do that for everyone else too?

Is there a way to have it remember those settings so I don't have to run the freeTether app and renable it everytime?

~Sent using my Palm Pre~

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    for what its worth, I was having problems and this is what i did to fix it.

-DONT change the ssid (the name of the wireless network that will broadcast)
    -changed my WPA security to "open", removing passphrase

doing these two things nd my WIFI connection is as fast as my broadband. Before I couldnt even connect to the tethered Pre hotspot app.

I had changed the SSID to a diff name just to personalize it. This is what caused me to lose ability to connect. Just to speed it up, I removed the WPA security, just made it an open network. I can see who is connected with the app anyways.

Try it if you are having problems. And thanks to everyone that made this possible.
    I am having trouble getting the speed to be fast. I changed the default name of the network but I dont know what the orginal network name was, as someone already suggested to leave that normal and make the network open. I did a speed test in the browser of my Pre and got 600kbits/s but when I do a speed test on my iPod touch connected to MHS, I get about 40 kbits/s. I'm connected to Ev-Do so it should be faster. Any suggestions on how to make it faster? I restarted my phone after I installed MHS.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefreymaster View Post
    I changed the default name of the network but I dont know what the orginal network name was, as someone already suggested to leave that normal and make the network open.
    Code:
    I think the defualt SSID was webOS Network BA:DA:D0
    Tried this weekend for the first time. Connected but couldn't get the web, so someone recommended just restarting it. That worked, for about 15 minutes or so. Then it started disconnecting. Could reconnect by clicking on the network, but it would then disconnect on its own after just a few minutes. I was roaming the entire time; anyone have any suggestions as to what was causing that?
    Quote Originally Posted by DjQue View Post
    I have a macbook pro and it connects with no problems.you have to make sure on your phone the bluetooth is off. And you see the EV logo in the top of your phone. And your forward up is on
    Solution found. The problem was a few weeks ago Google announced a DNS offering which I tried. Turns out I didn't unconfigure it properly when I switched back. I used safari's network troubleshooter which reset my DNS settings and i am good to go.

Thanks everyone for the responses and the lesson learned...if you are using google's DNS settings and revert back, make sure you to it properly.
    When trying to install us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk with Web Os Quick Install I get an error 4: cannot find package us.ryanhope.freetetherd. (see attachment).

I've tried two separate networks, 2 separate systems (XP 32bit and Win 7 64bit) to no avail.

Anyone else having these problems? I also can't access the package directory at http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...armv7/Packages with webosquickinstall but can see the info in my web browser.

Everything else installs and works fine.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I had this working this morning, but then had to DR my phone for other reasons.
    Now I'm trying to get this working again and I'm not getting anywhere.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything. The freetether stuff works fine, and I can get a USB connection, but MHS tells me "Mobile HotSpot service is not running"

Anyone fix this?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Would someone be kind enough to PM me this file ) or where I can find it, com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk?

I had it working but had to doctor my phone. I should have saved it but I didn't.

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by exids View Post
    When trying to install us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk with Web Os Quick Install I get an error 4: cannot find package us.ryanhope.freetetherd.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2201694
    Quote Originally Posted by pksublime View Post
    I had this working this morning, but then had to DR my phone for other reasons. I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything. The freetether stuff works fine, and I can get a USB connection, but MHS tells me "Mobile HotSpot service is not running". Anyone fix this?
    Eeeew. That is a new one I haven't heard of before. Did you try a complete reboot after installing MHS?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Eeeew. That is a new one I haven't heard of before. Did you try a complete reboot after installing MHS?
    ahh, might have found the problem...my doctor was old 1.3.5.. updating now
    please hold
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    yep that did it! stupid me
    Just to let everyone know, not that it really matters, but i have seen so many conflicting ways for mobile hotspot to be set up. I had it working for a while after it first came out then ran into a problem with a different patch that i was using and loved. I couldnt get the patch to work properly so i doctored my phone. (what a pain in the a**). I put all my patches back after doctoring including the one that wasnt working. Everything was fine. So i decided to re-install all three ipk address and nothing was happening. Mobile hotspot wouldnt find the IP address. I tried to reset, restart, tied the ip enable patch. Nothing was working, I literally read through every single thread including the thread for the ip forward patch. I literally have a huge headache but am happy now. I figured out what i had to do to fix it. All i did was deleted the patch and all 3 ipk files and restarted my phone. I then installed free tether, freetetherd, mhs. Just in that order all at once. Guess what, after 1 day and several hours getting frustrated along with the tremendous headache, it works. Try that. Do the freetether, freetetherd and mobilehotspot in that order all at once. It worked for me. Hope it works for everyone else. Thanks for all the post and help. Peace!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerenyq View Post
    Do the freetether, freetetherd and mobilehotspot in that order all at once. It worked for me. Hope it works for everyone else. Thanks for all the post and help. Peace!!!
    I am glad you had success and shared your story! But I still don't believe it makes any difference in what order the three are installed (of course, I could be wrong). They are not patches and don't interact with each other on a file basis. I suspect the mystery was solved in some other way (having uninstalled something else, not having had the daemon running, a reset, something). But I feel your frustration, I do this kinda tech stuff for a living and there are many MANY times when things break or "heal" without a clear cause or reason... and seemingly endless tests and experimentation will come up with unclear or conflicting results
    Last edited by crxssi; 02/18/2010 at 07:17 PM.