Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    My tether is still buggy. We havent had a problem with Mobile Hotspot yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gee View Post
    Just buy the new version of my tether.$15. Just download a windows installer,install and you are good to go.no patches,nothing. Had an instant hotspot without rooting ,etc. I'm very pleased
    1) You need no patches for freetether/MHS either
    2) The Pre never needs "rooting", just developer mode. And that is very easy, and it is also required by that installer for Mytether
    3) It took me about 30 seconds to install and use freetether/MHS (of course, for many others, that has not necessarily been the case)
    4) freetether/MHS is free... although it can be "expensive" if your time is worth nothing and are having problems

From what I have seen, the newest version of Mytether has added the missing features people have wanted, and fixed the issues with the wifi/camera by using the same tethering service that MHS uses. I own Mytether too, but haven't updated in a long time (since I rarely tether, and freetether/MHS came along). I will probably check it out soon, but this thread *IS* about freetether/MHS, not about Mytether....
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stkupprnc View Post
    Strange??? I finally got MHS to work, but only with windows. My Mac sees MHS, connects to it and then nothing. Same configuration connected by windows and it works. Tried a windows machine and bootcamp with the same outcome. No love for mac. Anyone out there get MHS to work with a mac? If so please let me know what I have to do.

Thanks
    I have a mac and MHS works fine for me. But I had the same problem when I first got it. My mac would see MHS and it would connect but no internet. I had to turn Airport off and turn it back on a couple of times and magically, it finally connected. I wish I could suggest a better fix, but that's exactly how it happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I had no idea what you were talking about, since
    I can't say. But most people posting slower MHS speeds are not comparing to anything (and even .82Mb is not bad for many areas, so in those cases, I wouldn't be surprised or alarmed). I get the same speed with both (as do most people that have compared). I haven't seen anyone answer that kind of question before with anything that might be helpful. It does sound like there is some type of unknown problem with your setup. If you get ANY speed, then it must be installed properly, so there must be some type of conflict or setting issue. Other than something extreme, like Dr'ing the phone and installing just freetether/d/mhs as a test, I don't know what else to try. It is probably not worth the effort if you have mytether working, and because the new WebOS is coming out in just a few days (and might break one, the other, or both).
    yeah your right .82Mb/s isnt that bad and sometimes i do get higher results up to 1.0Mb/s and i have tried installing both MHS and my tether on different occasions either 1 or the other not both with doctoring in between both and just installing 1 of those apps. but i still get the same results as far as speed in MHS vs my tether. i do have full reception where i am (5 bars) Ive tried a lot of different tests still with no answer as far as why MHS is slower on my pre. could it be that DR1.3.5 doesnt get everything out? cause it does leave apps and even though i deleted every app and patch some thing might have been left by the oh so intrusive my tether 2.0.4 patch. well i guess ill just have to get a second opinion from another DR. but either way it looks like im gonna stick with MHS thanks for your help. one thing though is my ping is pretty quick. AVG 182ms
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Ok. I don't know if anyone remembers me from the past post, but I was having MAJOR issues getting my MHS back working again. I found the problem and I fixed it the good ol fashion way.

Basically, I had the MHS when it came out. Then the next Monday, I saw in Preware that MHS was out, but it was the VzW version. Being an *****, I tried DLing it and nope. Didn't work. However, even when I uninstalled MHS and put in the Sprint (leaked) version, it acted like the VzW MHS was installed.

To fix, I simply doctored my phone and cleaned it and started from scratch. Now I got it working with Jason's patch and it's sweet. Connection needs work, but hey. It's something and I'm happy. I'm doing the real word testing throughout the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexMexSol View Post
    I have a mac and MHS works fine for me. But I had the same problem when I first got it. My mac would see MHS and it would connect but no internet. I had to turn Airport off and turn it back on a couple of times and magically, it finally connected. I wish I could suggest a better fix, but that's exactly how it happened.
    Just tried your suggestion. Wish I could report that it worked but sadly I am still receiving no mac love from MHS.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyone else having the same issue with a mac and have a solution that worked to get up and running?
    when i try to install the free tethered service i get an error, everything else works but i dont have an ip address in the free tether app..
    please help
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Basically, I had the MHS when it came out. Then the next Monday, I saw in Preware that MHS was out, but it was the VzW version. Being an *****, I tried DLing it and nope. Didn't work. However, even when I uninstalled MHS and put in the Sprint (leaked) version, it acted like the VzW MHS was installed.

To fix, I simply doctored my phone and cleaned it and started from scratch. Now I got it working with Jason's patch and it's sweet. Connection needs work, but hey. It's something and I'm happy. I'm doing the real word testing throughout the week.
    Wow! I wonder what leftover parts that Verizon version left on the system that screwed things up? It sucks to have to revert to Dr'ing, but sometimes there is just no other option- it could take months or YEARS to trace and find such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaincho3 View Post
    when i try to install the free tethered service i get an error, everything else works but i dont have an ip address in the free tether app..
    please help
    Answered many times. Uninstall it, then install the "Package Manager Service" THEN install freetetherd:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2201694
    Just tried your suggestion. Wish I could report that it worked but sadly I am still receiving no mac love from MHS.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyone else having the same issue with a mac and have a solution that worked to get up and running?
    I have a Mac and had NO issues connecting to my Pre. I pull about 1.0M/sec download and about .6M/sec upload.

I did about an hours worth of simple browsing and the connection was stable. worked on my Powerbook G4 and my wife's Mac Mini C2D.

I wish I can help...

Thanks for the tip.

I have a macbook pro and it connects with no problems.you have to make sure on your phone the bluetooth is off. And you see the EV logo in the top of your phone. And your forward up is on
    As far as I can tell works perfectly, used it today when my schools wifi went down, thank you very much!
    This is awesome! This tethering setup plus a Touchstone is the ultimate hotspot.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Just wanted to post my THANKS!!!!

This app works like a charm, and was super easy to install!!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Thanks to everyone. Coming from a WM phone it was nice being able to tether if needed. THis has made it very simple to so far. I am running right at 1mb download and
    .30mb upload. Not that I will use it very often but it is nice to have if needed.
    I am trying mhs for the first time with Easy Peasy (Ubuntu) which I've never used before. Can you tell me what the settings should be? It connects but can't get on the web. When this happened with Windows I just repaired it but I have no idea how to do this with my eeePC. Can someone post all settings?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I am trying mhs for the first time with Ubuntu Linux which I've never used before. Can you tell me what the settings should be? It connects but can't get on the web. When this happened with Windows I just repaired it but I have no idea how to do this with my eeePC. Can someone post all settings?
    I doubt it has anything to do with your Linux laptop. Just try the connection again. There are no "settings" to consider... unless you are using encryption. Without encryption, it just connects, performs a DHCP to get an address, and sets up a route. There is absolutely no difference between doing that with the Pre and doing that with a Linksys router.

There are times that MHS just doesn't seem to want to work, turn it off then back on and try again (last time I had to try 3 times, other times it works first time).
    Did someone have 1 month with the hotspot? Did you pay the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion747 View Post
    Did someone have 1 month with the hotspot? Did you pay the same?
    I will translate your vague question to be "Has anyone using MHS or other tethering on Sprint ended up getting additional charges on their bill?"

I have not heard of any. But it is certainly possible. Tethering breaks the terms of service. Sprint is not likely to take action against people using it casually and not using lots of bandwidth. I suspect one who did would be warned. I suspect after that, they might find their service contract terminated.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Hi guys. I just spent the day really pushing the limits of the MHS and seeing how devices connected to it work on various different ways.

Today, took my younger sister to the market and had her bring her iPod Touch. For some reason, the iPod Touch didn't like the connection too much unless I was in great coverage area. But she was using AIM and the web just fine. Very very cool.

The 2nd part of the day, I had my gf use her laptop in the car as I drove across a couple of counties. She was playing Farmville on Facebook and playing Youtube just fine. In fact, the speeds were great. She didn't even notice it was from a cell signal.

Now, I'm in an Embassy Suites and since they make you pay for the WiFi, I decided to use my MHS. I'm typing from it now. No changes in speed. Did a speed test and got a max about 1.2mbps download and about 0.4mbps upload.

Morever, I just used the laptop to remote connect to my home computer and it worked very well. Not the best speed, but consistent enough for me to use my home PC just fine.

I know the MHS uses battery like crazy, so I have it rocking on the TouchStone. It still shows me how many devices are connected in case I need to know without picking up the phone and seeing the app.

Does anybody have any other tests I could do? Nothing crazy like p2p. So overall, this MHS is sweet, amazing, and so convenient.