Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    You will need the freeTetherD as well, as that's what makes freeTether able to work.

The USB passthrough patch is only needed to enable USBnet, which can also be done using terminal, or WebOSQuickInstall.
    Interesting. So freetether/freetetherd will work with an enabled usbnet even if the IP number shown in freetether is "(null)"?

No, that doesn't seem to work, either, although this time the IP # attached to interface usb0 does in fact show up in the freetether USB INFORMATION screen. Specifically, I appear to be able to obtain DNS lookups via the Pixi, but no TCP/IP traffic seems to get forwarded.
    Last edited by KerwoodDerby; 02/05/2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Results of tests with Pixi
    I've never had the "null" IP when properly connected.

Keep in mind, that to USB tether, there is a fair amount of work that must be done on the computer you're connecting with as well. If that's not done, then it won't tether.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by KerwoodDerby View Post
    Interesting. So freetether/freetetherd will work with an enabled usbnet even if the IP number shown in freetether is "(null)"?

So I would only need freetetherd, freetether, and USB pass through patch

And in my understanding the USB patch enables USBnet. USBnet can also be enabled via quick install or through terminal if I don't want install USB pass through patch.

No mobile hotspot, no auto ip forwarding patch, right?

That sound about right?
    I've never had the "null" IP when properly connected.

Keep in mind, that to USB tether, there is a fair amount of work that must be done on the computer you're connecting with as well. If that's not done, then it won't tether.
    I do know that there is some work to be done on the computer and I can handle that, done it before with previous phones.

Just having the issues on the pixi end.

After work I'm going to attempt getting this setup again. I think alot of the issues could be due to the fact I was trying the MHS and Auto IP Patch on a pixi with no wifi, lol.

Hopefully the freetetherd, freetether, and the enable USB patch are exactly what I need. I will post my outcome tonight if someone could just confirm the above 3 are all I need.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 02/05/2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Yes, those 3 items are what you'll need on the phone itself.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    mjkjr, I just tried that on the Pixi with both a WinXP laptop and an Ubuntu desktop, with no joy. The Pixi either won't pass the traffic out, or it won't route it back to the computer. I guess there aren't enough Pixis in the hands of developers for them to be able to shake these things down.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker05088 View Post
    Guys I have done everything i can think of to fix this problem im having. When my laptop connects to my phone I CANNOT connect to the web!!! It will CONSTANTLY say Access: Local Only!! Iv done EVERYTHING i can think off from turning off wifi on both phone and laptop and even used WebOS Doctor and reinstalled everything!!! and STILL cant get the web on laptop!!! Can ANYBODY PLEASE HELP?!?!?
    Do you have the User Account Control turned on or off? I have seen that interfere with some people's ability to connect to any wireless router. Also what type of firewall are you using (if any)? You can try disabling the firewall and see if that helps - I have seen a lot of firewalls that cause issues when connecting to networks.
    mjkjr, I just tried that on the Pixi with both a WinXP laptop and an Ubuntu desktop, with no joy. The Pixi either won't pass the traffic out, or it won't route it back to the computer. I guess there aren't enough Pixis in the hands of developers for them to be able to shake these things down.

Well, after work I'm going to give it a run on my Vista laptop. I'm actually pretty good with networking, I honestly think I should be able to get it set up now without issue. I wish I wasn't stuck here behind my work computer. I'll let you know my results.

Also, are you using the 'Enable USB Passthrough' patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Also, are you using the 'Enable USB Passthrough' patch?
    As a matter of fact, no. I'm still unsure that's necessary as long as usbnet is enabled.

N.B. Believe it or not, I was able to initiate tethering for my WinXP laptop for a short time using freetether via bluetooth, of all things. I even got the red triangle telling me Sprint wouldn't let me tether, which I ignored. Sadly, the sessions would only last a minute or two before my Pixi either wedged or spontaneously rebooted. There's definitely a great deal going on behind the scenes here.
    As a matter of fact, no. I'm still unsure that's necessary as long as usbnet is enabled.

N.B. Believe it or not, I was able to initiate tethering for my WinXP laptop for a short time using freetether via bluetooth, of all things. I even got the red triangle telling me Sprint wouldn't let me tether, which I ignored. Sadly, the sessions would only last a minute or two before my Pixi either wedged or spontaneously rebooted. There's definitely a great deal going on behind the scenes here.
    Well that atleast gives us some hope, right?

So I take it you enabled USBnet another way than using the USBpassthrough patch? Did you use terminal or is there a tweak in quick install.

I don't have bluetooth on my laptop so I'm going to work strictly on getting it to work through the cable. We WILL get this going on our phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    So I take it you enabled USBnet another way than using the USBpassthrough patch? Did you use terminal or is there a tweak in quick install.
    I used the terminal app. I simply typed "usbnet enable" and then verified that the interface was created by typing "ifconfig". Of course, WebOSQuickInstall will give you a command line to let you do the same thing there. Now, mind you, I'd already modified /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf per this so that a connection to the usb0 interface would issue a DHCP IP number. And I verified that when both the WinXP laptop and Ubuntu desktop were connected to the Pixi, they indeed had been issued an IP number.

Incidentally, the USB device ID for the Pixi is 0x0103, as opposed to 0x0101 for the Pre, further complicating things. If you want to install the (32-bit) driver for the Pixi's RNDIS interface, you'll need to first modify the .INF file at here by editing it to replace all the "PID_0101" strings with "PID_0103", and only then installing it.

So clearly there's a crucial difference between the Pre and Pixi in this regard that I can't perceive, and few others have the time to divine.
    Last edited by KerwoodDerby; 02/05/2010 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch59 View Post
    Just to put it out there again for anyone who hasn't figured it out from the threads... the Freetether app is not needed to use the WIFI on the Pre: just the background freethetherd "service" (or whatever it is). This service, combined with mobile hotspot and Jason's path will allow you to connect to your device.
    Most people don't need the additional complexity of the patch- they don't understand it is not a WebOS patch. Plus, the freetether app gives instant feedback that the freetetherd service is working (since it will display an IP address) so it is EXTREMELY useful for troubleshooting. I do recommend installing it, even if you do patch MHS.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    I've never had the "null" IP when properly connected
    The only time you will have NULL in freetether is when freetetherd is either not installed properly or not running for some strange reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    The only time you will have NULL in freetether is when freetetherd is either not installed properly or not running for some strange reason.
    Then imagine my surprise to see my Pixi + freetether allowing tethering over bluetooth, while freetether claimed to have an IP# of "(null)" the entire time. Plainly, there is more going on where we can't see.
    The thing thats annoying is that everytime a device gets connected to the pre the EVDO Icon goes away for a few seconds and comes back on therfore making my PSP unsuccessful for internet. Also i tried connecting my Xbox 360 to the palm pre and yes im using the wireless adapter for it but when i connect and add the WPA and try to connect to live it says theres no connection to the wireless. It only works when I turn off the WPA and have it open security. Just pointing these out
    Quick update, I decided to use the usb passthrough patch, when i enabled it windows connects, see's it as an RNDIS Ethernet Gadget and wants to install drivers. Also through USB my I can now see my IP in freetether. We'll see how it goes.
    I install the ipk for FreeTethrd, and it goes in fine. I look in Device Management in Quick Install, and I see it. I don't see the app on my Pre though.

Using us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk to do the install. Does this only install a service or should I be installing something else to see the app? Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    I install the ipk for FreeTethrd, and it goes in fine. I look in Device Management in Quick Install, and I see it. I don't see the app on my Pre though.

Using us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk to do the install. Does this only install a service or should I be installing something else to see the app? Any help is appreciated.
    You need the freetetherd, and freetether. After you install freetether you will have an icon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    The thing thats annoying is that everytime a device gets connected to the pre the EVDO Icon goes away for a few seconds and comes back on
    That happened to me a few times today using ONLY THE PRE, itself, to web browse. And I had a 5 bar signal, sitting in a restaurant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    freetetherd is a service, not a visible application