Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
    And I don't know if this makes a difference, but I did the 3 .ipks method, "freetetherd" then "freetether" and finally MHS.

I see some people just install the freetetherd, MHS, and then Jason's patch, which leaves out the freeteather.
    Quote Originally Posted by push2shock View Post
    I have this issue every time. This works for me:

On a Vista Computer

1. Open "Network and Sharing Center"

2. On the left click "manage network connections"

3. Right Click on the hot spot connection (whatever it is named)

4. Select "diagnose"

5. After it works a second, select "Reset Network adapter, wireless network connection"

After it does this, wait 20-50 seconds, try to pull a website, usually comes right on. May have to do it twice, but it always works for me. Hope that helps.
    I have done all of that and at the end of the repair it still says local only and i would wait a lil while like you said and still nothin everytime. If anyone else has any way to fix the Local Access only connection on vista when using Mobile hotspot please help. and thank you anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I read every post, I wouldn't have put that I was having the issue, if I didn't already try reinstalling. When I first installed it was just blank by IP, I first tried a restart when things weren't working, then that didn't work. So I uninstalled and reinstalled then instead of it being blank by IP the "(null)" showed. So do you have any other suggestions besides what I've already tried? Thanks.

Uninstall and install again?
    Yes. Freetetherd is not installed properly.

You may have read every post, but must have missed something. See the two URL's I posted in the last message to you, which are the key.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Yes. Freetetherd is not installed properly.

You may have read every post, but must have missed something. See the two URL's I posted in the last message to you, which are the key.
    I checked that out. Reinstalled again no luck. Now I've noticed links on here going to different freetetherd's, ie us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk and us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv6.ipk, maybe this is some of the problem
    I read the beginning. Followed the steps. Everything went smoothly. After installing, restarted both my laptop and my pre. Auto-enabled patch works too so I dont have to open that. This program x10 > mytether and easier. Thanks and I love this phone!!!!
    Does anyone havethe New MobileHotpot App? The current version is 1.0.6 and the one we use is 1.0.3

Can someone somehow get the ipk of the 1.0.6 version? and has anyone gotten it to work fo the sprint pre?
    I asked this at one point and never really got a clear answer. I have four files downloaded. Apparently I do not have to install freetether ipk, just the freetetherd ipk, correct? So the MHS ipk, the freetetherd ipk and Jason's patch. I have not used WOSQI for some time, as I restricted my patch use to Preware. Which of these, if any, are available on Preware and how do I install Jason's patch using WOSQI (which I just updated)? I realize I could post this question on the QI thread, but please bear with me. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    Does anyone havethe New MobileHotpot App? The current version is 1.0.6 and the one we use is 1.0.3

Can someone somehow get the ipk of the 1.0.6 version? and has anyone gotten it to work fo the sprint pre?
    You probably haven't read any of the posts (granted there are a lot). You have to search the thread for people posting it to rapidshare. No, you can't use the 1.0.6 version.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Works great! Up in 5 minutes....

To all these great peeps in here: Don't forget about the 5GB cap!
    If you willy-nilly start using tethering and go over 5GB in your billing cycle, don't be surprised if your Data gets cut off and you have to call Sprint to get it back on....
    Trying to get freetether going on my Pixi.

I have read the entire thread, followed all the directions (knowing, of course, that there's no reason for me to install MHS on the Pixi), and I'm still getting a (null) in the IP address field. I uninstalled, created the webos-internals-testing.conf file in /media/cryptofs/apps/etc/ipkg, re-installed with Preware, with no joy.

I noticed that among all the heat and light in this thread, there didn't seem to be any mention of the Pixi. Is there as reason for this, like "freetether's not meant for the Pixi" or some such? It sure would be nice to know, if so.

N.B. I had to visit another thread in order to discover that I needed armv6 packages for the Pixi, rather than armv7 (for Pre). Before I figured that out, I got the "package not found" error upon installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by KerwoodDerby View Post
    Trying to get freetether going on my Pixi.

I have read the entire thread, followed all the directions (knowing, of course, that there's no reason for me to install MHS on the Pixi), and I'm still getting a (null) in the IP address field. I uninstalled, created the webos-internals-testing.conf file in /media/cryptofs/apps/etc/ipkg, re-installed with Preware, with no joy.

I noticed that among all the heat and light in this thread, there didn't seem to be any mention of the Pixi. Is there as reason for this, like "freetether's not meant for the Pixi" or some such? It sure would be nice to know, if so.

N.B. I had to visit another thread in order to discover that I needed armv6 packages for the Pixi, rather than armv7 (for Pre). Before I figured that out, I got the "package not found" error upon installation.
    I have a pixi and I'm having the same issues as well, you'll see further up on this page and the prior page some suggestions to fix the problems, none of them worked. I got the same errors with the armv7 that you described, I then realized I needed the armv6. So I then uninstalled everything, started fresh but I still get the "(null)" errors even thought the armv6 seemed to install smoothly.

I tried 2 different processes to get this to work and had no luck, I first did the 3 .ipk file installation- mytetherd, mytether, and MHS...

I then tried the mytetherd, MHS, and the Auto IP Forwarding patch and that didn't work either.

Is your "On" and "Off" toggle in MHS grayed out?
    Last edited by mjkjr; 02/05/2010 at 09:11 AM.
    Is your "On" and "Off" toggle in MHS grayed out?
    Indeed, although I expected that, since the Pixi has no wifi interface.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Just to put it out there again for anyone who hasn't figured it out from the threads... the Freetether app is not needed to use the WIFI on the Pre: just the background freethetherd "service" (or whatever it is). This service, combined with mobile hotspot and Jason's path will allow you to connect to your device.

In my experience, the order in which they are installed is very important. I have not taken the time to read through the code in the .patch file, but I am guessing it has stuff in there that allows the two other components (freetetherd and MHS) to work with each other.

That being said, if you at any time remove one of those two components, it is probably a good idea to remove everything and reinstall in the order described before. You obviously need the MHS and freetetherd installed before you run the patch install, otherwise you will have problems.

Please stick to the order of Freetetherd --> MHS --> Patch

Also, 1.0.3 is the only version of MHS that will work for sprint....THE ONLY VERSION....NO UPDATES ALLOWED
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch59 View Post
    Just to put it out there again for anyone who hasn't figured it out from the threads... the Freetether app is not needed to use the WIFI on the Pre: just the background freethetherd "service" (or whatever it is). This service, combined with mobile hotspot and Jason's path will allow you to connect to your device.

In my experience, the order in which they are installed is very important. I have not taken the time to read through the code in the .patch file, but I am guessing it has stuff in there that allows the two other components (freetetherd and MHS) to work with each other.

That being said, if you at any time remove one of those two components, it is probably a good idea to remove everything and reinstall in the order described before. You obviously need the MHS and freetetherd installed before you run the patch install, otherwise you will have problems.

Please stick to the order of Freetetherd --> MHS --> Patch

Also, 1.0.3 is the only version of MHS that will work for sprint....THE ONLY VERSION....NO UPDATES ALLOWED

I'm doing this on a Pixi, has anyone had success with a pixi?

I initially tried the first way that uses freetether, no luck. So I've been trying freetetherd, MHS, then patch. I'm also 99% sure I'm using MHS 1.0.3, But my "On" and "Off" toggle is still grayed out in MHS.
    Pixi doesn't have WiFi... unless you're doing this on a Pixi Plus, it's NEVER going to work.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by KerwoodDerby View Post
    Indeed, although I expected that, since the Pixi has no wifi interface.
    But regardless, the whole idea is to make a wifi hot spot that uses the 3G so it should still work on the Pixi in theory. We would still need that switch in order to turn on the hot spot. But there's no wifi antenna?

What about tethering the pixi through USB cable rather than wireless since the pixi has no wifi antenna?
    The Pixi doesn't have a WiFi card, it cannot broadcast as a hotspot because it doesn't have the hardware necessary to do so.
    But regardless, the whole idea is to make a wifi hot spot that uses the 3G so it should still work on the Pixi in theory. We would still need that switch in order to turn on the hot spot. But there's no wifi antenna?

What about tethering the pixi through USB cable rather than wireless since the pixi has no wifi antenna?
    Since your Pixi doesn't actually have the HARDWARE for Wifi, MHS will not function at all for you. The only way you're going to be able to utilize your 3G network is to connect to a computer via USB. You only need FreeTether and the USB-go-through patch to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarkuma View Post
    Since your Pixi doesn't actually have the HARDWARE for Wifi, MHS will not function at all for you. The only way you're going to be able to utilize your 3G network is to connect to a computer via USB. You only need FreeTether and the USB-go-through patch to do this.
    So I would want JUST the regular FreeTether and the UBS pass through patch?

No freetetherd right?

Thank you.
    You will need the freeTetherD as well, as that's what makes freeTether able to work.

The USB passthrough patch is only needed to enable USBnet, which can also be done using terminal, or WebOSQuickInstall.