Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thanks to Renck's help, I was able to get everything running all symbiosis-like.

I installed a bunch of stuff the first time, got connected and had the same "Wireless was connected but relatively bogus IP stuff being pulled by my laptop's DHCP. Internet wouldn't connect."

To install/fix this I did the following (Windows XP 32 bit) Bear with me, i go into deeeetail:

Downloaded the new version of WebOSQI here: http://images.precentral.net/sites/p...ickInstall.jar

If you don't have a version of WebOSDoctor on your machine, you will need to download that before WebOSQI will run properly. The WebOSDoctor and WebOSQI jar files need to be in the same directory for QI to see the doctor and not prompt for another download.
    NOTE: If the download doesn't do it automatically, rename the WebOSDoctor file WebOSDoctor.jar

Now that WebOSQI is downloaded, connect your DevMode enabled device to your machine and select "Just Charge" on the device screen.

Launch the WebOSQI.jar file using Java 6 Runtime (Windows devices should default to this as long as you have the proper version of Java installed.)

Depending on the QI's ability to connect to your device, you may need to install/reinstall the novacom driver (Withing QI: File --> Options --> Attempt Novacom (re)installation) This will most likely require you to reboot your computer and reset your device (just on the safe side)

**Follow these steps if you don't have preware installed**
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After everything is back up and "Just Charge" has been selected, launch WebOSQI and select the blue down arrow on the right side.

From the dropdown menu near the top, choose WebOS-Internals Feed (all) and select the Package Manager Service and Preware. Download and install them using QI. This will provide you with more control over what is on your device.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the device, launch Preware and enter the "Installed Packages" area. In the Applications area, make sure Mobile Hotspot is not installed (If it is, make sure you have the IPK to reinstall and remove it)

Then check "Patches" and remove the Auto-enable IP forwarding In Mobile Hotspot patch.

Finally, remove the "freeTetherD - Network Routing and Address Translation Service" service.

You now have a "clean" slate to work with (and I suggest resetting your device)

After it comes back up, download these three files:

us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk - This will not be posted on this forum for legal reasons
    auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch

Once you have all the files on your computer, install them one at a time in the order listed above. Drag one file into WebOSQI and install it, once it is removed from the "Install" list, move the next one in.

Once you have all three installed, you will only have one app which is new in your Launcher: the MobileHotSpot. This will allow you to use the WIFI tethering as stated elsewhere in this thread.

NOTE: These steps apply only to WIFI as this is all I will ever use (USB and Bluetooth are something I am not interested in esp. with the touchstone charger)

NOTENOTE: These steps should work if you follow them step by step. Regardless of whether you have failed at installing this stuff before
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I personally cant wait to try this out.

Will report back if i get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch59 View Post
    Thanks to Renck's help, I was able to get everything running all symbiosis-like.

I installed a bunch of stuff the first time, got connected and had the same "Wireless was connected but relatively bogus IP stuff being pulled by my laptop's DHCP. Internet wouldn't connect."

To install/fix this I did the following (Windows XP 32 bit) Bear with me, i go into deeeetail:

Downloaded the new version of WebOSQI here: http://images.precentral.net/sites/p...ickInstall.jar

If you don't have a version of WebOSDoctor on your machine, you will need to download that before WebOSQI will run properly. The WebOSDoctor and WebOSQI jar files need to be in the same directory for QI to see the doctor and not prompt for another download.
    NOTE: If the download doesn't do it automatically, rename the WebOSDoctor file WebOSDoctor.jar

Now that WebOSQI is downloaded, connect your DevMode enabled device to your machine and select "Just Charge" on the device screen.

Launch the WebOSQI.jar file using Java 6 Runtime (Windows devices should default to this as long as you have the proper version of Java installed.)

Depending on the QI's ability to connect to your device, you may need to install/reinstall the novacom driver (Withing QI: File --> Options --> Attempt Novacom (re)installation) This will most likely require you to reboot your computer and reset your device (just on the safe side)

**Follow these steps if you don't have preware installed**
    After everything is back up and "Just Charge" has been selected, launch WebOSQI and select the blue down arrow on the right side.

From the dropdown menu near the top, choose WebOS-Internals Feed (all) and select the Package Manager Service and Preware. Download and install them using QI. This will provide you with more control over what is on your device.

From the device, launch Preware and enter the "Installed Packages" area. In the Applications area, make sure Mobile Hotspot is not installed (If it is, make sure you have the IPK to reinstall and remove it)

Then check "Patches" and remove the Auto-enable IP forwarding In Mobile Hotspot patch.

Finally, remove the "freeTetherD - Network Routing and Address Translation Service" service.

You now have a "clean" slate to work with (and I suggest resetting your device)

After it comes back up, download these three files:

us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk - This will not be posted on this forum for legal reasons
    auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch

Once you have all the files on your computer, install them one at a time in the order listed above. Drag one file into WebOSQI and install it, once it is removed from the "Install" list, move the next one in.

Once you have all three installed, you will only have one app which is new in your Launcher: the MobileHotSpot. This will allow you to use the WIFI tethering as stated elsewhere in this thread.

NOTE: These steps apply only to WIFI as this is all I will ever use (USB and Bluetooth are something I am not interested in esp. with the touchstone charger)

NOTENOTE: These steps should work if you follow them step by step. Regardless of whether you have failed at installing this stuff before
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    If you have issues, I will be happy to help if I can
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I would also like to thank all the people who replied to my request for the IPK last night.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah buddy!!!!!!!!

Im all fired up. Took me 10 mins.

This is it kids. Scratch you are the MAN dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gave the mobile hotspot instructions for dummies. Works like a charm, I love it.

It just be on "Just Charge" not "USB Drive", very key point.....

I know nothing of linix or webos 3 days ago and now im all set up. I love forums and the people like you (scratch) and the OP who take the time out to write up stuff and help out the rest of us.

Very much appreciate your time and effort to write this up.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch59 View Post
    If you have issues, I will be happy to help if I can
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    what was the installation like for mytether.

what did you have to do?
    I don't want to go into specifics about it in this thread because it would just cause confusion. For that, either go to the My Tether thread here on PC or http://forum.mytether.net/index.php

It is easy to install though.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    thanks. i got this one to work so im good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    I don't want to go into specifics about it in this thread because it would just cause confusion. For that, either go to the My Tether thread here on PC or My Tether

It is easy to install though.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    ok then...the install was a success, all three ipk's. The hot spot app opens, connects to my laptop(vista home) I see it in connected devices with the wifi icon. Now the problem...I can't get a connection to the web...any ideas? Thanx
    First off, I want to thank the people who thought of this, and those who made it happen...

Only one issue: I HATE how places like colleges and workplaces block websites such as rapidshare and all. Took me freakin 4 days to find a place, which turned out to be a friend's pre (go figure, the irony) that i could use to download the files i needed.

Other than that, it only took about 5 minutes once i had the connection.

In the wise words of a very close friend of mine, "Bah!"

Now..... How much should i charge my classmates to use my new wifi spot? *diabolical snickers*
    I followed all steps, everything installed, but on MHS the option to turn it on or off is grayed out and in off. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I followed all steps, everything installed, but on MHS the option to turn it on or off is grayed out and in off. Any ideas?
    And I'm not sure if this is the same issue or a seperate one, but I have nothing showing by IP in freetether. Restarted my phone and now i get " (null) " in place of an IP address.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 02/04/2010 at 07:07 PM.
    I too seek the holy grail(mobilespot.ipk) can someone help? PM or the like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gee View Post
    I too seek the holy grail(mobilespot.ipk) can someone help? PM or the like?
    If you read you will know where to get that, there are multiple places to download it from (but not on this site).
    Guys I have done everything i can think of to fix this problem im having. When my laptop connects to my phone I CANNOT connect to the web!!! It will CONSTANTLY say Access: Local Only!! Iv done EVERYTHING i can think off from turning off wifi on both phone and laptop and even used WebOS Doctor and reinstalled everything!!! and STILL cant get the web on laptop!!! Can ANYBODY PLEASE HELP?!?!?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker05088 View Post
    Guys I have done everything i can think of to fix this problem im having. When my laptop connects to my phone I CANNOT connect to the web!!! It will CONSTANTLY say Access: Local Only!! Iv done EVERYTHING i can think off from turning off wifi on both phone and laptop and even used WebOS Doctor and reinstalled everything!!! and STILL cant get the web on laptop!!! Can ANYBODY PLEASE HELP?!?!?
    i posted above... #405 same thing...PM me if you get a fix plz
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker05088 View Post
    I found this on the first page of the thread. Step 4 sounds like the issue you describe.

"PHASE 3 RUN THE NEW APPS

1.- Run FreeTether and enable BOTH options (swipe both sliders to the right) Be sure a IP address is listed in the first option if not, something is wrong try a restart, if that doesn't work reinstall FreeTether

2.- Run Mobile hotspot, rename your network if you like by changing the default.

3. When you have finished tweaking your settings enable it and connect with your laptop! You will hear a chime, if your sound is enabled, as well as get a visual notification confirming that your device is connected.

4. If you are using windows and have problems, with it telling you it is "local only" Disable your wireless router and re-enable it."
    If he was referring to the mobile hotspot app then i have MULTIPLE times and have turned off my wifi on laptop and restarted laptop and pre and still the same thing. I just cant figure this out. i have almost given up time and time again till i read of other people getting it to work! Im on windows vista and I am just not sure of what else to do. If there is ANYONE reading my post and have an idea you believe is a possibility to work then DONT just read over my but PLEASE respond to me.
    I have this issue every time. This works for me:

On a Vista Computer

1. Open "Network and Sharing Center"

2. On the left click "manage network connections"

3. Right Click on the hot spot connection (whatever it is named)

4. Select "diagnose"

5. After it works a second, select "Reset Network adapter, wireless network connection"

After it does this, wait 20-50 seconds, try to pull a website, usually comes right on. May have to do it twice, but it always works for me. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    And I'm not sure if this is the same issue or a seperate one, but I have nothing showing by IP in freetether. Restarted my phone and now i get " (null) " in place of an IP address.
    Another one answered over and over...

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2188643

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2201694
    Last edited by crxssi; 02/04/2010 at 09:44 PM.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Another one answered over and over...
    Reinstall freetetherd it was not installed properly.
    I read every post, I wouldn't have put that I was having the issue, if I didn't already try reinstalling. When I first installed it was just blank by IP, I first tried a restart when things weren't working, then that didn't work. So I uninstalled and reinstalled then instead of it being blank by IP the "(null)" showed. So do you have any other suggestions besides what I've already tried? Thanks.

Uninstall and install again?