Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
    As far as I can tell PreCentral had to remove anything that had to do with Mobile Hotspot, which I don't get why. This is a homebrew community and hacking is part of it. Palm or Sprint is starting to act like Apple.
    Yep, original thread went "poof". I tested MHS at 9am and it is still working, though.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    This broke WIFI on my device, even after removing.... I cant connect to my home wifi network AT ALL. It finds it, AND a signal- but it just simply says " IP CONFIGURATION FAILED " damn.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    As far as I can tell PreCentral had to remove anything that had to do with Mobile Hotspot, which I don't get why. This is a homebrew community and hacking is part of it. Palm or Sprint is starting to act like Apple.
    Before the tin foil hats and black helicopter conspiracy theories take over, let me throw out the possibility that the original thread was yanked only because it included an attachment of Palm's copyrighted com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.zip file that was uploaded by the OP and stored on PreCentral's servers. If you look closely, a few replacement threads for the missing one have been created, and they all contain links to the aforementioned com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk file being hosted at other web sites.

If you want my $0.02, PreCentral is being VERY open about this whole MHS tethering topic, but are protecting themselves legally by not distributing the pilfered Palm MHS package from their own servers like the original thread was doing.....
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Anyone else getting this error when installing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Maybe redistributing Palm's software is illegal... That might have something to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    let me throw out the possibility that the original thread was yanked only because it included an attachment of Palm's copyrighted com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.zip file that was uploaded by the OP and stored on PreCentral's servers. If you look closely, a few replacement threads for the missing one have been created, and they all contain links to the aforementioned com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk file being hosted at other web sites.
    If that is the reason, then I am forced to agree with it 100%. It might also explain why the news story itself has not been removed. But it doesn't explain why they didn't just zap the one offending post instead of the whole thread....

And, as I pointed out in the original thread that is now gone, there is nothing to prevent Palm from adding code to the OS tethering service that hotspot uses, to "phone home", giving them instant feedback that someone is tethering.... no more guessing, no more packet analysis. (yes, I am duplicate posting in more than one thread, just incase another "poof")
    Last edited by crxssi; 01/24/2010 at 09:04 AM.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew6132 View Post
    Give it a minute to sit. Otherwise try to repair the connection via the wireless router. I got the null IP address earlier but after a minute of me repairing, then waiting, i was able to connect to the WebOs network and the internet.
    Thanks, works great now. Wound up using it last night and didn't realize it until about 10 minutes into it. This will save me alot of money, now I don't need to get a wifi card.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossm812 View Post
    This broke WIFI on my device, even after removing.... I cant connect to my home wifi network AT ALL. It finds it, AND a signal- but it just simply says " IP CONFIGURATION FAILED " damn.
    This happened to me.... Just open up wifi preferences and "forget" the network you are trying to connect to. Then connect to it again. Worked for me.
    Just a heads up, I updated the Mobile Hotspot patch for more reliable performances. Those using the patch will want to update.

In regards to posting the ipk files, that's Palm's property licensed for Verizon devices. Redistribution, especially here @ PreCentral is considered illegal. Palm has been incredibly support of the homebrew community @ PreCentral, let's try to no make them regret it. There are places where illegal software can be found, PreCentral is not one of them.

So who wants to place beta how long this thread will be up before bein deleted, lol
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    If that is the reason, then I am forced to agree with it 100%. It might also explain why the news story itself has not been removed. But it doesn't explain why they didn't just zap the one offending post instead of the whole thread....
    Jason's front page story carefully skirted around providing a link to Palm's package, but did provide instructions and links to the Preware stuff needed to get it working. Jason has also re-posted a lot of the info from the original thread, which included everything of consequence but the PreCentral-served link to Palm's file (and spared us about 16 pages of whining that it didn't work for a few people who didn't follow the directions exactly as written). If PreCentral was told to bury the topic, the front-page article (and it's comments) would surely be gone by now, and the forum software would be posting "******" in place of "mobilehotspot" due to the swear words filter.

The first post in the missing thread contained the Palm attachment, and I'm guessing that whoever was minding the abuse triangle fort last night only had the ability to whack the entire thread to stop the pilfered attachment from being distributed further. Let's say that I'm not surprised that the original thread vanished due to containing that attachment, and I personally grabbed Zotero snapshots of the first two pages figuring that they would be gone before long. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread vanished as well, only because it's subject targets Sprint ("How To: Install Mobile Hot Spot on Sprint PRE") instead of saying "(How To: Install Pre Plus Mobile Hot Spot on Original Pre") which would include the non-Sprint versions.

From a legal perspective, the only problem with the original thread was that it was hosting copyrighted software, and the only thing that Palm could do was send a DMCA take-down request for the offending file.....
    For those getting the message the Sprint doesn't allow tethering and to call them, I too had the same problem. freeTether wasn't showing an ip address for me.

I spent all day working on it. What I did was make sure I had the latest version of WebOSQuickInstall (2.96) then reinstall each of the ipk's seperately with the phone in Dev mode with QI. Start with freeteheerd, then freetether, and finially MHS. Turn off Dev mode and reset the phone.

When it comes back on, open freetether and make sure there is an IP address then enable both NAT and IP forwarding. Keep the app open then launch MHS and configure your setting and turn it on. Once on, you can close the 2 apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
    This happened to me.... Just open up wifi preferences and "forget" the network you are trying to connect to. Then connect to it again. Worked for me.
    Yeah I tried this as well.... For some reason mytether kept its ad-hoc network up and running even after it was uninstalled and still cant remove it. Looking at running the doctor.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    So who wants to place beta how long this thread will be up before bein deleted, lol
    Sprint's lawyers will be arriving in their Kansas City area offices around 9:00AM CST Monday. Give them an hour to read their e-mail, and draft a scary cease and desist message to PreCentral (or a threat to pull their banner ads). Put me down for somewhere between noon and 1:00 PM EST on Monday...unless the thread's subject is somehow magically changed before then so that it doesn't target Sprint devices specifically.....
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Yeah I tried this as well.... For some reason mytether kept its ad-hoc network up and running even after it was uninstalled and still cant remove it. Looking at running the doctor.
    I also seem to have the MyTether ad-hoc network still up and running even though I don't have MyTether installed anymore. Doesn't prevent me from using MHS nor from connecting to WiFi at home though. Does seem strange that my laptop keeps seeing MyTether network even though I don't have the app installed. If you try to connect to that network though, nothing happens. Seems like it is visible but not useable.

I would appreciate if someone knows how to shut this down without having to doctor the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just a heads up, I updated the Mobile Hotspot patch for more reliable performances. Those using the patch will want to update.

In regards to posting the ipk files, that's Palm's property licensed for Verizon devices. Redistribution, especially here @ PreCentral is considered illegal. Palm has been incredibly support of the homebrew community @ PreCentral, let's try to no make them regret it. There are places where illegal software can be found, PreCentral is not one of them.

I installed yesterday. Installed com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all, us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all and us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7. Which file do you suggest updating? Sorry I am new to all this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Sprint's lawyers will be arriving in their Kansas City area offices around 9:00AM CST Monday. Give them an hour to read their e-mail, and draft a scary cease and desist message to PreCentral (or a threat to pull their banner ads). Put me down for somewhere between noon and 1:00 PM EST on Monday...unless the thread's subject is somehow magically changed before then so that it doesn't target Sprint devices specifically.....
    lol, people in this thread are too paranoid.

Palm is more likely to take the files down as, quite simply, it's their property and is being illegally posted here.

And don't forget PreCentral. The forums have a strict no warez/no illegal software policy and frankly.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

hey can anyone who has already downloaded the mobilehotspot ipk file please email it to me as not available for download anymore? ----edprice71@gmail.com
    Thanks all
    I had MyTether too which was a real pain in the but, making the MHS stuff work. I had the paid version of MT but for some reason it just wouldn't uninstall. I used the orange button and deleted the app on the phone then Doctored. Once I did this, everything worked like magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutflush920 View Post
    I installed yesterday. Installed com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all, us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all and us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7. Which file do you suggest updating? Sorry I am new to all this stuff.
    I suggest using:
    - com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all
    - us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7
    - auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch

As you'll no longer have to manually toggle IP Forward setting

Though, as always, using Mobilr Hotspot on non-Verzion devices is at your own risk
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 01/24/2010 at 09:58 AM.

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast