Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Verizon hotspot said it limits to 5 devices, is this still the case? On Sprint Pre?
    David...
    Sprint Palm Pre
    so I am having a problem

I have the popup issue, on the pre MHS app that says "sharing an internet connection requires an addition to your mobile service plan"

as seen here (note this guy dosn't have bluetooth on either it seems)

The solutions I have read in this thread, and the accompanying patch thread, have centered around disableing bluetooth or doctoring to remove MyTether.

I don't have bluetooth on, and I have never used/installed mytether. In fact. at this point, have Only the patch for auto-enable IP forwarding.

I have installed the freetether, and freetetherD as well as the 1.0.3 of MHS.

I have tried with and with-out the patch. done multiple uninstall-reinstall-restart combinations.

On the night this appeared in the downloads, I downloaded just MHS and tried it, I got the same message, but figured that was expected, since I didn't have the freetether and IP forwarding.

but now, when i sit down to make it all work, I just cant seem to get it. I have tried searching for the connection on my laptop, but it never actually broadcasts a signal, it simply pulls up that warning, then the on/off toggle automatically switches to off.

so I am wondering if there is any chance that by running MHS without IP forwarding enabled, I had somehow created a little flag that, even when i uninstall and reinstall, still exists somewhere in some temp file, and is preventing me from doing this.

or something completely different.

again, bluetooth is off, never used mytether, only the ip forward patch. have tried multiple install/reinstalls and every other suggestion in the thread i thought was relevant short of doctoring.

any ideas?
    There are four lights.
    Yeah, with this major "3G turns off when device connects" issue, MHS is essentially useless by just about anything.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    error while installing us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk
    an error ocurred return value 4
    cannot find the package us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_arm7.ipk
    says to run ipk update

clean install on wiped pre. it all installed (didnt work) before i updated to the latest os. i updated to the latest os and now none of the programs will install.

i just tried to install with preware but i dont see the program. in reading the thread it appears that you cant use preware anymore. is that right?

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by evperry; 02/03/2010 at 03:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Anyone who is currently online have the .ipk file? The two people who have volunteered to email the file are currently offline. All the rapidshare hosted downloads are either disabled or overloaded (I suspect disabled.)

PM me and I will send you my email.

Thanks a ton to the person who comes through with this!

P.S. I promise to everyone in this forum that I will disable Bluetooth and download/update the latest WebOSQI before proceeding with the install.

Thanks again!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    i just tried to install with preware but i dont see the program. in reading the thread it appears that you cant use preware anymore. is that right?
    No, it is not right. Posting # 309:

"Or, alternatively, add the webos-internals test feed into Preware, and install freetetherd from Preware, instead. Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals "
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Hi All -

I'd hate to make my first post a "duh," but here it goes:

I've installed everything following instructions to the letter.

When I enable MHS, the SSID broadcasts, my computer (MacBook) connects to it, and it seems like all is well.

However, when I open a browser window, it just says "connecting" and then times out (failed to open page).

It seems like it should work, but gets hung up at the last second? Little help - Demigod aka Jason? Anyone?
    Have the same problem, I think the install has been hosed by sprint
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I REALLY wanna use the quick install. I can BARELY make it through that program. I have no concept whatsoever about scripting, testing feeds etc.

If quickstall works for some, why not all, we have the same phones on the same network.

I am following this thing exactly as written in post #1.

This is driving me nuts, 3 days working on this at this point.

I ready to pay someone to make this happen.

does anyone live near queens, ny who can get this phone fired up...this is awful for us non programmers.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

"Or, alternatively, add the webos-internals test feed into Preware, and install freetetherd from Preware, instead. Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals "
    Quote Originally Posted by jfinnican View Post
    Have the same problem, I think the install has been hosed by sprint
    Having what problem? You didn't quote or reference any problem...
    If quickstall works for some, why not all, we have the same phones on the same network.
    Because not everyone is/was using the same version of QuickInstall and not everyone has/had updated their feeds first. 95% of the problems with MHS are traced to a botched freetetherd install. And 99% of those botched installs are because the person didn't use the latest version of QuickInstall and update all their feeds first.

I only mentioned using Preware (as an additional option) to install because 1) it does work, 2) it didn't have the same hangups with the feeds, 3) it is the way I did it, and 4) because I find it easier on MY platform to use. But to use Preware, you do HAVE to add the testing feed, and that is not necessarily easy for some people.

(Since I use Linux 100% of the time at home AND work, and have for many years, adding the test feed to Preware took me about 10 seconds.)

I'm considering trying this as My Tether is not working and his beta version is even worse, from posts on that website. I have a few simple questions:
    I understand that I can install Freetether by using terminal to open the testing feeds for Preware.

1. Can I download the other pieces I need for this from Preware? In other words, do I have to use WOSQI at all?
    2. Is the patch AUPT? Or will it need to be removed with the next update? I'm trying to keep my phone so that I don't need to do anything for the next update.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    yes, thats what i mean. i don use linux or know anything about linux so doing anything related to it is difficult.

ok.

i have quick install 3.01.

i have partially erased my phone EVERY time before i start trying again after failing.

in developer mode.

this app "us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk" is the problem.
    i get errors.

maybe im screwing up the feed part.

i add the feed with the name and the url. close the window.

i drop down the web os internal testing. i click the box "freetherdd network addressing" i then click the download. at that point the error pops up.

it downloads us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk, in which i have already downloaded in step one. its as if the same thing is being installed twice. am i doing something wrong here?

do i need to download all 3 things in the feed (example service, gstreamer service, free tether) or just the 1 marked free tether?

Because not everyone is/was using the same version of QuickInstall and not everyone has/had updated their feeds first. 95% of the problems with MHS are traced to a botched freetetherd install. And 99% of those botched installs are because the person didn't use the latest version of QuickInstall and update all their feeds first.

I only mentioned using Preware (as an additional option) to install because 1) it does work, 2) it didn't have the same hangups with the feeds, 3) it is the way I did it, and 4) because I find it easier on MY platform to use. But to use Preware, you do HAVE to add the testing feed, and that is not necessarily easy for some people.

(Since I use Linux 100% of the time at home AND work, and have for many years, adding the test feed to Preware took me about 10 seconds.)
    this app "us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk" is the problem. i get errors. maybe im screwing up the feed part. i add the feed with the name and the url. close the window.
    I hope someone else can help, since I don't use, haven't used WebOSQI before. I am just passing on information about what others have said (about the feeds needing to be updated somehow). I haven't seen the exact instructions anywhere yet.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    what do you mean by update the feeds?

is that this -

"1.- Click the dropdown menu and "Manage Custom Feeds"

2.- Click add, then put in a name(I chose "Webos-internals-testing-arm7"), put in this URL :
    Code:

http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...armv7/Packages

3.- Click "Close", then CLOSE the other feeds window

4.- Open the down arrow downloads screen again, now find your new testing feed in the download.

5.- download and install the freetetherd service"

or do you mean something else?

Answered over and over again.
    Update your QI and feeds, then install again.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    1. Can I download the other pieces I need for this from Preware? In other words, do I have to use WOSQI at all?
    2. Is the patch AUPT? Or will it need to be removed with the next update? I'm trying to keep my phone so that I don't need to do anything for the next update.
    1. Yes. No.
    2. Not familiar with "AUPT". The patch is optional, not needed (if you use freetether each time first), and it is not a WebOS patch and it doesn't have to be removed.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

hehe i retested and its a little better. its wifi
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    1. Yes. No.
    2. Not familiar with "AUPT". The patch is optional, not needed (if you use freetether each time first), and it is not a WebOS patch and it doesn't have to be removed.
    Standard Preware patches (and all future WOSQI patches) are installed with AUPT (autoupdate patch technology: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...echnology.html) which means they do not need to be removed when there is an OS update (and one is coming). Prior to AUPT all patches had to be removed before (or right after) an OS update, which was a total pain. In this case, since the patch is on the testing feeds and not on regular Preware, I am not sure if it needs to be removed before the OS update.

Does anyone know this for sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by nutflush920 View Post
    For those getting the message the Sprint doesn't allow tethering and to call them, I too had the same problem. freeTether wasn't showing an ip address for me.

I spent all day working on it. What I did was make sure I had the latest version of WebOSQuickInstall (2.96) then reinstall each of the ipk's seperately with the phone in Dev mode with QI. Start with freeteheerd, then freetether, and finially MHS. Turn off Dev mode and reset the phone.

When it comes back on, open freetether and make sure there is an IP address then enable both NAT and IP forwarding. Keep the app open then launch MHS and configure your setting and turn it on. Once on, you can close the 2 apps.
    I still have the message,but I still able to use it. I can see my future bill close to the skyjeje
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I'm considering trying this as My Tether is not working and his beta version is even worse, from posts on that website.
    I am using the new beta version of My Tether and it works great. I am actually using it to post this. I won't go into any further discussion about it in this thread just to avoid confusing people.

I think the vast majority of problems people are having (with both MT and MHS) are due to not following directions properly. These people that can't follow directions shouldn't be attempting to install these apps. (or even using WOSQI or Preware for that matter)

Now a question for anyone that can answer it:

If I currently have My Tether installed, can I also install FreeTether and MHS without hurting anything? Just wondering because even though MT is working great for me, I would like to try MHS.