Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    6) MHS supports WGA
    Just a small typo there -- should read WPA.

Crxssi knows this, but for other readers who may be new to this, WPA is a much stronger encryption than WEP. The free version of the MyTether app doesn't actually support any encryption. Only after you donate will you get a version with the less secure WEP encryption. a version with WPA2.
    Last edited by rlopin; 02/01/2010 at 12:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    The new version of My Tether does actually have WPA.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I haven't updated MyTether in a long time. Thanks for the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Just a small typo there -- should read WPA.

Crxssi knows this, but for other readers who may be new to this, WPA is a much stronger encryption than WEP. The free version of the MyTether app doesn't actually support any encryption. Only after you donate will you get a version with the less secure WEP encryption. a version with WPA2.
    Thanks I can't believe I made such a horrible typo. Especially since WPA is something so INCREDIBLY horrible. I edited the other post.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    The new version of My Tether does actually have WPA.
    Thanks for the update. I edited the other posting. Damn I wish both projects had a nice *WIKI* so people could go to one place and get accurate info without wading through tons of stuff. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    Has anyone gotten this to work with a PS3?...
    I was able to connect my PS3 to my phone via MHS, however the IP address in FreeTether kept going <null> for some reason so I never actually got an internet connection while trying it out.

I've noticed that FreeTether will lose the IP address occasionally but at other times it works like a champ. I'll probably try connecting it to my PS3 again but I also don't see much of a point. I don't intend to cancel my internet service at home over this. FreeTether + Mobile hotspot is more of a situational advantage on the go in my opinion.

I do think it's cool, though, to think that if the power goes out in my house I can still surf the internet on my laptop
    My Tether interfered with Media remote program as well I wonder if this one will...
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyparisi View Post
    My Tether interfered with Media remote program as well I wonder if this one will...
    That is extremely doubtful, MHS is not even remotely as intrusive as MyTether is (2.0.4 at least, I don't know about the new beta). You may not be able to run the remote at the same time as you're tethering - I'm assuming here that you use WiFi to connect the remote app - but it should absolutely not interfere with any other app from running when it's not.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    So speaking of situational uses, I had a real nerd moments last night:

My ISP was having connection issues and were looking into fixing the problem but I needed to get online and get something done in WoW (yes, I'm a dorky World of Warcraft guy). I figured "What the heck," and tethered my phone to see what kind of latency/connection I would have in the game.

The latency wasn't great, but the game was playable and I wasn't getting disconnected. A few people in the game didn't believe me when I told them. I love my Pre.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

mine is not as good.... miami sucks
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    I am getting the same error
    Quote Originally Posted by orizzle View Post

mine is not as good.... miami sucks
    Are you connecting via WIFI or thru BT? I connected thru both, and those numbers you posted were very similar to my BT results. The WIFI was MUCH faster.
    Just retested again on speedtest.net......

1.53 Mbit down
    0.37 Mbit up

w00t w00t!
    I thought everything was working beautfully, but I realized a small hitch here:
    When I turn MHS off, I lose my EVDO connection until I put the phone into airplane mode and back. Anyone else have this issue?

*EDIT* Although I was able to reproduce this before, it's not misbehaving after a full reset
    Last edited by zx3junglist; 02/02/2010 at 04:26 PM.
    anyone else get the error: error occured while attempting to install us.ryanhope.freetethred_0.0.3_armv7.ipk

I also get:

Cannot find package us.ryanhope.freetetherd
    n e help on error of:

auth error
    your service account does not allow internet connection sharing, contact sprint for help.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipalmpreo View Post
    n e help on error of:

auth error
    your service account does not allow internet connection sharing, contact sprint for help.
    Turn off BlueTooth prior to activating MHS.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by jfinnican View Post
    anyone else get the error: error occured while attempting to install us.ryanhope.freetethred_0.0.3_armv7.ipk
    I also get:
    Cannot find package us.ryanhope.freetetherd
    Answered over and over again.
    Update your QI and feeds, then install again.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Answered over and over again.
    Update your QI and feeds, then install again.
    Have the latest version of QI and put in the feed. Could I be doing something else wrong?
    fixed that error an connects to laptop to phone but gives limited service an listed 2 phone hotspot as hotspot an hotspot2.. n e suggestions?