Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    @ rlopin, is there a reason your not using wosqi v2.96
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Holy Guacamole Batman -- it finally works!
    I got MHS working [...]
    Thanks crxssi!
    I hated to "yell" in huge red letters, but I think it just kept getting lost in the noise (or people just can't/won't read hundreds of old messages. We REALLY need an open precentral wiki for stuff like this.

Anyway, I am glad it helped at least one person again
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

I initially had problems getting MHS to work.

To get it working:
    a) Ran manual backup on phone,
    b) used WebOS QI to copy PalmDatabase.db3 file to the PC (secondary backup),
    c) ran webos doctor and reloaded clean install of 1.3.5.1
    d) installed the ipk files in order: freetetherd, freetether, and mhs files, one at a time w/QI.
    e) ran freether, verified IP address present, enabled IP forwarding, then turned on MHS.

worked! in 4-5 bar location, got about 2mbps d/l and 300k u/l
    drains battery ~ 30%/hour, so you'll need to keep it on TS or usb for longer periods.

I had previous problems getting MHS to work; they seem to have resulted from:
    a) old mytether load or other patch files.
    b) tried to edit the PmNetConfigManager file in order to set the IP forwarding bit permanently... this resulted in me not being able to connect 1x/EVDO at all; when I restored the original file back, the 1x/EVDO connection started working again.
    Last edited by fhelvie; 01/30/2010 at 09:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fhelvie View Post
    d) installed the ipk files in order: freetetherd, freetether, and mhs files, one at a time w/QI.
    I don't believe the order of install matters at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post

thats great speed!!!
    I keep getting the "Auth error: Your network does not allow internet sharing." I uninstalled the free version of MyTether, also uninstalled all 3 files. I re-installed in the order that has been shown on this forum.

-I have an IP address in Freetether
    -Laptop connects to MHS

As soon as I go to a webpage on the laptop while connected, I get the Auth Error message.

I've seen other people have the same problem on this thread but people have been diverting the topic to a MyTether vs MHS debate, rather than the reason for this thread "How To: Install MHS."
    ^BT off? Read a few pages back that this causes that error.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    It works for me!!!!!
  10.    #310  
    You can find the Mobile Hot Spot IPK at this PREMIUM MEMBER RAPID SHARE Account:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

This is good for many more downloads than the free accounts, good luck
    Initially, Mobile Hotspot would not work after following installation instructions. It may have been more to do with MyTether than the application itself. Finally, I got Mobile Hotspots to work on my Pre. Here are the steps.

To get it working:
    • Load the Pre as a USB device and manually backed up
      • DCIM
      • Messaging
      • Ringtones
    • Under Device Info, Selected Reset Options; Full Erase.
    • Perform updates bringing WebOS to 1.3.5.1
    • Install Linux services and Preware (just to make sure everything was working)
      1. Diffstat
      2. GNU
      3. lsdiff
      4. Preware
    • With WebOS Quick Install loaded these ipk files in order: freetetherd, freetether, and Mobile Hotspot (one at a time).
      1. us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk
      2. us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all.ipk
      3. com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk
    • Ran freether, verified IP address present, enabled IP forwarding, then turned on Mobile Hotspot.

It worked!
    I haven't used wifi or usb mode in MHS yet, but I've used it in bluetooth mode. I first turn on bluetooth, then run MHS and turn that on. I go to my desktop and try to connect. I of course get the Auth Err message, I click OK on that and wait. All of a sudden my desktop gets a connection and I'm good to go. Sometimes I have to do this up to three times before the right sequence happens, but most always I get it on the first try.
    My point here is, try waiting for about 10 seconds to see if it works anyway like mine does.
    Okay...I have officially gotten my PS3 to connect to the internet by tethering it to my laptop while on MHS using an ethernet cable...thanks again for this WONDERFUL program...
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenlkl@yahoo.com View Post
    I haven't used wifi or usb mode in MHS yet
    "Mobile Hotspot", by definition, is wireless. USB mode tethering is handled by just freetether (which I have never tried).
    I have reintalled this exactly as stated in the instructions several times I even did a hard reset on my pre I always get "Turning on Mobile hotspot" spinning and spinning.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I have got it working on my Pre using Jason's Auto IP Forwarding patch.

One question tho'
    When webos 1.4 becomes available, do I manually have to remove the patch before upgrading as this is not a part of AUPT and then reinstall it later after upgrade (assuming a compatible patch for 1.4 is available) ?

Are there any other steps required before the upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I have got it working on my Pre using Jason's Auto IP Forwarding patch.
    To other readers, that implies it didn't work without the patch... for their benefit, "it will work".

Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    One question tho' When webos 1.4 becomes available, do I manually have to remove the patch before upgrading as this is not a part of AUPT and then reinstall it later after upgrade (assuming a compatible patch for 1.4 is available) ?
    It is not a WebOS patch. It is simply a patch to an installed software package (MHS). It does not need to be removed. Nothing at all related to MHS/freetether needs to be removed. Of course, there is no guarantee they will WORK after 1.4, but removing or keeping them will make no difference.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acet3chnician View Post
    @ rlopin, is there a reason your not using wosqi v2.96
    I just noticed this same thing today and came back to this thread to edit my own post with a mia culpa when I noticed your post. For some odd reason I got it stuck in my head that 2.03 was the latest. Major brain fart -- I am usually really diligent about making sure I have the latest version.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    this is awesome
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Question...Can I install FreeTether/MHS with My Tether already on my Pre?

I have the new beta version of My Tether (2.1.0) on my Pre and it is working great. Will it cause any problems if I also install FreeTether/MHS to try it out or do I need to uninstall My Tether first?