Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neville310 View Post
    WebDoctor restored my Pre to factory conditions and the process was straightforward. Then I began the freetether and Mobile Hotspot installation once again. Upon launch Mobile Hotspot would NOT enable. The switch (on/off) will not move in either direction. One could still change the Network Info and enter the passphrase.
    Well, this is the first time I have heard of this. And it doesn't sound promising. It sounds a lot like something was slipped into the Dr. image to disable MHS...

If you have the time, you can try a complete wipe. I can't think of anything else to try. At this point, I suspect you (and everyone else) are hosed. But do report back any findings.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Sounds like an interesting challenge as it becomes more and more difficult! Similar to my battle with keeping ad-hoc going in the last few webos updates.

since you're already a My Tether donor, you should check out the new beta that's based around MHS, you wont need to mess with the patches or anything My Tether :: Donors Only
    Is the new beta installer not compatible with windows 7. I'm unable to instal it but all the previous versions you had work just fine.
    After you install MHS, freetetherd and the auto enable using QI, the only new app that i can find is the MHS. my laptop will connect but never get a internet signal. i have tried all the resiting the computer, the connection and my IPs are on auto
    Quote Originally Posted by onesillynotch View Post
    After you install MHS, freetetherd and the auto enable using QI, the only new app that i can find is the MHS. my laptop will connect but never get a internet signal. i have tried all the resiting the computer, the connection and my IPs are on auto
    Ya I have the same problem so I'm hoping the new mytether will not have this problem.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onesillynotch View Post
    Yesterday when I installed MHS, everything worked perfect. Today I went to show it off to a coworker and even though I could connect to the phone, my EV icon disappeared and I couldn't get to the Internet from my laptop. I noticed that every time I disconnected the laptop, the EV icon came back, then when I would re-connect it would disappear again. When it disappeared, I used the 'data usage in device menu' patch and noticed it was toggled off. Simply turning it back on made everything work again.

After a little more testing, it appears this work-around only works for me when I use freeTether to enable IP forwarding. When I use the 'auto enable' patch, the data usage stays off even after I turn it on. I'm not sure why that would be since they seem to do the same thing.
    Finally got mine working last night. First off, thank you guys. This is certainly a great advantage we have with our phones (and hopefully it lasts) for those times where you need an internet connection on the spur of the moment. I also cannot justify paying a huge fee every month for something I would only use on occasion. Anyway, here is my history of problems I ran into before getting freetether + mobile hotspot to work:

1. I had MyTether installed on my phone and ran into similar problems other people are having. The patch would not "un-patch" and thus I couldn't play 3D games or work my camera. I went through hell and high water trying to fully uninstall MyTether until I just gave up and Doctored my phone on 1/27/10.

2. After everything was restored, I got the 3 files installed via WebOS QuickInstall but couldn't try out the functionality until I got home. Mind you, this was with JUST FreetetherD so the actual Freetether app couldn't be opened (and I couldn't check to see if it was actually displaying an IP to forward). I was able to connect my laptop to the phone using Mobile Hotspot but no internet was to be had. I tried this on my Macbook Pro too. No good.

3. I decided to go the old route and just manually use both Freetether and Mobile Hotspot (having both open at the same time). I installed Freetether (mind you, I still have FreetetherD installed, but I don't think that makes a difference at this point) and manually opened it up to forward the IP address. I ran into my next problem here: The IP address field was blank!

4. I uninstalled FreetetherD, still got no IP in the field. I reinstalled FreetetherD and patched again and finally got an IP address to show up! I'm not sure how this problem was really fixed. It might have to do with the order in which these applications/patch were installed but I just messed around until it worked.

5. I connected the Macbook Pro to my phone and it immediately worked on the internet. As for my Gateway laptop, it took a little massaging the network card before it would get internet access. After connnecting it to the phone I had to use the "Diagnois & Repair" option in the Network Sharing Center and told the computer to just reset my network adapter. Finally worked and got internet on both laptops. I even streamed youtube from both computers at the same time! Speed wasn't too bad.

Anywho, it's working now so good luck to anybody out there who is still trying to get theirs to work.
    Last edited by Aarkuma; 01/29/2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Has anyone gotten this to work with a PS3?...
    My experience (working great now yay!):

1. Had donor version of MyTether installed. It always worked great, never had any problems installing/removing the patch as needed. However, after completely removing MyTether (theoretically) using the terminal command, I still couldn't get MHS to enable. It would sit forever with the spinning icon, trying to turn on.

2. Doctored my phone last night, with the 1.3.5.1 WebOS Doctor.

3. I was astonished to see that most of my personal files, and all my homebrew apps, were automatically restored with my Palm profile! (Ok, not relevant, but still cool!)

4. Installed FreetherD, Freethether, and MHS. Decided to try it straight up without the auto-enable IP forwarding patch for now. And it works great. No pauses, no glitches, great speed.

And now I see MyTether is gonna jump on this new technique too. I would have just stuck with that if I'd known, but oh well... this works now so I'll stay with this till it doesn't lol.

Thanks Everyone!
    Thanks for all the info shared here! I've been working on this for a while.
    Anyone had issue with the WiFi not automatically connecting to known network after installing the three IPKs?

MHS is working great, but I have to tell my phone to connect to Wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Anyone had issue with the WiFi not automatically connecting to known network after installing the three IPKs?

I have not seen that problem, no. When I turn off MHS, it will immediately reconnect to known wifi networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Ya I have the same problem so I'm hoping the new mytether will not have this problem.
    This question/problem was asked and answered over and over and over

If you launch freetether and do NOT see an IP address in WAN INFORMATION it is almost certain that freetetherd was not installed correctly. Remove it, update your WebOSQI, update all the feeds in WebOSQI, install the "package manager service", and install freetetherd again!

Or, alternatively, add the webos-internals test feed into Preware, and install freetetherd from Preware, instead. Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by crxssi; 02/04/2010 at 09:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    all set what a great program, I uninstalled everything in anticpation of webos 1.4 wooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooo

thank you EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by macd2002; 01/29/2010 at 08:17 PM.
    I cannot download MHS from rapidshare..! help!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    Has anyone gotten this to work with a PS3?...
    No one?...
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    No one?...
    i've gotten mytether to work with my PS3 but i dunno about MHS. and i've also read about people pig tailing their laptop via usb ethernet cable to a PS3 and made it work.
    Thanks...

Unfortunately, I couldn't even get MyTether to work on my phone (donor version), so I'll have to look into this USB Ethernet thing...
    I was using MyTether until MHS came out. Used the ip forwarding patch which doesn't play nicely with MyTether, so i dumped MyTether and installed Freetether. The only thing missing now is the ability to choose source as Wifi or EVDO. It would be nice to see that come into play here, so people can tether with bluetooth on computers without wifi.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    This question/problem was asked and answered over and over and over

If you launch freetether and do NOT see an IP address in WAN INFORMATION it is almost certain that freetetherd was not installed correctly. Remove it, update your WebOSQI, update all the feeds in WebOSQI and install it again!

Or, alternatively, add the webos-internals test feed into Preware, and install freetetherd from Preware, instead. Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Holy Guacamole Batman -- it finally works!

I got MHS working when it first came out. Then Sprint Nav stopped working completely (unrelated to MHS; never figured out why). I had no choice but to run WebOS Doctor. Afterwards, Sprint Nav worked again.

However, when I attempted to reinstall MHS the same way I did the first time, FreeTetherD would not install using WOQI 2.03 -- I kept getting an err 4 exception message. It didn't matter whether I used the original ipk files I had downloaded locally and installed the 1st time (before they were removed from Precentral) or if I added a custom feed to obtain the files. WOQI would just not install FreeTetherD. Installing/re-installing Preware and WOQI multiple times did not work.

Then I saw this post and noticed the 'alternative' suggestion. I used the Terminal app and followed the instructions on the webos internals testing feeds page that was referenced. That allowed me to install FreeTetherD using Preware instead of WOQI. Now it works again!

Thanks crxssi!

[Edit: Rookie mistake on my part -- I was using WOQI 2.03 instead of 2.96.]
    Last edited by rlopin; 01/31/2010 at 09:25 PM.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I have not seen that problem, no. When I turn off MHS, it will immediately reconnect to known wifi networks.
    I just helped my brother in-law install MHS, afterwards he said wifi wouldn't come back on 'till he manually connected. Not sure what causes this either.