Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Just a heads up to you guys, in mobilehotspotd 1.0.6 there is a carrier check for Verizon
    aren't we all using 1.0.3?

... And did you find anything interesting while your were in there? (1.0.6)
    the next webos update will probably make 1.0.6+ the default. not muchelse , but the file is 4KB bigger, so i'm sure theres more limitations added
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    hm, just a thought...the Updates app knows about and checks for updates to all our apps, homebrew and otherwise. That means that, when you use the Updates app, Palm could potentially check for the presence of MHS on your Pre. What if they reached in and deleted it?

...'course, one might have saved the original files, so that it might be possible simply to reinstall the original app, but to do that every time you check for updates might get to be a pain.

Just thinking out loud.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Links down?
    for some reason a mod edited my post with the link...
    not sure why. it is hosted away from here.
    you can PM me if you still want.
    For webOs 1.4 mobile hotspot for sprint probably is going down right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion747 View Post
    well i bet it'll stop working but someone around here will get it to work i bet
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    not likely. MHS was released after 1.4 went to beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirwhistle View Post
    you guys are all waisting your time with all these apps just install mytether and BOOM tethering you go.........by the way no more having to patch either the man has fixed the wifi problem............
    1) Mytether It isn't free
    2) Mytether has been a kludge (It is getting better, though)
    3) Mytether doesn't present Infrastructure, only Ad-Hoc which is a problem for many users
    4) MHS is less likely to break with each WEBOS update
    5) MHS shows what devices are connected
    6) MHS supports WPA (EDIT: Beta version of Mytether now supports WPA, supposedly)
    7) MHS works in the background with no tricks
    8) MHS sends status alerts even when phone is locked

So why are we "wasting our time" again? It took me about 1 minute to install freetether and MHS.
    Last edited by crxssi; 02/01/2010 at 06:31 AM. Reason: new info
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    swapped pre today for new one first app installed MyTether beta and works like a charm just for info enjoy... either one used is great, tested both and speeds were about same.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    for some reason a mod edited my post with the link...
    not sure why. it is hosted away from here.
    you can PM me if you still want.
    Got it to work from home, thanks bro. BTW i think they have to delete it cause it's against policies to distribute files owned by sprint/palm.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by sirwhistle View Post
    As for mytether my pre has never acted strange that only happens when you install to many apps and then try uninstalling them not realizing that they are not completely uninstalled because some apps need to be uninstalled using quickinstall.
    Mytether has never acted strange? NONSENSE!!! Perhaps you need to read the hundreds and hundreds of complaints and problems in the mytether threads!

I have read every post on freetether/MHS since the start. 99% of the problems with MHS have been:

1) People install freetetherd incorrectly because they didn't update their webosQI first [which is not the fault of freetether/MHS] [[And this is 90% of the 99%]]
    2) Their phone was freaked with so many patches and such that it became in an unknown state [which is not the fault of freetether/MHS and also affects Mytether the same way]
    3) Network problems with their client devices [which is not the fault of freetether/MHS]
    4) Signaling issues with the cell network [which also affects Mytether the same way]

The remaining 1% I can't explain, but certainly falls in the same general 1% of Mytether problems that nobody can explain.

Stop trolling!!! I paid for mytether and I am quite familiar with it. It is an OK program, and I am glad it exists, and I am glad he is updating it. But in several important ways it is not as nice as freetether/MHS (on its FIRST VERSION too). The biggest problem with MHS is that it (or the service it relies on) is likely going to get changed and this whole wonderful project might get flushed down the toilet.

If you have something constructive and informative to add- great. Otherwise, please stop pretending that freetether/MHS is junk and Mytether is super-great; because that is just not reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    the next webos update will probably make 1.0.6+ the default. not muchelse , but the file is 4KB bigger, so i'm sure theres more limitations added
    The next webOS image for Sprint will also not include MHS at all. It wasn't designed for Sprint, and when they went from 1.0.3 to 1.0.6, they locked it to Verizon-images phones (somehow).

Unless Sprint introduces some type of tethering plan (like Verizon has), there will never be a newer version of MHS that will work with Sprint phone (unless someone hacks it to death).

The wonderfulness of MHS will quickly and abruptly disappear if 1.0.3 stops working (or the underling service it depends on). Personally, I think it was a series of two "mistakes" on Palm's part- the biggest being letting the unlocked 1.0.3 version "slip" onto the net. The second being the inclusion of the underlying service in the Sprint image of 3.5.X. I hate to sound negative, but I am now almost certain that the parts in WebOS that MHS uses will disappear in the next update.... guess we won't have to wait long to find out....
    That would be my prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    not likely. MHS was released after 1.4 went to beta.
    I don't think it would take but a few seconds for Palm to disable MHS in 1.4 for the Sprint image. Being in beta isn't going to stop such a change.
    i can not find the rapidshare down load, i have the other two but not the rapid share.. any help on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    i can not find the rapidshare down load, i have the other two but not the rapid share.. any help on this?
    Send me a PM with you e-mail account and I will share the .zip file (freetether and hotsopt).
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I hate to sound negative, but I am now almost certain that the parts in WebOS that MHS uses will disappear in the next update.... guess we won't have to wait long to find out....
    I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over it. As long as Verizon's P+ doctor image (and MHS) is downloadable, somebody will find a way to extract the missing services.

Besides, the only "magic" that their package does is set the wifi interface in Access Point (AP) mode. Other than that and the neat user interface, I'd be willing to bet that the core functionality of MHS could be recreated with a few optware downloads and a shell script of 40 lines or less.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over it. As long as Verizon's P+ doctor image (and MHS) is downloadable, somebody will find a way to extract the missing services.

Besides, the only "magic" that their package does is set the wifi interface in Access Point (AP) mode. Other than that and the neat user interface, I'd be willing to bet that the core functionality of MHS could be recreated with a few optware downloads and a shell script of 40 lines or less.....
    I agree with everything you just said (and it doesn't conflict with anything I said either). The "open" nature of the Linux underpinning of WebOS will make it notoriously difficult to stop all tethering methods (until they start seriously mucking around with the kernel driver modules; and they have to be careful there, or they will violate the GPL) in the Pre itself. They will have to attack the "problem" from the Sprint tower side.

I don't think this super-easy solution will remain long.
    Initially, Mytether worked great and gave my data plan added value. Tethering has saved me a couple times when my internet connection drops for whatever reason at work or home. With each WebOS update, Mytether became tangled and inoperable. The developer would quickly fix these issues, yet the camera patch became too cumbersome.

In short, I decided to move to freetether and Mobile Hotspot. First, I removed MyTether and installed the files below. Upon launching Mobile Hotspot, it would continue in an endless cycle to connect and never gave me tethering connectivity.

Then I decided to erase my Pre with WebDoctor (my first time in 7 months). I thought that it would give me a better feel for the Palm Profile backup reliability and ease the Mobile Hotspot installation. WebDoctor restored my Pre to factory conditions and the process was straightforward. Then I began the freetether and Mobile Hotspot installation once again. Upon launch Mobile Hotspot would NOT enable. The switch (on/off) will not move in either direction. One could still change the Network Info and enter the passphrase.

My next step will be to use WebDoctor and start over again. Please let me know your thoughts on this scenario before I proceed with the restore. I could use some tips. Several questions do come to mind listed below.

1. Could the Palm Profile still contain some corrupted files from the MyTether installation?
    2. Should I perform a FULL Erase and delete the USB partition?
    3. Should I install Diffstat and the GNU patch first (the Pre has to be in Developer Mode for WebOS Quickinstall)?

Mobile Hotspot files
    • us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all.ipk
    • us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk
    • com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk

Running
    • MacOSX Leopard
    • WebOS Quick Install 2.96
    • On the Pre, WebOS 1.3.5
    • Sprint Network
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    Right click on your Network Connection Icon > Click on "Network and Sharing Center > On the Pre's network click on "View Status" > In the Activity section click on "Diagnose" > Choose the option to reset your Network Adapter.

It seems I have to do this when switching to the Pre MHS connection from my home WiFi... i have not had to do it yet when the MHS was the only WiFi available.
    running windows 7 and I follow all the steps you state but I never get to "hoose the option to reset your Network Adapter."

might you have another idea?