Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    ok have tried the diagnose several times with no success like i said it's only on a vista machine, windows 7 works fine anyone have a sollution
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=bdarknessb;2178446]For me, each time a device connects or disconnects the EVDO goes away for 20 seconds and come backs, and remains until a device disconnects.

For those that are able to connect on their computers but it does not show on the MHS app, make sure your computers internet is set to automatically obtain IP, and rather is not set to a specific IP. If you are using windows XP go to "My network Places" >> View Connections>> Right Click on your wireless connection>> Properties >> Make sure it is set to automatically obtain IP.

[IMG]

been havin this problem, I hope there is a fix
    i have checked that it is set to automatically optain ip, it connects but local only no internet. have done diagnose and no success anyone!!!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kbywal
    I have the same problem as karmapolice: everything seems to work fine (laptop connected to my PRE) and then suddenly PRE is losing its 3G data connection. It is possible to turn it on again, but after a while it is the same: 3G data connection is lost.

Any help would be appreciated !

EDIT: PRE loses its 3G data connection when a new Wi-Fi connection to the MobileHotSpot is established
    Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by luiggipr View Post
    how? im not browsing at all...
    I followed the directions exactly as in the first post. I used the three files from the MX blog. All three files are in the .rar file download. Works pretty slick.
    please tell me someone has a solution to get vista to get internet thru hotspot. my windows 7 works fine but both vista machines show local only. tried diagnosing on both several times no success
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I doubt they have the resources to review logs and such (to see Firefox strings and etc)... there are just too many customers and too much data.
    Intrusion detection systems (IDS) make this easy, especially when they pick a good fingerprint to look for. They could easily bust Windows users just by looking for DNS queries to windowsupdate.microsoft.com or time.windows.com, which most recent versions of Windows check every once in a while behind the scenes. The *real* question is whether or not they have the manpower to enforce their policies, and I already suspect that the answer is no.

As an aside, I haven't been paying much attention lately, but had to work with Verizon's wired techs on a cable damage problem a few weeks ago. They are *extremely* short-staffed, and their service trucks/vans are in many cases older than some forum participants! One guy was happy because he was being "upgraded" to a truck that was "only" 10 years old. Competition from VoIP and wireless carriers has really hurt the wired side of Verizon, and I'm willing to bet that the wireless carriers are feeling these same pains as unlimited calling prices hits $69.99 and long distance revenue is a thing of the past. Anyway, like I said above, the real question is whether Sprint has the manpower to fight the abuse, because it may be cheaper for them to just live with it or install extra capacity rather than hire people to police customer usage.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Otherwise, I am still very leery of possible "phone home" spyware in it... since that is the only practical way they could know (for people like us, using it rarely).
    Who would it be phoning home to? Remember, mobilehotspot is a pilfered VERIZON .ipk package! It is either phoning home to Palm, or phoning home to Verizon. It probably wasn't designed to phone home to Sprint, Bell eh, O2, or anybody else. The scary popup that several people have received is most likely the standard one that Sprint had Palm install for when you try to tether to your phone using the Palm-provided USB/bluetooth interfaces, which is why it says to call Sprint specifically.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Intrusion detection systems (IDS) make this easy, especially when they pick a good fingerprint to look for. They could easily bust Windows users just by looking for DNS queries to windowsupdate.microsoft.com or time.windows.com, which most recent versions of Windows check every once in a while behind the scenes. The *real* question is whether or not they have the manpower to enforce their policies, and I already suspect that the answer is no.

As an aside, I haven't been paying much attention lately, but had to work with Verizon's wired techs on a cable damage problem a few weeks ago. They are *extremely* short-staffed, and their service trucks/vans are in many cases older than some forum participants! One guy was happy because he was being "upgraded" to a truck that was "only" 10 years old. Competition from VoIP and wireless carriers has really hurt the wired side of Verizon, and I'm willing to bet that the wireless carriers are feeling these same pains as unlimited calling prices hits $69.99 and long distance revenue is a thing of the past. Anyway, like I said above, the real question is whether Sprint has the manpower to fight the abuse, because it may be cheaper for them to just live with it or install extra capacity rather than hire people to police customer usage.

Who would it be phoning home to? Remember, mobilehotspot is a pilfered VERIZON .ipk package! It is either phoning home to Palm, or phoning home to Verizon. It probably wasn't designed to phone home to Sprint, Bell eh, O2, or anybody else. The scary popup that several people have received is most likely the standard one that Sprint had Palm install for when you try to tether to your phone using the Palm-provided USB/bluetooth interfaces, which is why it says to call Sprint specifically.....
    I think it is funny all of the paranoia in this mobile hotspot app. Who gives a crap. Tether away. Just stay within the mythical cap whatever that is. We are on unlimited data. We are using the data that we pay for and just using this app that should have been on the phone from the start. Just don't give them reason to look at your data usage (torrent downloads, etc...).

Also, I believe the people who are getting the error about "this requires an addition to your mobile service plan." Is an install error. I had this installed and running perfectly the first time before I doctored my phone to fix an unrelated problem. It also just means that Sprint wants us to buy yet another adapter (mifi, usb stick, etc...) to gain extra money from not only the adapter itself but the added plan to use it. Sad and pathetic if you ask me if the phone works just as well with the plan we already have and pay for.

I don't see them enforcing this somehow. Even if they could they would lose a lot of business due to it. If available on another carrier at no extra cost then they will just jump ship. As has been shown, there will always be a way to hack around what they try to block. Tether away...until they find a way to block it.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Anyone?
    I am having the same issue now. I installed this and confirmed it was working the day it was posted. I had no issues then. I made some changes (SSID & passphrase) and updated some other apps, then rebooted. All was still well.
    I saw all of this chatter and was going to chime in that I wasn't having any issues. Unfortunately, I am now experiencing the exact same issue. My 3G connection was not coming back on (after waiting about 3 minutes).
    I rebooted again and still have the same issue (as soon as a client connects via WiFi the 3G drops).
    Possible solution: I went back into freeTether, turned off IP Forwarding & NAT, 3G came back on, turn IP forwarding and NAT back on. Now I am back in business (posting from tethered connection).
    SPH-8500-->600-->650-->700-->755p-->Pre
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Ok it looks like there is an issue of where these files are hosted the rapidshare only allows so much. I have a domain and server and can host the files and if anyone wants to donate to my fees so be it but I'd be willing to upload them. I currently have downloaded the com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk and us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk files and the patch is already hosted here I believe. Let me know if this is wanted.
    okay...i'm curretly using mytether 2.0.4. I have downloaded all three .ipk's from the very first post. What are the benefits of using Mobile Hot Spot on sprint if mytether already works?
    Quote Originally Posted by tserna View Post
    okay...i'm curretly using mytether 2.0.4. I have downloaded all three .ipk's from the very first post. What are the benefits of using Mobile Hot Spot on sprint if mytether already works?
    I have both MT and MHS on my phone. I prefer MHS because there is no need to remove a WiFi patch every time I want to use the camera, and it shows you what devices are connected.

All you would have to do is read through some of this thread and your question will be answered!
    IMO MHS loads up faster, more stable, and convenient. You can use MHS on any computer YOU go to instead of being restricted to one, like MyTether
    I agree, MHS does load up faster.
    I don't see anything called "freetether" on my phone after following all the instructions...so, what am I supposed to be running?...

The instructions say I'm supposed to be running something called "freetether" before I run the Mobile Hotspot app...
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    After installing the following Apps/Patches all via WOQI 2.96 Sprint Navigation no longer launches. I keep getting multiple exception errors stating:

"An Exception Occurred. The Sprint Navigation Adapter experienced an exception: Telenav Service was not properly initialized"

and then a final message soon thereafter that says...

"Could not initialized the Sprint Navigation service. Please try again later."

Reboots, Battery Pulls, running the Emergency Repair Tool, uninstalling all of the MHS related apps, services and patches* did not fix the issue. Between my last sucessful run of Sprint Nav and today I installed apps NFS, Glyder2 and patches 'Send All Contacts via email' and the 'No auto-refresh after idle'.

Testing Sprint Nav on my Wife's stock Pre from the same location as mine works.

I am not looking forward to a trip to the WebOS doctor. Does anyone have any other ideas? (I already posted a message to Palm's official help forums but they said they noticed from my posts here on Precentral I had Preware installed and could not offer any help other than to suggest WebOS doctor).

If I knew the exact names of the Sprint Nav files perhaps I could use WOQI to reinstall them.

* MHS Related Apps/Patches
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk
    us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all.ipk
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk
    auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch
    Last edited by rlopin; 01/26/2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added ERT as one of the things I tried to fix issue
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Who would it be phoning home to? Remember, mobilehotspot is a pilfered VERIZON .ipk package! It is either phoning home to Palm, or phoning home to Verizon.
    Like I said, the phone-home thing does not have to be in the mobile hotspot front-end app (which is all we are seeing). That app calls a lower-level service in the OS to do the work. The images installed on the phones are carrier specific, so having a carrier-specific "phone home" destination would not be difficult at all.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSioux View Post
    I think it is funny all of the paranoia in this mobile hotspot app. Who gives a crap. Tether away. Just stay within the mythical cap whatever that is. We are on unlimited data. We are using the data that we pay for and just using this app that should have been on the phone from the start. Just don't give them reason to look at your data usage (torrent downloads, etc...).
    It is not paranoia- it is forward-thinking. I will tell you who gives a crap- Sprint! And no, we are not really on "unlimited data", there is no such thing, since there is a cap. I am not saying it is morally wrong to tether occasionally and responsibly use some data that you would be otherwise using on the Pre, but don't think for a minute that Sprint doesn't care (and many people are NOT responsible). Not having the resources to fight something, and not caring are two different things. And if an easy and cost-effective way to fight it (with phone-home, filtering, or whatever) becomes available, they will surely use it.

Quote Originally Posted by WildSioux View Post
    I don't see them enforcing this somehow. Even if they could they would lose a lot of business due to it. If available on another carrier at no extra cost then they will just jump ship.
    But it *isn't* available "on another carrier at no extra cost". For now, it isn't even available on Sprint *FOR* an extra cost! Right now, they want you to buy yet another mobile hotspot device/dongle along with yet another multi-year contract, and yet another $40-$80/mo plan!
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    I don't see anything called "freetether" on my phone after following all the instructions...so, what am I supposed to be running?...

The instructions say I'm supposed to be running something called "freetether" before I run the Mobile Hotspot app...
    You don't need to (and will not) see anything of freetether since you only need the free tether daemon (freetetherd) which has no GUI (no icon). It runs in the background when needed.

EDIT: Just run the the "mobile hotspot". Nothing else to do (thanks to Jason's patch)
    Last edited by somline; 01/26/2010 at 04:44 PM.