Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    This is an issue I am having and I am hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. I turn on the hotspot application, then the freetether application. My laptop recognizes the wifi and connects. However, it says that the connectivity is limited and that is is local access only.

I have restarted the Pre and the laptop to no avail. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    This is an issue I am having and I am hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. I turn on the hotspot application, then the freetether application. My laptop recognizes the wifi and connects. However, it says that the connectivity is limited and that is is local access only.

I have restarted the Pre and the laptop to no avail. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Same issue here. Anyone?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I haven't used it so far, but have a question before I try this.

Does this mobile hotspot only work as wi-fi tethering or can I use it as USB tethering too?

TIA.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I haven't used it so far, but have a question before I try this.

Does this mobile hotspot only work as wi-fi tethering or can I use it as USB tethering too?

TIA.
    Good question. It's WiFi only. FreeTether will cohabitate with mobile hotspot quite nicely, and provides the USB tethering and Bluetooth tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post

UPDATE: I finally was able to get the hotspot to work. In the repair diagnose portion of the network connections, I had windows reset the IP address. Viola, it worked. 1.75Mb/s down and .23Mb/s up. Not too bad, not too bad at all.
    Installed all 3 listed earlier in the thread. Turned on Mobile Hotspot, connected to it on my laptop. Said local only. Diagnosed connection on laptop, renewed ip address and all was well.

Id also like the ability to use bluetooth and usb tethering, but i dont know where to get the freetether app. I cant find it in preware. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Edit: Nevermind. I found it.
    Last edited by Goofy Footr; 02/01/2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: found what i needed
    I got the IP fwd and MHS installed and working just fine. However, when I terminate MHS, it leaves my wifi turned off and my data services off. Is this normal?

Also, since installing, I've noticed some wicked battery drain (when MHS is NOT running). Anyone else have this happen or am I experienceing something else that's gone wrong with my device??
    Thanks.
    How do I change my Sprint hotspot from UST to Wifi?
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    Good question. It's WiFi only. FreeTether will cohabitate with mobile hotspot quite nicely, and provides the USB tethering and Bluetooth tethering.
    How do you get it to connect via USB or Bluetooth? My wife is thinking of getting a Pixi, and that would be handy. I see the settings down at the bottom, but can't seem to do anything with them.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    How do you get it to connect via USB or Bluetooth? My wife is thinking of getting a Pixi, and that would be handy. I see the settings down at the bottom, but can't seem to do anything with them.
    I've never really managed to get it to work, either, I just know that it's possible. I'm sure searching this forum for a how-to on freetether will turn up instructions. From what I've read, you'll need to find a way to enable usb passthrough. There are several ways to accomplish it, from command-line hackery within webOSquickinstall to an app called "USB Passthrough Control".

The later parts of this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...fi-usb-bt.html may help.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    Oopsie! I meant this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-mytether.html . The other I linked also has some good info, but the signal-to-noise ratio in this one is much higher.
    Can't get it working on verizon it keeps bringing up the verizon page to log in to pay. Any ideas to get tethering it's the only thing I don't have that I had on my droid!?
    @Jason,

The patch I have, has the update date as 4/21/041, thus it is always at the top of the list for Preware... did I miss an updated version of the patch?

Version: 1.3.5.1-2
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I tried installing us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk using quick install 3.01 on mac and I get this error message Clearing state_want and state_flag for pkg=us.ryanhope.freetetherd arch_priority = 0 "blah blah blah

I believe you know the rest..

Is there anything am doing wrong ? please advice
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Worked great for me although I only get 2 to 3 bars of signal strength and the pre is sitting right next to my laptop. My Linksys consistantly gives me 5 bars.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    thanks a million and thanks for not being free for donation only
    I tried uninstalling this patch with both Preware and WebOSQuickInstall and cannot get it to uninstall. I get the error that I have attached. Here is what I did. Deleted the mobile hotspot app, tried uninstalling the patch via Preware (originally installed with WebOSQuickInstall), didn't work so uninstalled the service. Tried uninstalling again via Preware. Tried with WebOSQuickInstall. Didn't work either. Now I still cannot uninstall the patch. Any thoughts?

EDIT: So I thought that it might be the fact that I uninstalled the other items first. I reinstalled them and it still couldn't uninstall. There is now a new error. I have attached this second error as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bpdamas; 02/09/2010 at 07:58 AM. Reason: New Error
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I tried uninstalling this patch with both Preware and WebOSQuickInstall and cannot get it to uninstall. I get the error that I have attached. Here is what I did. Deleted the mobile hotspot app, tried uninstalling the patch via Preware (originally installed with WebOSQuickInstall), didn't work so uninstalled the service. Tried uninstalling again via Preware. Tried with WebOSQuickInstall. Didn't work either. Now I still cannot uninstall the patch. Any thoughts?

EDIT: So I thought that it might be the fact that I uninstalled the other items first. I reinstalled them and it still couldn't uninstall. There is now a new error. I have attached this second error as well.
    Cripes. I think I know what is happening and I don't know of a way to fix it. Basically, I installed this patch prior to moving over all the patches to the different directory. I believe this one is technically hanging over in the other directory or trying to uninstall from the other directory.

Does anyone know if this is right? Is there a way to fix it short of running the doctor?
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Cripes. I think I know what is happening and I don't know of a way to fix it. Basically, I installed this patch prior to moving over all the patches to the different directory. I believe this one is technically hanging over in the other directory or trying to uninstall from the other directory.

Does anyone know if this is right? Is there a way to fix it short of running the doctor?
    FOLLOWING PROCEDURE NOT RECOMMENDED

Just in case anyone is wondering I uninstalled the patch manually through the command line. I just followed the instructions found in the following link.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...008-rules.html
    Last edited by bpdamas; 02/11/2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Not Recommended
    is this confirmed to be working?
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast