Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 294
  1. heltoupee's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Ok so if i want to have the wifi option the only way to do it is with purchasing the mytether software. Correct?
    At present, on WebOS 1.4, yes. If you want wifi, you have to use myTether.

    You could also downgrade to an older version of WebOS (1.3.5 - see here: http://www.precentral.net/webos-doct...e-sprint-users) and use freetether + Mobile Hot Spot. In my case, the time that would take me is worth more than the $15 entry price for myTether, so that is why I'm recommending the 'myTether' option at this point.
  2. shucklak84's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #242  
    Has anyone experienced issues with freetether, while tethering over USB, where only some web pages will load? I know this sounds strange, but it seems like I can only load a very small amount of webpages on my PC while tethering. Most pages just come up with a message that says something like "Unable to connect". I've tried different browsers (IE & FF), and different OS's (XP, Vista 32 and 64) but always get the same results.
  3. #243  
    heltoupee,
    I gave you a big thanks, I'm going to update to 1.41, can't get around it, then try. I will download mytether again tomorrow first just to see.
    I have read about freetether, and I know I get confused with people using one for the other.
    I did have MHS up and running, loved it, not big on mytether. Would really rather go wifi but don't care as long as one runs.
    But I would appreciate the help, I do read these forums, use search religiously before asking silly questions.
  4. #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    I wrote up some here: [url]

    Basically where to find stuff. After you've got it, there's several lists of instructions in several threads. Search for 'freetether' and you'll come up with something.

    It will end up going something like: Get to a terminal, enable USBnet ('usbnet enable' at the terminal), install driver for your version of Windows (look at step 1 here: [url= networking setup - WebOS Internals[/url]) (Linux works OOTB, Mac - not sure), start freetether, enable IP Forwarding (switch in freetether), plug phone into computer, set up connection (use the IP address of the USB connection in freetether as your gateway), get Internets.
    I have searched 'freetether' before, but I'll do it again. Please excuse me, but I have a dumb question. What do you mean by "get to a terminal, enable usbnet at the terminal"? Sorry. Imdum. Lol
  5. jajajija's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #245  
    Update to WebOS 1.4.1.1, then go update your apps - MHS will be one of them and you're back in business! (this is no april fools joke I don't think I could find it in myself to joke about this lol).

    Note - I never tried to reinstall freetether or anything. Since MHS stopped working for me I didn't do any hacks to try and get it to work again.

    UPDATE - Forgot to mention - I used the auto enable ip forwarding patch that Jason created, so I had to re-install it in order for this to work (which makes sense since a new WebOS was installed on the phone).
    Last edited by jajajija; 04/01/2010 at 02:23 PM.
  6. n5nhl's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #246  
    I can confirm jajajija is correct! I just updated MHS from 1.0.3 to 1.0.14, crossed my fingers, started MHS, turned it "on" (THAT WORKED!), started freetether, enabled IP forwarding, connected wirelessly with laptop.
    Result: didn't work for the first 30 seconds, then it worked fine!
    I'm back in business!!! I also hadn't done anything with MHS since 1.4 broke it. I was never able to get the updated MyTether 2.1 to do anything WiFi or USB after 1.4.
    So glad the simple MHS is working again!!!
    SPH-8500-->600-->650-->700-->755p-->Pre
  7. #247  
    I'm stuck, updated to 1.4.1, showed update for MHS and did that, started MHS, turned on, computer shows webOS, hit connect, Pre states its connected.

    Then, Shows "No Internet Access", so bummed.

    So, I have mytether.net installed, Terminus that works with usb tethering installed, and it looks like all the proper ipk's. P.S. Not at all happy with mytether after finally paying $15, never could get it up, screwing with it and its forum's ideas could be culprits.

    So close, need help. I was so happy, will give up some patches for MHS for travel.
  8. lvpre's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #248  
    Search the forms, instructions are posted with files.
  9. #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    You are quite close. First, forget about MHS. Doesn't work on 1.4, regardless of what you've read.
    i got it working, and it works on 1.4.1 too.

    Quote Originally Posted by jajajija View Post
    Update to WebOS 1.4.1.1, then go update your apps - MHS will be one of them and you're back in business! (this is no april fools joke I don't think I could find it in myself to joke about this lol).
    i haven't updated mhs, as 1.0.4 (or whatever) kept working just fine.
  10. jajajija's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    I'm stuck, updated to 1.4.1, showed update for MHS and did that, started MHS, turned on, computer shows webOS, hit connect, Pre states its connected.

    Then, Shows "No Internet Access", so bummed.

    So, I have mytether.net installed, Terminus that works with usb tethering installed, and it looks like all the proper ipk's. P.S. Not at all happy with mytether after finally paying $15, never could get it up, screwing with it and its forum's ideas could be culprits.

    So close, need help. I was so happy, will give up some patches for MHS for travel.
    Did you have the auto enable IP forwarding patch installed? If so you need to reinstall it since you updated WebOS. Here's the link to the patch:

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2173489
  11. #251  
    Hm, like some others here, I'd had MHS, freetetherd, and the auto-enable IP forwarding patch all happily working on 1.3.5.x. After 1.4 broke it, I'd totally left it all alone.

    Last night, I updated MHS to the current 1.0.14.

    I've since been able to get both MHS and my WinXP laptop to say that they're connected to each other, but I haven't been able to get any data down to my laptop's browser.

    This has been true through everything I've tried to fix it: repairing the connection on the laptop side, disabling and re-enabling the wireless on the laptop, rebooting the laptop, turning MHS on and off, rebooting my Sprint Pre, and changing the network name and password in MHS.

    Any ideas on what to try next?

    I guess I could just try deleting and uninstalling everything then starting over with installing MHS 1.0.3...


    UPDATE: The post just above mine posted while I was typing mine, apparently...That sounds like an answer, so I'll try that and report back. Totally makes sense, though, as that patch wasn't originally in Preware and therefore probably wouldn't have been updated when I updated my patches (all otherwise AUPT) last night right after updating to 1.4.1.1.

    UPDATE 2: Hm, just being paranoid, but, since the auto-enable IP forwarding patch wasn't AUPT'ed via Preware, shouldn't that have been a patch that we should technically have removed prior to updating to 1.4.1.1? And if so, what does removing it after having updated do? Could that be a potentially Bad Thing? Regardless, I guess, I've done it now...and reinstalled it via WebOS QI...I'll go try the MHS thing and report back.

    UPDATE 3: Success! So I'd deleted both of the network names that I'd been trying from the Advanced Network settings dialog box in WinXP, but it apparently remembers passwords anyway...I went back to the original network name, keeping the second network password I'd been using, which I'd shortened from the original 13 character password (which worked in MHS 1.0.3 on WebOS 1.3.5.2) to 11, since it let me... and it didn't work. I tried changing the network password back up to a 13 character one (since I have a foggy memory somewhere of that being a necessary length), but a different one than my original. Connected up, and it works! I'm typing this update and submitting it via MHS right now... But here's another moral, though: if the password's not right/working/whatever, the laptop and MHS can still apparently report that they're connected to each other, if they're not.
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 04/01/2010 at 03:14 PM.
  12. #252  
    Mobile Hotspot is working for the first time on our Pres since upgrading them to webOS 1.4. After updating to webOS 1.4.1.1, I installed 1.0.3 from the forums here and then updated it to 1.0.14 from the App Catalog.

    The auto-enable IP forwarding patch is truly the icing on the cake. Thanks, Jason!

    The next step now is to disable webOS from upgrading itself automatically ever again.
  13. #253  
    jajijija - Your did it, I pushed the thanks button - I have been so frustrated, had that in my file for MHS. I was so upset with losing this, I actually paid mytether (which was a complete waste of money, never got it working, tried everything, read forums, spent hours, and nothing). I had this on my phone, don't know if it got lost in update, if mytether screwed with it (deleted it), and loaded some other things for it I took off, but was close.
    Reloaded this and it works, on it now.

    When I updated MHS, this time I did leave it open, don't know if that might help Shadowhawk, I know I have way to many passwords to remember.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to suggest - its so simple, sure I had done it, maybe it didn't go through or got deleted in mess. Just hope it sticks in the future, this is the most useful app out there.
  14. jajajija's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Hm, like some others here, I'd had MHS, freetetherd, and the auto-enable IP forwarding patch all happily working on 1.3.5.x. After 1.4 broke it, I'd totally left it all alone.

    Last night, I updated MHS to the current 1.0.14.

    I've since been able to get both MHS and my WinXP laptop to say that they're connected to each other, but I haven't been able to get any data down to my laptop's browser.

    This has been true through everything I've tried to fix it: repairing the connection on the laptop side, disabling and re-enabling the wireless on the laptop, rebooting the laptop, turning MHS on and off, rebooting my Sprint Pre, and changing the network name and password in MHS.

    Any ideas on what to try next?

    I guess I could just try deleting and uninstalling everything then starting over with installing MHS 1.0.3...


    UPDATE: The post just above mine posted while I was typing mine, apparently...That sounds like an answer, so I'll try that and report back. Totally makes sense, though, as that patch wasn't originally in Preware and therefore probably wouldn't have been updated when I updated my patches (all otherwise AUPT) last night right after updating to 1.4.1.1.

    UPDATE 2: Hm, just being paranoid, but, since the auto-enable IP forwarding patch wasn't AUPT'ed via Preware, shouldn't that have been a patch that we should technically have removed prior to updating to 1.4.1.1? And if so, what does removing it after having updated do? Could that be a potentially Bad Thing? Regardless, I guess, I've done it now...and reinstalled it via WebOS QI...I'll go try the MHS thing and report back.

    UPDATE 3: Success! So I'd deleted both of the network names that I'd been trying from the Advanced Network settings dialog box in WinXP, but it apparently remembers passwords anyway...I went back to the original network name, keeping the second network password I'd been using, which I'd shortened from the original 13 character password (which worked in MHS 1.0.3 on WebOS 1.3.5.2) to 11, since it let me... and it didn't work. I tried changing the network password back up to a 13 character one (since I have a foggy memory somewhere of that being a necessary length), but a different one than my original. Connected up, and it works! I'm typing this update and submitting it via MHS right now... But here's another moral, though: if the password's not right/working/whatever, the laptop and MHS can still apparently report that they're connected to each other, if they're not.
    as far as the queation about the patch - it's always recommended to uninstall all patches prior to updating. So yes you should have removed it prior. Having said that I'll admit I totally forgot I had that installed as well and ran the update before. Whether it's bad or not I can't tell ya unfortunately. But I was happy to get it working (:
  15. jajajija's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    jajijija - Your did it, I pushed the thanks button - I have been so frustrated, had that in my file for MHS. I was so upset with losing this, I actually paid mytether (which was a complete waste of money, never got it working, tried everything, read forums, spent hours, and nothing). I had this on my phone, don't know if it got lost in update, if mytether screwed with it (deleted it), and loaded some other things for it I took off, but was close.
    Reloaded this and it works, on it now.

    When I updated MHS, this time I did leave it open, don't know if that might help Shadowhawk, I know I have way to many passwords to remember.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to suggest - its so simple, sure I had done it, maybe it didn't go through or got deleted in mess. Just hope it sticks in the future, this is the most useful app out there.
    glad it works (:
  16. #256  
    I can only get MHS working without this patch - just set IP-forwarding manually in FreeTether. Plus when I remove the patch, it breaks MHS 1.0.14 so you would have to delete MHS, install MHS 1.0.03 via ipk and update to 1.0.14 via app catalog. There's been some similar reports already scattered in different threads and forums.

    I do like how the patch automates IP-forwarding so you don't have to open FreeTether. Any ideas Jason? TIA.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  17. #257  
    So after more reading and tinkering, it seems that this patch and freetether app do not work well together - breaks MHS 1.0.14. Someone posted MHS which is pre-patched with IP-forwarding. Works great!

    FYI: only need to install the freetetherD and pre-patched MHS ipk's to have wifi tethering. Hope this helps someone.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  18. #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    So after more reading and tinkering, it seems that this patch and freetether app do not work well together - breaks MHS 1.0.14. Someone posted MHS which is pre-patched with IP-forwarding. Works great!

    FYI: only need to install the freetetherD and pre-patched MHS ipk's to have wifi tethering. Hope this helps someone.
    Where is the MHS that is pre-patched located? I would really like to get it working again.
    Play Cricket Wars, Dungeon Quest, m:Mafia, m:Racing, m:Vampire or m:Zombies? Share your codes at MMORPG ID Exchange
  19. #259  
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...print-pre.html

    gives good instructions on getting it set up.
  20. #260  
    I downloaded Mobile Hotspot and Enable IP forwarding and now my patches that were installed are not showing up in installed patches under preware, just shows the one patch for Enable IP Forwarding. Is there a way to fix this??? Now I can't update the one's installed and it says that all patches are available, any help??

Posting Permissions