Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozy1 View Post
    I am using Vista, and at one point I did enable the driver, but I am not sure it is still there.

Is this the procedure:

Instructions for USBNet on Vista & Vista 64bit
    1. On Pre: in the My Tether program turn on usbnet.
    2. Reboot Pre and open My Tether again and turn on DHCP
    3. Plug in Pre to USB
    4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft"winking smiley
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Click Next.

Also, is the step needed where I use a command line to enable usbnet, or can I just toggle it on in MyTether?
    I followed these steps to install the drivers and then just enabled freetether and the tethering worked through usb. I'm not sure if this is uncommon but it still allows me to tether with my laptop on the go which was the main purpose of mobile hotspot for me when it worked.
    I am clueless how to get usb tethering to work using MyTether.
    I've done everything and it still stalls on "Enabling USB Tethering..."
    I'm running on XP.
    Any help?
    This is what I did
    1. downloaded the usbnet-pre.inf file
    2. went to computer management
    3. then device manager
    4. went to Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget
    5. right clicked it and selected update driver
    6. Selected "No, not at this time"
    7. Selected "Install from list, or specific location"
    8. Selected Don't search, I'll choose the driver to install"
    6. picked the Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget from the list
    7. Clicked on "Have Disk"
    8. selected the usbnet-pre.inf file
    9. installed fine
    10. went into connections and the connection is there
    11. turned on USB tethering on my pre and it just sits there, nothing happens.

Am I missing something?
    I have USBnet enabled.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it working.
    Last edited by Demlor; 03/13/2010 at 07:37 PM.
    I hate to ask such a simple question, but why/when do I need/not need IP Forwarding?
    I followed the directions to the T and it did not work for me? My computer can "SEE" the connection, but cannot connect? Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I hate to ask such a simple question, but why/when do I need/not need IP Forwarding?
    IP Forwarding tells the phone's Linux kernel to relay packets from one network interface (like the wifi radio) to another interface (like the EVDO radio). Palm has gone out of their way to make sure that IP forwarding is turned off and stays off, so that you don't "accidentally" tether using your phone. If you want to just talk to your phone via wifi in access point mode, ip_forward doesn't matter. If you want your phone to relay Internet traffic for you, you need to enable ip_forward.

I just spent several hours today trying to figure out how to replace freetether and freetetherd with a shell script, and had to un-do the ugliness that freetetherd kludged together to get ip_forward to stay on. I did succeed, and actually have a script that works...with a few problems yet to be resolved.

One thing that I discovered is that launching the mobilehotspotd daemon from 1.3.5.1 via shell script instead of upstart works the first time, and tethering functions as expected. If I kill the daemon and restart it, the DNS problem reported by someone else appears when you try to tether again. Rebooting fixes the problem, at least for one more tethering session. I'm thinking that the 1.3.5.1 daemon wasn't intended to be restarted, and using the 1.4.0 daemon might get around this problem. Still a work in progress at this point.....
    SWEET, Finally have internet via my Pre again, MHS was working perfect until 1.4. After much reading in this thread as well as others, I finally got it working. I Have Mytether free version, Free Tether, and MHS installed on Pre and I got online via USB by following the above advice of changing my driver on the Ethernet Gadget to the Microsoft Corp one listed above and also making sure that in Advanced settings, the "Automatic Metric" was unchecked and set to 100. This got me online but at a very slow speed and ping. Not sure if it's common for the type of connection this is but at least I can now get online anywhere to access my work webpage.

Every time i try to install the patch with quick install i get this

Put your phone in Airplane mode then do it.
    thanks!
    Couple of Question:

1) which sprint webos do u recommend. (1.2.1, 1.3.1 etc)

2) will patch fix MHS switch from off to on.
    Thanks, work great.
    I've been looking around at tether options. I will be training out of state for 2 months and would like to be able to tether so I have internet while I'm out of state.

I've used WebOS Quick Install, and put homebrew apps on my Pre, but I'm not so keen on rooting. I know MyTether requires rooting, at least I think it does. What about Freetether/MHS? Do I have to root my Pre for that too? I'm really hoping to be able to tether without rooting. My Pre is with Spring, and right now I've got WebOS 1.4.0. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Bryan

EDIT: I saw a post by Jason elsewhere on the site saying he was going to be writing a guide on how to install MyTether without rooting. Did that ever get done? I can't find it.

For the record, if it matters, I have no problem tethering via USB. I don't need to do it wirelessly.
    Last edited by upSLIDEdown; 03/29/2010 at 12:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    I've used WebOS Quick Install, and put homebrew apps on my Pre, but I'm not so keen on rooting. I know MyTether requires rooting, at least I think it does.
    The newest version of myTether does not require rooting. It's an installer that does everything for you. Double-click and forget.

USB tethering works great with 'FreeTether', which, as you might have guessed from the name, requires no financial outlay. The installation process isn't quite as streamlined, but doesn't require rooting. If you've already installed stuff with quickinstall then you've already gone as far as you'll need to to get freetether working.
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    USB tethering works great with 'FreeTether', which, as you might have guessed from the name, requires no financial outlay. The installation process isn't quite as streamlined, but doesn't require rooting. If you've already installed stuff with quickinstall then you've already gone as far as you'll need to to get freetether working.
    Awesome. That's what I wanted to hear. Will it work with webOS 1.4.0?

Where can I find the instructions for FreeTether?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Where can I find the instructions for FreeTether?
    I wrote up some here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2340673

Basically where to find stuff. After you've got it, there's several lists of instructions in several threads. Search for 'freetether' and you'll come up with something.

It will end up going something like: Get to a terminal, enable USBnet ('usbnet enable' at the terminal), install driver for your version of Windows (look at step 1 here: USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals) (Linux works OOTB, Mac - not sure), start freetether, enable IP Forwarding (switch in freetether), plug phone into computer, set up connection (use the IP address of the USB connection in freetether as your gateway), get Internets.
    I have followed both sets of instructions above, well written, as well as updated the MHS.
    Neither one works.
    My Tether shows connected, laptop recognizes the AO Network, but will not transmit data.

MHS will not open.

I have researched, donated, till I am sick, loved that option, will be boating this summer and just what I needed, but don't want to doctor backwards because it will just happen again on some update.

Is it possible that one prevents the other, such as MHS prevents My Tether from operating?
    Others do not seem to have this problem, up and running.

I am SO close . . . . but I've just about had it.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    I am SO close . . . . but I've just about had it.
    You are quite close. First, forget about MHS. Doesn't work on 1.4, regardless of what you've read. myTether's going to be your only option here. It sounds to me like myTether's gotten confused about whether ip forwarding is enabled or not. Install freetether as described above. Make sure you've got myTether version 2.10 (the latest). Start up myTether, get connected to the network, then, start up freetether and turn IP forwarding on and see if that fixes it for you.
    I'm on the road till Thursday and I'm going to try all of this again.
    First, I'm going to delete MHS just in case.
    Then, I'm going to delete 2.1.0 which I have and reload - you say 2.10 but I checked carefully and that is all I saw when I read mytether forums.
    There is no yellow exclamation in Device Manager, I had downloaded whatever that was on Network Adapter.
    Then I'm going to try this again.
    Right now, both Wifi and USB show the same. When I turn on, my netbook picks up the AONet, shows excellent signal, but when I try to connect, it won't, yellow error comes up.

I do have my phone on Just Charge when plugged in for USB. In the directions above, it says Start up my tether (switch on), connects, then start up freetether. I'm not doing that, it does ask for enable DCHP on USB, but nothing to start. Could that be it?? I also don't turn on IP forwarding, no option to do so.

Any suggestions I will follow, appreciate, and give big thanks. Will report back on Thursday, hopefully with progress.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Yes, myTether 2.1.0 is correct.

The switch for ip forwarding is in freetether, not mytether -- it's a separate application. Freetether basically delivers the same USB and bluetooth tethering functionality that myTether does, but doesn't cost anything. ip forwarding is the first switch on the "main" tab in freetether. I've got freetether up right now on the phone, and am posting this via USB-tether. I've also got WiFi tethering to work via myTether. In my opinion, the only reason to use myTether is for WiFi functionality.

Good luck. Once you choose which method you'd like to use to tether, then I can find specific instructions for you on getting it to work.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Ok so if i want to have the wifi option the only way to do it is with purchasing the mytether software. Correct?