Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Here is a quick and dirty way to block webOS updates:

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon or chmod +x UpdateDaemon (to turn on)
    mount -o remount,ro /
    killall UpdateDaemon

Then reboot

No more executing the update program.

To reenable updates, you would do the opposite. Instead of chmod -x you'd do chmod +x, and the other commands stay the same.
  2. Cba
    delao13-

i only know enough to be dangerous and get the wonderful MHS operating on my pre.....

my question is: what screen would I have open to enter the code you mention above to prevent further OS updates?

many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cba View Post
    delao13-

i only know enough to be dangerous and get the wonderful MHS operating on my pre.....

my question is: what screen would I have open to enter the code you mention above to prevent further OS updates?

many thanks!
    Care to share that info with your fellow risk takers?

webOS Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cba View Post
    delao13-

many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    Care to share that info with your fellow risk takers?
    WebOS Internals wiki: Blocking Updates

You can simply use the commandline option in the Tools menu of WebOS Quick Install.

5. nigallin
    Has anyone gotten MHS + freethether or MHS + enable ip forwarding patch to work on 1.4? I've tried all the methods described on this thread and no dice.
    I too have spent the last 2 evenings trying to figure it out, about 4,000 commands, 8 files and 8 hours later I too have not been able to get it to work. LOL
    Can't get it to work either. Any help out there?
    i tried couldnt get it to work
    i had mobile hot spot working, then i updated to 1.4 and reinstaled everything and now hot spot wont let me slide the slider to on and says "mobile hotspot service is not running" at the bottom, an ideas?
    Anybody out there get this to work sense updating to1.4? Out of all the coders and developers out there. I'm sure theres somebody. Please help. Fixing to go o road trip and would really make the trip more enjoyable.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame808 View Post
    I too have spent the last 2 evenings trying to figure it out, about 4,000 commands, 8 files and 8 hours later I too have not been able to get it to work. LOL
    I got it working in significantly less than 4,000 commands, but was such a doofus that I didn't write them all down! Half of them were:

tail /var/log/messages -or-
    tail /var/log/mobilehotspot*

to figure out what services weren't loading or kept exiting with errors.

I've already posted the bits and pieces that I remember on the other MHS thread here. The executive summary is that WebOS 1.3.5.x came with supporting service for MHS 1.03, and those services were removed or deactivated in WebOS 1.4.0. By going to my WebOS 1.3.5.1 backups and pulling out a handful of files, I was able to put everything (mobilehotspotd, PmNetConfigManager, and minidhcp among others) back into place so that MHS 1.03 could be re-installed from it's distribution package and run like it used to. My concern is that this type of downgrading of binaries is exactly what got the my tether folks into trouble from what I've heard, which may explain why their users had to endure broken cameras at one point. What I did is not the proper solution, and probably won't be viable for more than one more WebOS update before it breaks things as well.

Over in the GSM area, there are instructions for getting a more recent version of MHS (1.0.11?) running on an O2 Germany Pre running WebOS 1.4.0. If you can replicate that effort, it would be the easiest/cleanest way to get things going IMO.....
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    So my question is do you think we will get this resolved so that it will be a patch. Or is it just better to get the my tether service?
    I hope this isn't a noob question, but does MHS work with a Sprint phone? I can't get MyTether to work anymore after 1.4.0 and this time I even tried adding freeTether with IP Forwarding.
    Is there any way to modify this patch to auto enable ip forwarding when mytether is opened? I have free tether and mytether on my phone. Mytether will not work if you have free tether installed without turning on ip forwarding. I want to keep both on the phone, and that would make it easier then opening free tether when I want to use mytether.. Thanks Jason
    Jason, does free tether work for you without MyTether? I have Sprint, but can't get MyTether to work after 1.4.0. I added freetether and ipforwarded, but nothing.

Also, does anybody know if it's normal to have MyTether keep saying "Enabling USB Tethering..." indefinitely, or should that message go away?
    Free tether does work for me with out mytether. I have sprint too. It should not keep saying "Enabling USB Tethering" I would suggest using free tether to usb tether, and use mytether to Wifi tether. If you are using free tether to tether over usb, make sure mytether is not running. If you have both installed, you need to enable ip forwarding in free thether for mytether to give you data through wifi.
    Rozy, what os are you using on your computer? Did you enable the network driver to be able to usb tether? If not I can explain how.
    I am using Vista, and at one point I did enable the driver, but I am not sure it is still there.

Is this the procedure:

Instructions for USBNet on Vista & Vista 64bit
    1. On Pre: in the My Tether program turn on usbnet.
    2. Reboot Pre and open My Tether again and turn on DHCP
    3. Plug in Pre to USB
    4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft"winking smiley
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Click Next.

Also, is the step needed where I use a command line to enable usbnet, or can I just toggle it on in MyTether?
    Last edited by Rozy1; 03/11/2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: .
    Loonytunes, I got it working and am now posting with the connection.

What I had to do was go into device management and I saw that 'Remote NDIS based sharing device' was not enabled.
    That is exactly what I was going to suggest! Glad you are up and running! That seems to be the problem most are having and it is a simple f!ix. Again, glad you got it working.. Enjoy!