Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This patch makes zinge's app, Brightness Unlinked, start automatically in the background when the phone reboots, luna is restarted, or the phone is powered on.

Thanks zinge for the great app!

Brightness Unlinked, available through Preware, must be installed for this patch work.

Update: My patch is now available through the Preware feed.

It can be found under the "Patches/Misc" section called Launch Brightness Unlinked on Luna Boot in the Preware feed.

This is also my first patch, so any feed back, either on the implementation of the patch, or submission of the patch would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by xenoph0be; 02/08/2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Added credit where credit is due.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenoph0be View Post
    This patch makes the Brightness Unlinked application start automatically in the background when the phone reboots, luna is restarted, or the phone is powered on.
    thank god...hope it hits preware soon
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Nice. Thanks for this.
    I just downloaded it from Preware. Whoo hoo!
    Sweet, this is awesome.
    does this app cause much battery drain since its running in the background?
  7.    #7  
    I'm not sure how much battery drain the brightness unlinked adds. You might ask in the app's topic that can be found here.

zinge's Brightness Unlinked app topic
    i dont see it on preware....but manually installed in via QuickInstall works fine.

question for those seeing it on preware, is it under patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    i dont see it on preware....but manually installed in via QuickInstall works fine.

question for those seeing it on preware, is it under patch?
    This. However, I'll just go ahead and install it on webOSQI.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  10.    #10  
    I think someone was mistaken. I haven't received the confirmation that it has been added to the preware feed yet. As soon as its in the preware feed I will update the first post on this thread.
    This is awesome - thanks so much!

A little off topic, but I noticed that one of the other apps that luna.conf has running at reboot is the camera. Does anyone know why that is? The other apps I can see as necessary in order to have notifications and syncing and whatnot, but the camera?? Couldn't that just be something that we start up when we need it but doesn't need to run otherwise? Any ideas?
    What does having this app start on boot do?

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    I love the patch cause I always like to keep BU running. But I noticed while playing some of the new fancy 3d games like Assassins Creed, the BU running in the background notification kept coming up. Like it was being cleared from memory then starting to run again. Without the patch it doesn't do this, so the patch is definitely doing it thing to keep BU running.

Hope this ends up in preware. I think there is a new portal to submit patches which has a faster turnaround. Might wanna check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    I love the patch cause I always like to keep BU running. But I noticed while playing some of the new fancy 3d games like Assassins Creed, the BU running in the background notification kept coming up.
    I've noticed this too, so I've taken to turning off BU before I run Assassin's Creed. It's probably not necessary, but I find the notifications to be a bit distracting. Just my personal preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I've noticed this too, so I've taken to turning off BU before I run Assassin's Creed. It's probably not necessary, but I find the notifications to be a bit distracting. Just my personal preference.
    same
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    What does having this app start on boot do?
    I hated having to start the app after every battery swap, which i was doing at least once a day for a while. I made the patch to save myself a step. I thought others might benefit from what I found.

The point of starting it on every reboot is to make the touchstone off option and different keyboard/screen brightnesses work without having to remember open the app to accomplish the same task.

I love the patch cause I always like to keep BU running. But I noticed while playing some of the new fancy 3d games like Assassins Creed, the BU running in the background notification kept coming up. Like it was being cleared from memory then starting to run again. Without the patch it doesn't do this, so the patch is definitely doing it thing to keep BU running.
    The patch only starts BU on reboot. It does not check to see if BU has been closed/stopped and restart it. If you've been having problems with the notification you might want to check the BU official thread and see if zinge is working on a fix.
    Last edited by xenoph0be; 01/28/2010 at 11:15 PM.
    great! i was starting it every night before bed. i always have to do a luna restart during the day.
    Great patch! BU is great & this makes it even easier!
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    any word on this showing up in preware?
  20.    #20  
    any word on this showing up in preware?
    I haven't heard anything yet. I've been lurking in the IRC channel some, but haven't asked. I noticed that one of the dev's posted on this thread and wasn't sure if he was just feeling out the patch before inclusion to the feed, or what was up. I will ask next time I see dBsooner on IRC.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast