Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    I love the idea of this patch, but eventually it consumes so many resources I have to restart Luna. I removed it because I became frustrated with not being able to open additional cards. BU should have the option of starting up on boot through a cron job or init.
    i agree
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    aargrl, constant reboot after installing this patch on 1.3.5.2 German Pre.
    Even after battery remove: it boots, PALM logo pumps then it enters my startscreen, but the launcher only shows the launchpad logo in the middle and after aome seconds it tries to start luna again(PALM logo pumping)

While connected to USB it's nearly the same, but instead of showing startsscreen for seconds it shows USB-option for 2 seconds, then reboots again.

how can i uninstall it without beeing able to boot completly???
    Do you have shell/SSH access to your phone through wifi (and wifi is turned on), or is it in developer mode turned on? Does it appear to be doing a full restart, or just a Luna restart?

If you have shell access, and wifi is enabled, and you know the IP, you should be able to connect to it even though Luna is not working correctly. The file that is changed by my patch is /etc/palm/luna.conf. The drive must be put into read/write mode, then you should be able to change the file.

The same should be true for developer mode just use novaterm/novacom. If not you might drop by #webos-internals on the freenode IRC network.

In theory, this patch should not cause Luna to start crashing. There is another German user with the patch installed, although I am unsure if his phone is english, german, or if it even matters in the luna.conf.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    I love the idea of this patch, but eventually it consumes so many resources I have to restart Luna. I removed it because I became frustrated with not being able to open additional cards. BU should have the option of starting up on boot through a cron job or init.
    I would be interested in whatever proof you have that it is the patch, or the application that is using up an obscene amount of resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenoph0be View Post
    I would be interested in whatever proof you have that it is the patch, or the application that is using up resources.
    well for one...everything is back to normal when I remove the patch...how else can I find out what's causing this issue?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

and it usually starts happening when in the notification área you see the message...brightness unlinked running...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    well for one...everything is back to normal when I remove the patch...how else can I find out what's causing this issue?
    What kind of issues, specifically, do you have when the patch is installed? Do they always happen after a set amount of time? What is done to reproduce it with frequency? Do you have the same issues when you manually start BU after a reboot?

and it usually starts happening when in the notification área you see the message...brightness unlinked running...
    I've seen this myself, and there must be something funny going on with Luna, which causes additional calls to the programs that it keeps alive. I will see if i can make note of the problem next time it happens and check my messages log to see whats going on.
    What kind of issues, specifically, do you have when the patch is installed? Do they always happen after a set amount of time? What is done to reproduce it with frequency? Do you have the same issues when you manually start BU after a reboot?
    I don't know the set amount of time...all I know what fixes it is temporarily do the garbage collect from jstop...or a luna restart...but I haven't figured out exactly what's causing it...I'll try and find out unless someone else can figure it out
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

8.    #48  
    I don't know the set amount of time...all I know what fixes it is temporarily do the garbage collect from jstop...or a luna restart...but I haven't figured out exactly what's causing it...I'll try and find out unless someone else can figure it out
    Next time it happens for you, sort by memory usage and see if brightness unlinked is near the top, or bottom. Also, do you notice this problem when you manually start BU after a reboot/luna restart?
    Next time it happens for you, sort by memory usage and see if brightness unlinked is near the top, or bottom. Also, do you notice this problem when you manually start BU after a reboot/luna restart?
    no idea....but I'll try and figure out because it does happen everyday
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

well it happened again....i was using preware in the background and i opened a browser but b4 it loaded i went back to preware....it studdered a bit and i saw on the bottom in the notification area that brightness unlinked is running without me doing anytihng to it....it started acting slow so i opened jstop...it gave me the 2 many cards error...i exited preware and the browser...it took jstop like 5 seconds to open it had 43 MB on the top and it showed the launcher to have 800+ nodes but i didnt c the handles...brightness unlinked was showed all the way at the bottom....i was about to hit the garbage collect but out of no where it went from 43 MB to 23MB by itself...first time it does that...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Do you have shell/SSH access to your phone through wifi (and wifi is turned on), or is it in developer mode turned on? Does it appear to be doing a full restart, or just a Luna restart?
    Well i have not installed any ssh software on the pre, wifi should be turn on but as it loops the reboot i doubt having access to it.

It appears to loop in luna reboot, cause the cycles are ery short and it's always the pumping PALM logo not the solid one.
    If you have shell access, and wifi is enabled, and you know the IP, you should be able to connect to it even though Luna is not working correctly. The file that is changed by my patch is /etc/palm/luna.conf. The drive must be put into read/write mode, then you should be able to change the file.

The same should be true for developer mode just use novaterm/novacom. If not you might drop by #webos-internals on the freenode IRC network.

In theory, this patch should not cause Luna to start crashing. There is another German user with the patch installed, although I am unsure if his phone is english, german, or if it even matters in the luna.conf.
    I'm not sure if developer mode was active by the time i installed the patch, but sadly in
    # looping reboot mode: the device is not recognised by novaterm (localhost in USB) telling "failed to connect to novacomd". Same with WebOSQI "linux command line" getting error "no device detected"
    # in USB recovery mode (volume up while booting) in novaterm i get a line displayed in the grey part telling something like "Port 3018 NDUID xxxxxxxxxxx", but i never get a shell prompt. command "help" brings me the command list :
    -nduid: get the device id
    -usb: usb transfer commands
    -lboot: boot linux image
    So i'm in bootie but, do i have away to access /etc/palm/luna.conf from here or at least access my usb partition user data, so i can save them before WebOSDoctor ?

Help would be appreciated...

[Update]
    With some help in the #webos-internals irc-chat i managed to get the webosdoctor bootimage to be loaded in usb recovery mode and from there on mount the pre volumes.
    I found then the luna.conf had 0 bytes and copied the luna.conf.webosinternals.orig to luna.conf. then unmount all volumes and reboot. This was it. Now only my icons put into the wave-launcher disapared, have to look how to get them back -(oops found them down on the first launcher card).

Btw. the precedure i've done (access novaterm without having dev-mode enabled)
    is this:
    * Put your phone into usb recovery mode

1. Insert the USB cable into the AC charger, and insert the AC charger into a wall outlet.
    2. Remove and reinsert the phone battery. See Replace the battery.
    3. Press and hold the volume up button, and insert the USB cable into the phone.
    4. A large USB icon should appear on the phone screen.
    5. Plug the USB cable into your computer
    * then extract from your webosdoctor image (webOSDoctor\resources\webOS.tar) the file "nova-installer-image-castle.uImage"

and follow the details on the webosinternals site Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals

Another available option now that bootie is running is to send bootie a Linux image over USB and perform some kind of recovery work directly on the pre itself. This is not recommended unless you are very familiar with linux systems administration.

First you send bootie the boot image of the doctor's installer. This can be extracted from the WebOS Doctor jar.

novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

[/Update]

Sorry for posting this one here, but perhaps someone could use this later on...

Well i don't know what really went wrong by applying this patch on my device (luna.conf with 0bytes?), but i could remove it savely from preware now. Next up is a huge backup session ...
    ive had to remove this because it was causing bu to crash, it would randomly give me the 'BU is running' message in the dashboard then bu would shut down. Got fed up of this happening
    Yes, it is annoying but the benefits out way the problems to me.
    i decided to remove the patch....it would slow down my phone to hell...now its all better...and im my opinion its worth pressing the notification everytime to have it run instead of having my phone slow down causing to luna or full restart...please fix this!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

15.    #55  
    i decided to remove the patch....it would slow down my phone to hell...now its all better...and im my opinion its worth pressing the notification everytime to have it run instead of having my phone slow down causing to luna or full restart...please fix this!
    Not something I can fix. If you're really having a problem with the program you can post in the BU thread. Keep in mind though, this patch is essentially a hack for the lazy. I've only noticed the slow down a few times, and it hasn't been frequent enough to cause me to want to remove it. YMMV.
    Not something I can fix. If you're really having a problem with the program you can post in the BU thread. Keep in mind though, this patch is essentially a hack for the lazy. I've only noticed the slow down a few times, and it hasn't been frequent enough to cause me to want to remove it. YMMV.
    not having a problem with the program...the program is working fine...after i took away the persistent patch and kept on running bu manually...its a huge different...doesnt freeze like b4...if u cant fix this then uh well just letting u know theres a problem and its not bu...i guess ill just wait for jason robitaille to implement starting an application on his preset reset
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I have not notice this slow down my phone, but I will get the random "BU is running..." notification during use. However, I do notice that this often happens when running FriendsFlowBeta. any idea why that may be causing this?
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I get the slow down alot, email, internet.... Very nice patch to a patch but needs a little work.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I've run into the same issues that maxima2k53 has addressed.

Basically, phone will slow to a crawl, then will see 'brightness unlinked is running' and everything goes back to normal.

Just uninstalled the patch and will just use the app by itself for a few days, see if there is a change.

1.4.1.1 running Brightness Unlinked ver 0.3.3
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I was having this problem as well, and also uninstalled the patch do to it. But now I forget to open Brightness Unlinked, and then when I do, I don't want it in the dashboard, and it doesn't run unless I keep it there...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast