Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 350
  1. osirus's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
       #1  
    Is there a way to patch this app and Make It Usable For Sprint It Actually Worked On My Pre When I Doctored It Attachment 41010
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/24/2010 at 12:10 AM.
    Hi Everybody!!!
  2. #2  
    I wouldn't doubt that shortly after the release of the Verizon devices, someone will have extracted the software and reversed engineered it to work on the Sprint Pre.
  3. osirus's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
       #3  
    i tried this and got a No sharing service error
    Last edited by osirus; 01/22/2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: edit
    Hi Everybody!!!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus View Post
    i tried this and got a No sharing service error
    I hope someone is looking into this, because it would be really awesome to have working on Sprint.... especially because that stupid Mytether program now sucks with the patching and everything else....


    And hey, is that really you in your avatar? Are you like a model or something? If you're single, I could help you fix that....
    .
    .
    .
    Just kidding. Like the signature though.
  5. osirus's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
       #5  
    thanks
    Hi Everybody!!!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus View Post
    i tried this and got a No sharing service error
    something about contacting sprint???

    this is what i do step by step

    Install one by one with WebOS QI
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7
    us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all

    Open freeTether
    Check that both options (IP Forwarding and NAT) are ENABLED

    Open Mobile HotSpot
    If first time
    Set SSID
    Set Encryption Type
    Set PassPhrase
    Turn it ON

    now I check with my laptop for my PRE's SSID and connect to it
    Mobile HotSpot will say that my laptop is connected to my pre
    after a few seconds... maybe 30... internet starts working on my laptop

    Then I close freeTether and Mobile HotSpot....
    ----------------------------
    But if you don't activate IP Forwarding on freeTether, you'll receive an error about being unable to share your connection, contact Sprint

    ----------------------------

    If you get the contact sprint error... just ignore it
    Possible solutions for those who can connect to the Pre but can't access Internet

    1. Check again in freeTether that BOTH, IP Forwarding and NAT are ENABLED
    2. Check that EV is shown on the Pre, sometimes (for me always) the radio resets and I hav e to wait
    3. Try and use Repair Connection option from Windows (right click on the Wireless Icon in the Notificaction area (Next to the clock in the taskbar) and select whatever is similar to Repair Connection)
    4. Wait a little (max 1 min)... keep trying to access Google, and keep checking that EV is shown on the Pre
    Last edited by figus; 01/23/2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Added Possible solutions for not being able to use Internet
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by figus View Post
    something about contacting sprint???

    this is what i do step by step

    Install one by one with WebOS QI
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7
    us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all

    Open freeTether
    Check that both options (IP Forwarding and NAT) are ENABLED

    Open Mobile HotSpot
    If first time
    Set SSID
    Set Encryption Type
    Set PassPhrase
    Turn it ON

    now I check with my laptop for my PRE's SSID and connect to it
    Mobile HotSpot will say that my laptop is connected to my pre
    after a few seconds... maybe 30... internet starts working on my laptop

    Then I close freeTether and Mobile HotSpot....
    ----------------------------
    But if you don't activate IP Forwarding on freeTether, you'll receive an error about being unable to share your connection, contact Sprint
    What is this freeTether app? How does it work, how does it allow the mobile hot spot app to allow tethering if used with Sprint? Can sprint then track this usage? Does it interfer with the normal operation of the phone? Do you turn off the wifi first on the phone (like on mytether) or leave it on? Could you go into some details?
  8. #8  
    Also, is freetether available in Preware????? I read somewhere else that it is....
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus View Post
    Is there a way to patch this app and Make It Usable For Sprint It Actually Worked On My Pre When I Doctored It Attachment 41010
    Hi Osirus,

    I'm using MyTether to accomplish what you want. It's gotten pretty clumsy in response to recent WebOS updates. (I suspect you know about this option, and it's pitfalls, but I could summarize them here (or find a link to a possibly existing summary) if you want to consider that route.

    I haven't yet looked at or explored the app you attached. Is that the Verizon mobile hotspot app or something else? If it's the Verizon one, I'm assuming it will need to be dissected, reverse engineered, and modified in order to support and authentication or checks that the carrier might be doing in the app.

    I believe with the advent of the PDK, that it should be possible to write a new tether/wifi app that relies less on whatever WebOS services the carriers are using to break tethering in each WebOS update. I have not heard about anyone is working on such an app. (Maybe someone is, or maybe my suggestion here might spark someone to get started on this.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    What is this freeTether app? How does it work, how does it allow the mobile hot spot app to allow tethering if used with Sprint? Can sprint then track this usage? Does it interfer with the normal operation of the phone? Do you turn off the wifi first on the phone (like on mytether) or leave it on? Could you go into some details?
    freeTether, you can find it in Webos-internals, Testing section (i looked for it on preware.org, went to the feeds and looked into webos-internals ---- Testing

    Verizon Pre already does IP Forwarding, but Sprint Pre doesn't, freeTether activates that (settings get back to default on reset) (creates a bridge between WiFi and EvDO connections)

    If you activate Mobile HotSpot with your WiFi on, it will tell you that WiFi will be restored when you turn off Mobile HotSpot, so there's no need to deactivate WiFi

    They shouldn't... since freeTether just activates a Bridge connection... just don't go over 5 GiB (see post below by helidos)

    You can use Mobile HotSpot alone... but if your phone doesn't have that bridge connection, you won't be able to connect to Internet... just in the local LAN created by the PRE (Network Segment 10.1.1.0, starting on 10.1.1.200)

    Don't know if freeTether is available on preware (application)... I already had the IPKs, but you can look for it
    Last edited by figus; 01/22/2010 at 11:12 AM.
  11. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by figus View Post
    freeTether, you can find it in Webos-internals, Testing section (i looked for it on preware.org, went to the feeds and looked into webos-internals ---- Testing

    Verizon Pre already does IP Forwarding, but Sprint Pre doesn't, freeTether activates that (settings get back to default on reset) (creates a bridge between WiFi and EvDO connections)

    If you activate Mobile HotSpot with your WiFi on, it will tell you that WiFi will be restored when you turn off Mobile HotSpot, so there's no need to deactivate WiFi

    They shouldn't... since freeTether just activates a Bridge connection... but if Sprint sees that your Data usage is through the ceiling... maybe they'll notice (some website says that phone data usage shouldn't be more than 100MiB a month...)

    You can use Mobile HotSpot alone... but if your phone doesn't have that bridge connection, you won't be able to connect to Internet... just in the local LAN created by the PRE (Network Segment 10.1.1.0, starting on 10.1.1.200)

    Don't know if freeTether is available on preware (application)... I already had the IPKs, but you can look for it
    If you stay below the 5Gb mythical limit you will be fine if you start going over the mythical limit repeatedly you will get a phone call. After that sprint could and just might boot you off the network.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by figus View Post
    freeTether, you can find it in Webos-internals, Testing section (i looked for it on preware.org, went to the feeds and looked into webos-internals ---- Testing

    Verizon Pre already does IP Forwarding, but Sprint Pre doesn't, freeTether activates that (settings get back to default on reset) (creates a bridge between WiFi and EvDO connections)

    If you activate Mobile HotSpot with your WiFi on, it will tell you that WiFi will be restored when you turn off Mobile HotSpot, so there's no need to deactivate WiFi

    They shouldn't... since freeTether just activates a Bridge connection... just don't go over 5 GiB (see post below by helidos)

    You can use Mobile HotSpot alone... but if your phone doesn't have that bridge connection, you won't be able to connect to Internet... just in the local LAN created by the PRE (Network Segment 10.1.1.0, starting on 10.1.1.200)

    Don't know if freeTether is available on preware (application)... I already had the IPKs, but you can look for it
    So you just activate freetether and then mobile hot spot works. And then deactivate freetether when done? You have to reboot though afterward, correct? Would be nice if the reboot wouldn't be necessary......
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    So you just activate freetether and then mobile hot spot works. And then deactivate freetether when done? You have to reboot though afterward, correct? Would be nice if the reboot wouldn't be necessary......
    That's correct, NO need to reboot, NO need to patch, nothing, just activate and deactivate... like the first myTether

    you can close all the cards and keep tethering (MHS will stay in notification area), no need to use nodoze like with myTether
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    If you stay below the 5Gb mythical limit you will be fine if you start going over the mythical limit repeatedly you will get a phone call. After that sprint could and just might boot you off the network.
    this is False.... the 5GB limit is just for Sprint aircards and Mifi wireless hotspot.
    i have Mytether and use it everyday for hours at a time. Well to double check i called Sprint Care. Without saying why i wanted to know if my plan had a data limit like the air cards. He said if your on "the simply everything plan" you do not have a limit on data, Only the air cards have the 5GB limit. so i asked "sooo if i somehow used over 70 GB of data on my phone I won't be charged anything other then my regular monthly bill?" he said correct. i told him thankyou and have a nice day.
  15. jp22382's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #15  
    just tried what figus outlined at worked like charm the first try

    Here are the ipks for freetether from preware.org:

    http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....0.3_armv7.ipk

    http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-..._0.0.1_all.ipk
    Last edited by jp22382; 01/22/2010 at 12:45 PM.
  16. #16  
    How did you do it? I follow the same directions and I am getting the Need to contact Sprint Message. I''ve done the IP forward and NAT as explained; kept both FreeTether and Mobile Hotspot ON, connect the laptop to the Pre network SSID but could not surf.....
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    this is False.... the 5GB limit is just for Sprint aircards and Mifi wireless hotspot.
    i have Mytether and use it everyday for hours at a time. Well to double check i called Sprint Care. Without saying why i wanted to know if my plan had a data limit like the air cards. He said if your on "the simply everything plan" you do not have a limit on data, Only the air cards have the 5GB limit. so i asked "sooo if i somehow used over 70 GB of data on my phone I won't be charged anything other then my regular monthly bill?" he said correct. i told him thankyou and have a nice day.
    I really hope this is true, I wish we could find some reports of someone going 10 or 15Gb over the limit and having no problems.
  18. jp22382's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymacgarcia View Post
    How did you do it? I follow the same directions and I am getting the Need to contact Sprint Message. I''ve done the IP forward and NAT as explained; kept both FreeTether and Mobile Hotspot ON, connect the laptop to the Pre network SSID but could not surf.....
    I followed figus' instructions and it worked on my Pre.

    When you open freeTether, NAT is already enabled by default, so be sure you didn't accidentally switch it off.

    Besides that, not sure?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    If you stay below the 5Gb mythical limit you will be fine if you start going over the mythical limit repeatedly you will get a phone call. After that sprint could and just might boot you off the network.
    this is False.... the 5GB limit is just for Sprint aircards and Mifi wireless hotspot.
    i have Mytether and use it everyday for hours at a time. Well to double check i called Sprint Care. Without saying why i wanted to know if my plan had a data limit like the air cards. He said if your on "the simply everything plan" you do not have a limit on data, Only the air cards have the 5GB limit. so i asked "sooo if i somehow used over 70 GB of data on my phone I won't be charged anything other then my regular monthly bill?" he said correct. i told him thankyou and have a nice day.
    It's both true and false, and more nuanced than the above indicates:
    • True, The Sprint plan does not have the 5GB cap.
    • False, If you go over some threshold, Sprint might sniff your traffic and see if you're tethering.

    In the past (on Treos), Sprint just complained when you went over a threshold. This led to customers like me who did not tether getting nasty letters just because I streamed radio all day and all night long. My guess is they are or will be getting at "false postitives". The "5GB" heuristic suggested that we should not go over is simply a threshold that people have noted currently does not seem to result in complaints coming back from Sprint. It's currently likely that Sprint techs might just be manually inspecting tcpdump logs from the most egregious bandwith users, and flagging violators for a phone call. Over time, as they gain experience and the number of customers to check grows, they'll likely automate the process.

    The bottom line is that the CSR likely answered your question correctly based on the information you gave them. If you asked what would the result be if you were forwarding traffic from your phone to other devices, you would likely have gotten a different answer.

    I hope the above clarifies what is likely and why. If you actually did mention tethering and still got the same answer (which violates the current terms of service) then I guess more of us will need to call and confirm that your assertion is answered consistently.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  20. #20  
    Mine stays on turning on mobile hotspot but never does anything beyond that
    Check out my Light Blue theme and if you like please hit the thanks button or even better, donate.
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions