Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    oh crap: just had a thought.

I would assume ps3 would wor just fine..and if this is the case, we are now able to bring ps3 network on mobile trips/ and outdoor activitied!

lol, but I bet the ping/lag would be horrendous
    Imagine the possibilities with a 4G (WiMax) phone rocking Mobile HotSpot!
    try 10 key.

and if wpa does not work, use wep

but for full trial, turn security OFF..see if it scans and connects
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    try 10 key.

and if wpa does not work, use wep

but for full trial, turn security OFF..see if it scans and connects
    Set security to Open and still sits with the spinning wheel and "Turning on Mobile HotSpot". Here are the 3 files installed in the WebOSQuickInstall

com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk
    us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all.ipk
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk

Question though, would I just have to install com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk or do I need all 3 ipks?
    Quote Originally Posted by aparigraba View Post
    Apparently doctoring it will fix this, but I am trying to avoid taking it to the doctor, since I will then have to do this again when 1.4 comes out : - (
    just did a full restore with doctor and it works perfectly. I had the exact same problems as you.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Appearantly Im not one of the luck ones. I keep getting this error when installing the us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk:
    I had a bunch of errors installing as well, but when I looked closely at the address bar of where it was trying to pull (b/c I changed it from when I first downloaded the files), it was pulling the incorrect directory. I moved everything back and they installed fine. Not sure how the directories got changed from when I selected "Browse" to when it tried to install, but I'm not going to ask questions since I got it to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    What version of webos quickinstall are you using/
    Quote Originally Posted by threefiftyli View Post
    just did a full restore with doctor and it works perfectly. I had the exact same problems as you.
    Looks like time to Doctor then. When you reinstalled MHS, did you install all 3 files and if so did you do one at a time with the QI? Don't want to mess up again.
    anyone else feel like it's a little slow? I'm comparing to previous versions of mytether (free only) when i was getting ~ 2mb/s download speed...with this setup i'm not getting much more than ~ 0.5 mb/s
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    I am using 2.96 too. Is there a newer version we should be using?
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Imagine the possibilities with a 4G (WiMax) phone rocking Mobile HotSpot!
    I was actually wondering if I would ever use 4G on a phone the other day... Now I know I will
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Thanks everyone! I do not typically have a need for tethering, but it is nice to be able to if needed. Easy to do also. I do notice some consistency issues though. Works great for a few minutes then times out, etc.
    kkumar: yes, it's slower than mytether, I posted about this earlier

also do you notice, yahoo.com and the like, lookups to m.yahoo.com first (and lookup mobile sites before going to full site)

I suppose that's the intent of freetether...to forward IP (works as intended)
    Anyone know the latest version of WebOSDoctor? The versoin I have is 11/16/09. Just want to make sure this will restore back to 1.3.5.1 and won't have to do a update afterwards.
    People with the "package not found" error in WebOS Quick Install... I had the same issue, on an..erm...non WebOS 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1 device

This goes for you, developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    People with the "package not found" error in WebOS Quick Install... I had the same issue, on an..erm...non WebOS 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1 device

This goes for you, developers.
    Try installing Package Manager service from the webos-internals feed. should fix the ipkg-related issue.

That particular issue seems to only affect peple who have never installed Package Manager service and/or Preware, and those who have never used a patch.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I've gotten everything to work up to the point of a connection with the hotspot. However, I don't get any internet connectivity - just a "local" connection. Mythether is disabled, freetether ip forwarding is enabled... any ideas?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I was getting sick of the issues with myTether. Hell, in the early days of the Pre, another guy figured out one line to change, where tethering was then enabled, and that worked like a charm... but I digress. This freeTether/mobile hotspot solution works like a charm. I downloaded the rar file that someone posted earlier, and in it were three files. Installed 'em using WebOS Quick Install, with the freetetherd_0.0.3.ipk being the last one (because it executes a script), it worked fine.

Oh yeah—I uninstalled the paid version of myTether first, realized afterwards that I needed to unpatch the thing (or no camera for me!), so I reinstalled it, then went into options, and disabled the WiFi patch. Phone restarted, then I deleted the app like you would delete any other app. BTW- I get the message about needing to contact Sprint, too, but I paid it no mind. Tethering still works via the HotSpot, so unless it's phoning home to Sprint, I think it's all good.

Many thanks to the hard work of the people involved.
    Worked great on a quick trial run here in my hotel room (phone is faster than the crappy free wifi here). When I used WebOS quickinstall I put all 3 files in the box at once then clicked install, i didn't mean too but thats the way it went. It worked just fine doing this by the way. Thanks to everyone working on this project!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Try installing Package Manager service from the webos-internals feed. should fix the ipkg-related issue.

That particular issue seems to only affect peple who have never installed Package Manager service and/or Preware, and those who have never used a patch.
    That's weird, because I did have the package manager. Oh well, on 1.3.5 now.

Also, I had the "limited connection" issue until I went back to automatic IP settings. I had set an IP manually for my home Wifi, but it was causing issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by figus View Post

this is what i do step by step

Install one by one with WebOS QI
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7
    us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all

Open freeTether
    Check that both options (IP Forwarding and NAT) are ENABLED

Open Mobile HotSpot
    If first time
    Set SSID
    Set Encryption Type
    Set PassPhrase
    Turn it ON

now I check with my laptop for my PRE's SSID and connect to it
    Mobile HotSpot will say that my laptop is connected to my pre
    after a few seconds... maybe 30... internet starts working on my laptop

Then I close freeTether and Mobile HotSpot....
    ----------------------------
    But if you don't activate IP Forwarding on freeTether, you'll receive an error about being unable to share your connection, contact Sprint
    I followed the instructions and it worked.... oooorrrraaahhh... Although I did get the message about contacting Sprint. Just waited for EV to come back and it connected. Speeds are not that great here at the house, but that is why I have my home WIFI connection. Should be better at work and on the road. Special thanks to everyone involved with this.
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast