Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    This is the Mobile Hotspot app provided by Verizon to the Palm Pre Plus
    I got it working. You'd think there should be a way to always keep forwarding on in the /etc/event.d for ryan*freetetherd and not have to go into the freetether app at all. Is there an argument to provide or a config file to always keep on?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    this is False.... the 5GB limit is just for Sprint aircards and Mifi wireless hotspot.
    i have Mytether and use it everyday for hours at a time. Well to double check i called Sprint Care. Without saying why i wanted to know if my plan had a data limit like the air cards. He said if your on "the simply everything plan" you do not have a limit on data, Only the air cards have the 5GB limit. so i asked "sooo if i somehow used over 70 GB of data on my phone I won't be charged anything other then my regular monthly bill?" he said correct. i told him thankyou and have a nice day.
    Buddie go right ahead and tether over 70gb and watch what happens. Yes sprint says data is unlimited for data usage on the phone we know this. And we all know about 5GB limit for air cards.

This is why I said mythical limit. Because people have gone over a mythical limit and been contacted about it by sprint in the past.

But if you think burning up 10-20GB's a month and sprint will be fine with it go ahead. Don't come back here complaining if they charge you or end your contract. It has happened in the past.
    Last edited by helidos; 01/22/2010 at 01:44 PM.
    Does the Pre retain internet access when you turn on tethering with the mifi app?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by aparigraba View Post
    Mine stays on turning on mobile hotspot but never does anything beyond that
    anybody else have this problem?
    Check out my Light Blue theme and if you like please hit the thanks button or even better, donate.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I wonder if MyTether needs to be uninstalled, and if/so what's the script for that...
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    I wonder if MyTether needs to be uninstalled, and if/so what's the script for that...
    You uninstall (the paid version of) MyTether using the same Windows installer program that you used to install it with. (I'm not sure what you do on other platforms.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    You don't need to uninstall MyTether but you do need to uninstall the MyTether patch.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I believe it's possible to modify PmNetConfigManager to permanently turn on IP forwarding similarly to this post:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1733941

Note that the post says PmConnectionManager, but that's what the file used to be called, now it's PmNetConfigManager.

I haven't tried it myself, but I believe it should make it work without needing anything else installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymacgarcia View Post
    How did you do it? I follow the same directions and I am getting the Need to contact Sprint Message. I''ve done the IP forward and NAT as explained; kept both FreeTether and Mobile Hotspot ON, connect the laptop to the Pre network SSID but could not surf.....
    Check that your phone has connection...

Sometimes on mine, when I start Mobile HotSpot my EvDO resets.... and that's when I receive the warning (when my phone is offline).... after it gets back online i can surf from my laptop... sometimes it takes about 10 seconds (10 seconds after my phone is online)

But sooometimes, not always :P
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I believe it's possible to modify PmNetConfigManager to permanently turn on IP forwarding similarly to this post:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1733941

Note that the post says PmConnectionManager, but that's what the file used to be called, now it's PmNetConfigManager.

I haven't tried it myself, but I believe it should make it work without needing anything else installed.
    EDIT: I thought This worked

Edited /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager

Changed
    Disabling IP Forwarding^@0

To
    Disabling IP Forwarding^@1

Uninstalled freeTether, rebooted phone, turned on Mobile HotSpot and everything works!

I tried to just use WebOS QI to do this, but you have to stop the PmNetConfigManager service first in order to overwrite the file. Did that through the terminal. So kind of convoluted, but it worked.
    Last edited by jp22382; 01/22/2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    This worked

Edited /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager

Changed

To

Uninstalled freeTether, rebooted phone, turned on Mobile HotSpot and everything works!

I tried to just use WebOS QI to do this, but you have to stop the PmNetConfigManager service first in order to overwrite the file. Did that through the terminal. So kind of convoluted, but it worked.
    would you kindly attach that file, or i guess PM it to me? I looked at editing that file, and didn't see any easy way to do it through vi in the terminal....
    It can't be this simple. hahaha

I can't wait to get home and try this.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    oh, i'd love a copy of the edited file too.

thanks
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    can you post that file here so I can just replace on my phone please.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    would you kindly attach that file, or i guess PM it to me? I looked at editing that file, and didn't see any easy way to do it through vi in the terminal....
    Well I'd rather not distribute Palm's code

EDIT: hmmmm something is up. now i'm unable to get any pages to load. but no errors connecting or messages about contacting sprint. Need to see what is happening.

EDIT 2: tinkered around with the 'enabling ip forwarding' value but that doesn't fix it either. might have to leave this in more capable hands...

I used WebOS Quick Install > Tools > Receive File

File location is /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    ___

Then opened the file on my desktop and edited the following and saved.

To

___

Used the Terminal app on the Pre and entered the following:

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/bin
    stop PmNetConfigManager

You should see confirmation that the service stopped.
    Leave Terminal open.
    ___

Again in WebOS Quick Install > Tools > Send File

Send the edited PmNetConfigManager from your desktop to /usr/bin/
    ___

Back in Terminal, do the following:

start PmNetConfigManager
    mount -o remount,ro /

___

That should do it.
    Last edited by jp22382; 01/22/2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aparigraba View Post
    anybody else have this problem?
    I got the same problem. Any fix?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    what did you use to edit the file?

Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Well I'd rather not distribute Palm's code

EDIT: hmmmm something is up. now i'm unable to get any pages to load. but no errors connecting or messages about contacting sprint. Need to see what is happening.

EDIT 2: tinkered around with the 'enabling ip forwarding' value but that doesn't fix it either. might have to leave this in more capable hands...

I used WebOS Quick Install > Tools > Receive File

File location is /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    ___

Then opened the file on my desktop and edited the following and saved.

To

___

Used the Terminal app on the Pre and entered the following:

mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/bin
    stop PmNetConfigManager

You should see confirmation that the service stopped.
    Leave Terminal open.
    ___

Again in WebOS Quick Install > Tools > Send File

Send the edited PmNetConfigManager from your desktop to /usr/bin/
    ___

Back in Terminal, do the following:

start PmNetConfigManager
    mount -o remount,ro /

___

That should do it.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelwix View Post
    what did you use to edit the file?
    Notepad++, but any basic text editor should do it.

Still not able to get it working completely. I can connect fine, no errors, get an ip address, but when I go to ping a site from my laptop it times out.

It does however return the ip address of the site i'm trying to ping.

Grr.

Stick with freeTether + Mobile HotSpot until someone figures out how to get this other method working.
    Last edited by jp22382; 01/22/2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    In the future, how can i uninstall these IPK files?

My expertise so far in installing patches is only for those available in preware!
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast