Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'm not too certain of that. Sprint has done nothing to stop MyTether usage thus far, and in both the MyTether and Mobile Hotspot cases, if you're using a computer, the browser's user agent would give you away anyway
    If I remember correctly, WebOS sends a list of all your installed packages to Palm on a regular basis. And, that there is a way to stop it with a patch or by modifying a file somewhere. Of course, we don't know, but I can't see Palm sharing that information with Sprint, unless it is part of their agreement.

But I think that list of installed packages would also include Mytether, and they have not tried to remotely kill that yet. I also don't think that Palm has actively tried to stop Mytether- mytether just breaks because it is dependent on the system being a certain way, which naturally changes with updates to the OS. I think the major problems with WiFi happened when they updated the WiFi module. It COULD be that they modified the WiFi module to remove certain functions to make it harder to use for tethering that way- but no such changes were made regarding bluetooth or USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille
    The linux daemon powering Mobile Hotspot has been present since 1.3.5 came out and works on Sprint devices. Chances are, if Sprint was deliberately crippling webOS wifi drivers on ALL devices just to stop MyTether, they wouldn't have gone ahead and included it in 1.3.5, nor the GSM bluetooth tethering
    My thoughts, exactly. But they still might have other things up their sleeves to detect and penalize people who tether without authorization. Thus far, only ONE person has reported something that sounds like it could POSSIBLY be an attempt to shut this down. But I am skeptical because it is only one report, and it COULD just be something he did (like accidentally turning off ip forwarding or a reset or something. Plus, I believe it is FAR to early for Palm/Sprint to react to Freetether/Mobile Hot Spot on Sprint right now, because it only just is coming to light... and this is a weekend, too.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    EDIT: with Mytether there really isn't a way to figure out if your data is being used to tether or just play on the internet on your phone. ...
    False, Sprint could sniff traffic and figure out what you are doing with any of these tethering programs, but the cost of catching everyone would be high so they'll likely only manually check users with very high amounts of data downloads. They could automate such checks but doing so would only cause a bunch of customers to get mad about not having official tethering. If people totally abuse this, you can be pretty sure in a month or so that Sprint will ask ask them stop, possibly threatening them with a bill and terminating their service (due to violations of the TOS).

... But if you install Moblie Hotspot then Sprint has a leg to stand on saying your using to much data and are tethering.
    The second solution is pretty much no different than the first in Sprint's ability to see what you are doing if they wanted to.
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/23/2010 at 08:40 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    oh crap: just had a thought.

I would assume ps3 would wor just fine..and if this is the case, we are now able to bring ps3 network on mobile trips/ and outdoor activitied!

lol, but I bet the ping/lag would be horrendous
    It works, i'm on PSN right now & downloading a update for Assassins Creek 2!

Just had to set up the connection manually.

This freether & mobile hotspot works a little faster for me than mytether & i don't have to go through hoops & ladders to get more than 1 thing connected to it!!! AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    If I remember correctly, WebOS sends a list of all your installed packages to Palm on a regular basis. ... I think that list of installed packages would also include Mytether, and they have not tried to remotely kill that yet. ...
    MyTether can be connected to your laptop via USB and you could be using WiFi as the data source on a laptop that does not have WiFi. Sprint would have no business removing such a program. [As long as any other program also allowed the same, they'd be hard pressed to remove such programs if they could use data sources other than the Pre's EvDO.]
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    If I remember correctly, WebOS sends a list of all your installed packages to Palm on a regular basis. And, that there is a way to stop it with a patch or by modifying a file somewhere. Of course, we don't know, but I can't see Palm sharing that information with Sprint, unless it is part of their agreement.

But I think that list of installed packages would also include Mytether, and they have not tried to remotely kill that yet. I also don't think that Palm has actively tried to stop Mytether- mytether just breaks because it is dependent on the system being a certain way, which naturally changes with updates to the OS. I think the major problems with WiFi happened when they updated the WiFi module. It COULD be that they modified the WiFi module to remove certain functions to make it harder to use for tethering that way- but no such changes were made regarding bluetooth or USB.

My thoughts, exactly. But they still might have other things up their sleeves to detect and penalize people who tether without authorization. Thus far, only ONE person has reported something that sounds like it could POSSIBLY be an attempt to shut this down. But I am skeptical because it is only one report, and it COULD just be something he did (like accidentally turning off ip forwarding or a reset or something. Plus, I believe it is FAR to early for Palm/Sprint to react to Freetether/Mobile Hot Spot on Sprint right now, because it only just is coming to light... and this is a weekend, too.
    it's worth noting that MyTether was the confirmed culprit of the never-ending-update issue, so Palm's obviously aware of it. And like you said, they've not tried to remotely kill it from people's devices yet. Palm is obviously both supportive of the homebrew community, and at the same time, aware that homebrew users accound for a minority; perhaps an acceptable loss given the PRPRPR $damage$ $they$'$d$ $receive$ $taking$ $a$ $pro$-$active$ $stance$ $on$ $tethering$.

Sprint/Bell/xxxxxxx-GSM-network probably have different priorities. And let's not forget there are unofficial tethering apps for android, and blackberry too. Seems to be a "tether at your own risk" kind of policy that's been adopted.

Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    MyTether can be connected to your laptop via USB and you could be using WiFi as the data source on a laptop that does not have WiFi. Sprint would have no business removing such a program. [As long as any other program also allowed the same, they'd be hard pressed to remove such programs if they could use data sources other than the Pre's EvDO.]
    Does Palm's privacy policy say they even share that kind of personal information with carriers?
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I have mine running without any problems.
    with Mytether there really isn't a way to figure out if your data is being used to tether or just play on the internet on your phone. But if you install Moblie Hotspot then Sprint has a leg to stand on saying your using to much data and are tethering.
    At first glance, I would say there is absolutely no difference (from Sprint's view) between using Mytether and using Mobile Hot Spot. They perform the identical function from a system point of view.

But what we DO NOT know is if the Mobile Hot Spot application, itself, OR the system-level daemon it uses has some type of phone-home or alert code embedded inside it. If so, then knowing if someone was using it would be extremely easy for them to detect and take action against that user.

It is highly likely that Sprint will eventually release a supported, for-pay, optional plan for tethering on WebOS devices. And they will probably use this existing (or similar) code. Logic would dictate that they will want and need some way to determine legit and non-legit use of the code, which further points to Mobile Hot Spot or the system service it uses might contain some spy code....

So I think it would be a high priority for someone to examine the code (if possible) to determine just what is in there. I wish I had the knowledge and tools to do so, myself.
    tried to edit /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager file and set "Disabling IP Forwarding^@1"
    seemed to work at first, then my EVDO connection disappeared and would not come back...

copied the original PmNetConfigManager file back and reset the Pre, EVDO came back;
    freetether is working now 800k down, 300k up with having only 2 bar signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by fhelvie View Post
    tried to edit /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager file and set "Disabling IP Forwarding^@1"
    seemed to work at first, then my EVDO connection disappeared and would not come back...

copied the original PmNetConfigManager file back and reset the Pre, EVDO came back;
    freetether is working now 800k down, 300k up with having only 2 bar signal.
    for the record, a better, cleaner alternative is http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...e-hotspot.html

Dumb question, but have you tried rebooting?
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Im getting rather sick of nobody helping me.
    I have Uninstalled Mytether.
    Installed everything perfectly.
    Followed all the steps and still cannot connect.
    I've tried on my laptop, psp, ps3, and wii.
    Please, for the last time, will somebody somehow assist me.
    I would like so much for this to work.

Everything appears to work.
    They connect to the network but cant get on the internet.
    Can somebody please help.
    My psp says dns error.
    Im not sure what could cause this to be an issue. And I've been working on this all day since this was announced. My patience is wearing incredibly thin.

Tried rebooting, fresh installs, everything.
    any clue on how to get the usb tether to work in freetether? It does not pick up an IP on the app. Just (Null). If i disable my Cable adapter I can connect to it via usb but local only Release/Renewed it and I got a Unable to connect to DHCP error. I am assuming something isnt working to push an IP....I don't want to give that up as I know alot of people with just desktops and no wifi card.....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevoreon View Post
    Im getting rather sick of nobody helping me. Please, for the last time, will somebody somehow assist me. I would like so much for this to work.
    They connect to the network but cant get on the internet.
    My patience is wearing incredibly thin.
    Probably because nobody knows what your problem is, if it is not caused by what has already been covered a dozen times already.

Like I said in a previous post- close mobilehotspot and launch freetether. If you have no IP address under WAN INFORMATION, then your freetetherd was not installed correctly and must be reinstalled using Preware or webosquickinstaller (after updating that, and it's feeds).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    I would love to get rid of MyTether and all its files. Where can I find the program that Jason made to do this? I actually didnt know one was available.
    Read a couple pages back. Using WOSQI you can remove the package using linux commandline
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    any clue on how to get the usb tether to work in freetether? It does not pick up an IP on the app. Just (Null). If i disable my Cable adapter I can connect to it via usb but local only Release/Renewed it and I got a Unable to connect to DHCP error. I am assuming something isnt working to push an IP....I don't want to give that up as I know alot of people with just desktops and no wifi card.....
    You know a lot of people with desktops and no wifi card and yet need MOBILE internet access from a phone?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    So part of the reason why I stopped working on freeTether was cause it seemed like everyone was still using myTether. If people are gonna be using freeTether seriously I will get a Trac setup for it so that i can keep trac (haha) of any bugs and feature requests
    Honestly, I like freeTether because it's amazinly easy to use (for this Mobile HotSpot). I don't know how to get it working as a regular tether off the USB though. Is there a place to learn how to do it?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    You know a lot of people with desktops and no wifi card and yet need MOBILE internet access from a phone?
    I sometimes would use it when my internet goes out for maintenance or outage.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Probably because nobody knows what your problem is, if it is not caused by what has already been covered a dozen times already.

Like I said in a previous post- close mobilehotspot and launch freetether. If you have no IP address under WAN INFORMATION, then your freetetherd was not installed correctly and must be reinstalled using Preware or webosquickinstaller (after updating that, and it's feeds).
    I do have an IP address under WAN INFORMATION.

I've done my best to insure Mytether is fully uninstalled.
    I guess I'm just not meant to have it. Ha.
    I have the need for wifi. When im at friends house's without the internet and I want to listen to a song or surf or anything at their netless homes, I like to use their micro usb cable to tether my phone to their PC. I dont fill my phone with 120gb of music...for obvious reasons....

The other day after spending 20mins looking for certain mix during one of their parties, I ended up using logmein to get to my desktop and media drive and copied it over. Was rather nice. Need USB to do that though....Better than the "man i wish i had a copy of _______________" Logmein to copy a movie was painful though and got aborted. An hour and a half for a gig.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 01/23/2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by threefiftyli View Post
    Read a couple pages back. Using WOSQI you can remove the package using linux commandline
    I have looked! If you know what page its on could you share? I dont think MyTether is whats causing my problem, but I just want it gone. I think Im just going to doctor my phone, but before I do I want to completely remove MyTether.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    I have looked! If you know what page its on could you share? I dont think MyTether is whats causing my problem, but I just want it gone. I think Im just going to doctor my phone, but before I do I want to completely remove MyTether.
    if you have the MyTether service still you are doomed.

At least I couldn't get them both to work at the same time.....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 01/23/2010 at 09:45 PM.