Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast
    Just wanted to confirm that I got this to work on O2 UK 1.3.5.2.

Only thing I had on hand to test it was a PSP, but it worked just fine. Only thing I found was I had to wait around 30seconds after connection before I actually tried to use it, or it would throw up a DNS error (think the phones signal resets when a device connects?) but worked fine to browse the web after that time, so don't give up right away if it doesn't work within seconds!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by honda07si View Post
    think sprint has already caught on to using Freetether and Moblie Hotspot?
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    No. Sprint has no way to detect or disable either.
    Sprint has had the ability to remotely kill apps installed on your device since WebOS 1.2.

Whether or not this applies to apps installed outside the official app catalog via WebOS Quick Install, Preware, or manually using the terminal app is uncertain.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    When you say doctored, you mean you used WebOS doctor and refreshed your phone to factory settings? Is there a way to just partially refresh it so i wont lose anything?
    try jasons repair program, but other than text messages you dont really lose anything else, you can move your music and pics to your computer then back, your contacts and apps from the app catalog will redownload, granted it is a pain to repatch the phone but we should all be use to doing that every other month by now
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    well i refreshed my network several times...and ive had it on for 3 minutes already and still doesnt c it...no clue wut it is then
    It took 10 minutes before I was able to get my laptop to see the internet instead of just local network.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I went through all the steps and it worked fine but when i went to try it a little bit ago, it would say connected but wouldnt be able to see the connection on my laptop!! can anyone help me with this issue or would anyone have the slightest clue as to why its not showing up on my laptop?? Thanks in advance!!
    I would love to get rid of MyTether and all its files. Where can I find the program that Jason made to do this? I actually didnt know one was available.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Sprint has had the ability to remotely kill apps installed on your device since WebOS 1.2.

Whether or not this applies to apps installed outside the official app catalog via WebOS Quick Install, Preware, or manually using the terminal app is uncertain.
    that is the exact reason why i'm on the fence with gettin the moblie hot spot app. since it's an offical app. for verizon.... which leans me to think Sprint will crack down on users using it on the sprint network and not having tethering package.

EDIT: with Mytether there really isn't a way to figure out if your data is being used to tether or just play on the internet on your phone. But if you install Moblie Hotspot then Sprint has a leg to stand on saying your using to much data and are tethering.
    I have all three parts/packages installed with the correct settings. The network shows up fine on my laptop (win vista 32bit), it connects but local access only, no internet.

I've done an uninstall, reset and reinstall with no luck. Only thing I couldn't figure out is how uninstall the service.

Any suggestions?
    open preware, go to services and delete from there
    EDIT: with Mytether there really isn't a way to figure out if your data is being used to tether or just play on the internet on your phone. But if you install Moblie Hotspot then Sprint has a leg to stand on saying your using to much data and are tethering.
    I'm not too certain of that. Sprint has done nothing to stop MyTether usage thus far, and in both the MyTether and Mobile Hotspot cases, if you're using a computer, the browser's user agent would give you away anyway

Ah and to those requesting auto-enabling of IP forwarding: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...e-hotspot.html
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    You asked how to remove the service this is the location for it. Navigate to it on your Pre and delete it.
    Dude, you rock!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    FWIW, I have found a unique use for the MHS package. With or without freeTether, MHS still turns on the Pre's wifi adapter in AP mode, and starts up a DHCP server to hand out IP addresses to connecting wifi devices. For someone who doesn't have a wifi AP or has one that doesn't do inter-client repeating, MHS allows us to connect to the Pre via wifi to do things like ssh to the phone. If freeTether isn't setting ipforwarding, MHS is not breaking Sprint's ToS! The Pre's MHS IP address is 10.1.1.11, if anyone wants to have a chat with their own phone.

If anybody from Palm's programming staff happens to be reading this, there appears to be an annoying bug in the MHS code where it tracks connected clients for display through the WebOS interface. Specifically, it seems to get confused about the connection status of a client, saying that it disconnected when in reality it just connected. The connection works properly, but the client isn't shown in the MHS app as being connected, and MHS pops an alert saying that the client disconnected when it really is connecting. The problem may have been triggered by changing from open mode to WPA2 mode with MHS turned on, if that helps.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'm not too certain of that. Sprint has done nothing to stop MyTether usage thus far, and in both the MyTether and Mobile Hotspot cases, if you're using a computer, the browser's user agent would give you away anyway

Ah and to those requesting auto-enabling of IP forwarding: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...e-hotspot.html
    eh i see your point there but i believe sprint has tried to mess with Mytether.... since the updates and the wifi patch and all that crap to make it work
    eh i see your point there but i believe sprint has tried to mess with Mytether.... since the updates and the wifi patch and all that crap to make it work
    The linux daemon powering Mobile Hotspot has been present since 1.3.5 came out and works on Sprint devices. Chances are, if Sprint was deliberately crippling webOS wifi drivers on ALL devices just to stop MyTether, they wouldn't have gone ahead and included it in 1.3.5, nor the GSM bluetooth tethering

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

The linux daemon powering Mobile Hotspot has been present since 1.3.5 came out and works on Sprint devices. Chances are, if Sprint was deliberately crippling webOS wifi drivers on ALL devices just to stop MyTether, they wouldn't have gone ahead and included it in 1.3.5, nor the GSM bluetooth tethering
    ahhhh i see now lol once again i learn something new everyday haha
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Can anyone help me yet?
    Im having problems with connection. DNS errors.
    Im assuming that's equivilant to the "local only" problems people are talking about.

Help would be soooo appreciated.
    on my wifi wireless card I use opendns...

give that a try

https://store.opendns.com/setup/computer/
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    So part of the reason why I stopped working on freeTether was cause it seemed like everyone was still using myTether.
    Well, up until now, nobody had any choice or alternative

If people are gonna be using freeTether seriously I will get a Trac setup for it so that i can keep trac (haha) of any bugs and feature requests
    I suspect that people are already using it seriously. I, for one, think you absolutely should set it up as a lasting thing. The only real question on everyone's minds right now is if it will continue to work or can/will Sprint or Palm move to stop it.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!

Thanks for the patch!!!

Also, dumb question...Aren't these phones set up to proxy through Sprint servers?

If so, wouldn't Sprint certainly catch us if they really saw fit to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Thanks for the patch!!!

Also, dumb question...Aren't these phones set up to proxy through Sprint servers?

If so, wouldn't Sprint certainly catch us if they really saw fit to do so?

Alas, that's one of the risks of tethering. I personally don't tether (though that's mainly as my device doesn't have an active phone connection, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Looking at the patch, it looks like the source of this forum thread, not a patch. Or am I misssing something?
    Not sure what you're lookin at, but it's most definitely a standard unified diff-style patch