Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorchard View Post
    For what it's worth, it looks like this Mobile Hotspot app is just a controller for a system service that's already on the device since the 1.3.5 update. Here's hoping Sprint doesn't mandate an update from Palm that removes the service! I don't want to download torrents or watch movies, but getting some basic net access from my laptop occasionally would be nice.

And that service package, by the way, appears to consist of these two files on the device:

/etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd
    /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd

That might be useful for someone at some point
    yepper. As my front page article described, the Mobile Hotspot app was only 1 of 3 ipks in the installer. The other 2 were an update to mobilehotspotd and an update to pmnetconfigmanager. Initial reports came back mixed, with some saying it broke tethering if they were installed too.

It's possible those updates restrict Mobile Hotspot to Verizon devices and they may very well be in a future OTA for all. On the other hand, those updates could just be verizon specific fixes as sprint devices were probably used for testing while the verizon plus models were being produced.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Loaded this up and all worked as expected, connected laptop over wifi to the Pre and then connected to the Internet on he laptop and opened up a wedpage - just to see if it would work. Within an hour, I got a notification on my Pre from Sprint: "Authorization Error. Your service account does not allow Internet connection sharing. Contact Sprint for help."
    I believe that error is sent out when using Mobile Hotspot with IP Forwarding disabled. Can't be sure though; interesting find

To those getting the WebOS Quick install error shown here, this is an error that is thrown when the webOS tries to install an ipk of an unknown architecture. Both WebOS Quick Install and Preware setup the arch.conf file if none exists, so it's really quite odd to see that error.

My current advice would be to clear browser cache and redownload current WOSQI and retry installing.

Myself, it installed fine on my Sprint 1.3.5.1 Pre with WebOS Quick Install

Quote Originally Posted by pixelwix View Post
    is there a way for a someone to make a patch or a service that will have ipforwarding up on startup?
    It's certainly possible to patch Mobile Hotspot app to call freeTetherD to enable IP Forwarding automatically. Though if you have that install, why not just keep freeTether. freeTether itself is quite good and fills in the tether holes of bluetooth and usb tethering that Mobile Hotspot is missing
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by figus View Post
    This is what I did

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Install all 3 packages..., and activate IP Forwarding on freeTether (I have to do this every reboot)
    Open Mobile HotSpot, set your SSID, Encryption and Key, and turn it on

you can close everything, MHS works in the background

some guy said that his Telcel Pre tethered just with mobile hotspot... so.. maybe you can try only with that at first.... (I use Sprint pre and I have to use both)
    I have freetether installed. Is it needed for this to work? Should I uninstall it before installing these 3 ipks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    freeTether itself is quite good and fills in the tether holes of bluetooth and usb tethering that Mobile Hotspot is missing
    How do we get freeTether to work via USB? I imagine it requires usbnet right?
    My "Auth Error" popped up as soon as I loaded the first page.

Did a few speed test, (didn't go back through the thread to see if it's been mentioned):
    227mps with encryption, 876mps without.
    A few more test suggests same results, encryption is slowing the connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by threefiftyli View Post
    How do we get freeTether to work via USB? I imagine it requires usbnet right?
    you'd need to ask the guys who designed it @ webos-internals. My pre doesn't have a phone connection so I've never tried, just going off what I've been told of freetether
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    So.... I am the developer for freeTether. I am glad people are finding it useful. It was sorta a quick proof of concept that i whipped up real quick and haven't finished. I will try and get a new version out asap and into the webos-internals feed. Come find me in #webos-internals if you have comments/feature requests.

-Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    So.... I am the developer for freeTether. I am glad people are finding it useful. It was sorta a quick proof of concept that i whipped up real quick and haven't finished. I will try and get a new version out asap and into the webos-internals feed. Come find me in #webos-internals if you have comments/feature requests.

-Ryan

Is there a way to have freetetherd startup with ipforwarding turn on? is there an argument to pass into freetetherd or a config file to set ipforwarding always on? would like to add to upstart in /etc/event.d
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post

It's certainly possible to patch Mobile Hotspot app to call freeTetherD to enable IP Forwarding automatically. Though if you have that install, why not just keep freeTether. freeTether itself is quite good and fills in the tether holes of bluetooth and usb tethering that Mobile Hotspot is missing
    i don't mind having it installed but for some of my friends that might only use the mobile hotspot and have no need for freetethers's bluetooth or usb options this might be an esay way for them.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by figus View Post
    something about contacting sprint???

this is what i do step by step

Install one by one with WebOS QI
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7
    us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all

Open freeTether
    Check that both options (IP Forwarding and NAT) are ENABLED

Open Mobile HotSpot
    If first time
    Set SSID
    Set Encryption Type
    Set PassPhrase
    Turn it ON

now I check with my laptop for my PRE's SSID and connect to it
    Mobile HotSpot will say that my laptop is connected to my pre
    after a few seconds... maybe 30... internet starts working on my laptop

Then I close freeTether and Mobile HotSpot....
    ----------------------------
    But if you don't activate IP Forwarding on freeTether, you'll receive an error about being unable to share your connection, contact Sprint

If you get the contact sprint error... just ignore it
    Possible solutions for those who can connect to the Pre but can't access Internet

1. Check again in freeTether that BOTH, IP Forwarding and NAT are ENABLED
    2. Check that EV is shown on the Pre, sometimes (for me always) the radio resets and I hav e to wait
    3. Try and use Repair Connection option from Windows (right click on the Wireless Icon in the Notificaction area (Next to the clock in the taskbar) and select whatever is similar to Repair Connection)
    4. Wait a little (max 1 min)... keep trying to access Google, and keep checking that EV is shown on the Pre
    This worked flawlessly....and I'm running on a Bell Mobility Pre with 1.3.5.1.

THANK YOU!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Is there a way to have freetetherd startup with ipforwarding turn on? is there an argument to pass into freetetherd or a config file to set ipforwarding always on? would like to add to upstart in /etc/event.d
    yeah that is easy
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    For those not monitoring the comments on the article, this was just posted by "agrais":
    Loaded this up and all worked as expected, connected laptop over wifi to the Pre and then connected to the Internet on he laptop and opened up a wedpage - just to see if it would work. Within an hour, I got a notification on my Pre from Sprint: "Authorization Error. Your service account does not allow Internet connection sharing. Contact Sprint for help."

Sprint website shows a couple of phones (including Palm Treo 800w) that can be used as a modem, but indicates that "A separate Phone as Modem service plan is required in order to use this device as a modem." I have the Everything Data plan, so it looks like Sprint is on to this already - and not going to allow it.
    has anyone else ran into this problem?.... reason why i ask is i have Mytether and it works fine other then the wifi patch but it's manageable.... i was going to install with this new Freetether and Mobile Hotspot app. when i get home tonight.... but i usually tether for a over a hour at night.... i don't want to go through the hassel of doing all of this if that message pops up..... my Mytether 2.0.4 hasn't had any notifications from sprint pop up and i've used it for 3 hours one night downloading some stuff for school.
    So part of the reason why I stopped working on freeTether was cause it seemed like everyone was still using myTether. If people are gonna be using freeTether seriously I will get a Trac setup for it so that i can keep trac (haha) of any bugs and feature requests
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    So part of the reason why I stopped working on freeTether was cause it seemed like everyone was still using myTether. If people are gonna be using freeTether seriously I will get a Trac setup for it so that i can keep trac (haha) of any bugs and feature requests
    if you can make freetether work alone for wifi tethering without Mobile Hotspot and not have any patches that mess up the phone. I'd drop Mytether and even pay a reasonable price for freetether (even though that would defeat the name) haha
    I used mytether since it was first developed and it worked well until we had to start patch restarting etc.. This one installs and works fine and having the wpa ability is great. I think you will see a lot of people that use freeTether.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    While it's not as fast as my regular WiFi network here at home, it's still nice to see it in true action.
    Were you expecting it to be as fast as your home WiFi?
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    I am one of many it seems that can get everything installed correctly, but then when I turn on the mobile hot spot it just sits and spins indefinitely. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times. Cannot get it to work. I do not have the Mytether patch installed either ( on a side note cannot remove Mytether today for some reason, just wont leave my phone).

Any ideas on how to get me up and running?

edit: Computer never recognizes the SSID either, and yes I have IP forwarding on and NAT as well.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    oh crap: just had a thought.

I would assume ps3 would wor just fine..and if this is the case, we are now able to bring ps3 network on mobile trips/ and outdoor activitied!

lol, but I bet the ping/lag would be horrendous
    Try out pingtest.net from a laptop using the Wifi hotspot. It will give you info on latency, stability and integrity (or as pingtest.net calls it, ping, jitter and packet loss respectively).
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    have you ever had the patch from mytether installed, i know some people had installed it in the past and it doesn't completely remove everything it did, jason had good instructions for getting rid of mytether
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    I am one of many it seems that can get everything installed correctly, but then when I turn on the mobile hot spot it just sits and spins indefinitely. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times. Cannot get it to work. I do not have the Mytether patch installed either ( on a side note cannot remove Mytether today for some reason, just wont leave my phone).

Any ideas on how to get me up and running?

edit: Computer never recognizes the SSID either, and yes I have IP forwarding on and NAT as well.
    I had the same issue with MHS spining indefinitely. I doctored today and it fixed it
    When you say doctored, you mean you used WebOS doctor and refreshed your phone to factory settings? Is there a way to just partially refresh it so i wont lose anything?
    Last edited by TheIowaKid; 01/23/2010 at 07:26 PM.