Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been seeing a whole bunch of threads around for removing the top bar or changing the color of the top bar, but when i look inside the threads i cant find an actual patch to make thew bar translucent. All the patches I find change the color of the top bar. So...I am posting this thread in the belief that maybe I missed something. If anyone could send me a link or post the patch that makes the top bar Translucent I would be appreciated. Again, I dont want to change the bar to any color, I just want to change the Opacity of the bar to near 0 or 0 itself. Thanks!!!

Great work Patchers!!!!!

-Jay
  2.    #2  
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by darkheart777; 01/21/2010 at 09:35 PM.
  3.    #3  
    anything?
    I don't believe a patch is possible. There is nothing behind the top bar, so making it transparent won't do what you're asking.

Though it is possible to fake transparency using a scrim patch and an image that replicates the top of your background wallpaper. There is a perfect example of a theme that did this...http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...26-motion.html
    The top bar is Black and DOES NOT overlay the wallpaper so transparency will do nothing!

I can help you if you want a specific color top bar w/ a custom patch but the transparency thing is a no go!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

What about auto hide the top bar?
  7.    #7  
    Ok lets take a sec to think about this logically. All the patches you have come up with so far are great and deserve major kudos...however, What if You could extend the wallpaper to cover the whole screen...I mean think about it, whats behind the top bar? Nothing right...so that is just space waiting to be used right? So what if you make the top bar translucent and extend the wallpaper to cover where the top bar would be. See what I am saying? I mean, does it matter whether that space is designated for a top bar? Stretching wallpaper to cover that area and then making the bar itself translucent or reduce the opacity to 0 would solve the issue would it not?

Just putting this out there...after all, we all are a community of Pre owners looking to improve the Pre experience...
    Not saying its not a god Idea, Im saying Ive looked at this extensively and Im unable to figure this out....Maybe theres somebody out there that can. Im pretty sure it cant be done....hopefully Im wrong!

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

when I was creating wallpapers for the pre, I noticed that the top part of the image is always cut off. Try comparing an image that's exactly 320 x 480 with what that image looks like when it's used as a wallpaper with the top bar present. It does in fact look like the top bar is covering the top 20px or so of the image.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    when I was creating wallpapers for the pre, I noticed that the top part of the image is always cut off. Try comparing an image that's exactly 320 x 480 with what that image looks like when it's used as a wallpaper with the top bar present. It does in fact look like the top bar is covering the top 20px or so of the image.
    So what are you saying then??? If I am reading this correctly, you are saying if we remove the top bar somehow, the wallpaper would be underneath....is that what you are saying?
    The wallpaper is still behind the bar and not cut off.
    You can start a fullscreen app and in the moment it starts the top bar slides out of the screen revealing the wallpaper behind it.

in the /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css there is the Topbar set to black. You can set every colour but for transparent it appears white (just like there is nothing behind)

So I don't know where to get this transparent.. I've not much experience.

but I defenitly think it's possible.
  12.    #12  
    OK so lets see what we have so far...

1. It is apparent from the above that the top bar is just an overlay on the screen. This is good!
    2. The wallpaper can be stretched behind the top bar.

So all we need is to develop a way to either
    A. Remove the top bar completely or
    B. make the sucker translucent or bring the opacity to 0!

NICE WORK DETECTIVES! Now all we need is those engineer's to devise the patch!

Can we get you guys interested??? Hmmmmm????
    I have attempted to remove it completely and all I can get it to do is go white w/ no icons at all.

I have even gone so far as to delete the whole .css and the same thing happens, white bar w/ no icons.

I feel pretty comfortable stating its more than likely hard coded like the launcher icon and is not possible.....Right now. Maybe in future updates we will get the necessary access.

Follow the link below.

idk what the css looks like but there is a way to specify color in rgba format (where the a stands for alpha). maybe that might work?

as for your earlier question...i'll do some tests when I get home to confirm whether the top bar is or is not covering up the wallpaper. i'm about 99.9% sure it is, but i'll do a test to know for sure.
    ugh, even messing around with bar-scene.html in /app/views just leaves you with a stupid white space as well ... this is annoying, can't tell where the division of the wallpaper scene is coming from - ie what determines how high the top bar and notification area is, if it's not in the files we've just looked at.
    Last edited by tarirene; 01/23/2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: nvm on the attachment
  16.    #16  
    I appreciate the effort you all are putting into this. You make me happy to be a member of Precentral...
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    ugh, even messing around with bar-scene.html in /app/views just leaves you with a stupid white space as well ... this is annoying, can't tell where the division of the wallpaper scene is coming from - ie what determines how high the top bar and notification area is, if it's not in the files we've just looked at.
    is the top bar's color specified using a hex? can you try specifying the color using rgba instead?

also, i just did a test and can confirm that the top bar is exactly 28px tall and covers the image. where's it's controlled i don't know, but i am certain now that the image being used for the background is NOT being squished.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkheart777 View Post
    OK so lets see what we have so far...

1. It is apparent from the above that the top bar is just an overlay on the screen. This is good!
    2. The wallpaper can be stretched behind the top bar.

So all we need is to develop a way to either
    A. Remove the top bar completely or
    B. make the sucker translucent or bring the opacity to 0!

NICE WORK DETECTIVES! Now all we need is those engineer's to devise the patch!

Can we get you guys interested??? Hmmmmm????
    I'm no expert, but from what I see there is no actual overlap in the current coding. I actually tried changing the opacity to 0, and there is nothing behind the top bar. Stretching the wallpaper to occupy that space and to make the bar translucent is rather not as easy as it sounds.

There's much simpler way of mimicking this effect. By using the scrim top bar patch, you can simply replace the background of the top bar with the portion of the wallpaper that it is covering. This wil create a pseudo translucent effect.

Again, I'll point you to a theme that does exactly this and came out with great results.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...26-motion.html
    I've searched the luna folder by the keyword "white" and found two more .css where something is set to white (for example the pseudocard)
    I tried replacing it with transparent on each but still white.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzader View Post
    I'm no expert, but from what I see there is no actual overlap in the current coding. I actually tried changing the opacity to 0, and there is nothing behind the top bar. Stretching the wallpaper to occupy that space and to make the bar translucent is rather not as easy as it sounds.

There's much simpler way of mimicking this effect. By using the scrim top bar patch, you can simply replace the background of the top bar with the portion of the wallpaper that it is covering. This wil create a pseudo translucent effect.

Again, I'll point you to a theme that does exactly this and came out with great results.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...26-motion.html
    The problem is...I have tried that and it not only failed at installing, but it screwed up my Pre...I am thinking that this patch is not up to date...its not 1.3.5.1 compatible. Thats why I am continuing this thread. Plus...look at the work everyone is doing in here...we are acually gaining ground! There is a solution out there to this issue...Good work peeps!

Cruzader...can you work with virox and un-designer on how you changed the opacity to 0? I think you all are on to something. Un-designer has found a way to look behind the bar and see the wallpaper and you have found a way to change the opacity to 0. I would say that is EXACTLY what I am trying to do...so If you guys can put it all together...BAM...we got a "translucent top bar"

Now I know its not as easy as it sounds...and God I wish I was a developer but Im just a Sociologist...
    Last edited by darkheart777; 01/24/2010 at 08:17 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast