Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is a patch that really is a must for me.

I know a lot of people like having music have volume even when the ringer is set off. Not me. I also don't like how games can make sound with the ringer switch off.

So here's this patch. When the ringer switch is flicked off, it'll mute everything, system sounds, ringtone, music, games, everything. And conversely, flicking it back on will unmute everything.

Enjoy

EDIT: File removed. Updated version here
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 01/14/2010 at 04:06 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    This is a patch that really is a must for me.

I know a lot of people like having music have volume even when the ringer is set off. Not me. I also don't like how games can make sound with the ringer switch off.

So here's this patch. When the ringer switch is flicked off, it'll mute everything, system sounds, ringtone, music, games, everything. And conversely, flicking it back on will unmute everything.

Enjoy
    been waiting for this...thanks jay!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    An absolute life saver. Thanks Jason!
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
    very cool, I've noticed this when I have it on mute at work of course... ugh

it won't 'ring' but I can play the ringtone anyways... nice work
    Hey jason, not to hijack the thread but I wonder if there is any chance of you looking at the no alert while on a call patch? The one that mutes the text msg sounds etc when on a call.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Hey jason, not to hijack the thread but I wonder if there is any chance of you looking at the no alert while on a call patch? The one that mutes the text msg sounds etc when on a call.
    no idea where to start on that one and I'd have no way to test, my Pre is development work only and has no phone connection

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

oh ok thanks that sound is so annoying when on a call and 1.3.5 broke it.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Ok so how is the ringer switch to off? When i slide the button on top of the Pre it goes into Vibrate. is that how it suppose to be?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by meCka View Post
    Ok so how is the ringer switch to off? When i slide the button on top of the Pre it goes into Vibrate. is that how it suppose to be?
    Sliding the top switch to the left is on-position, sliding it to the right is off.

In Sounds & Alerts app, you can switch between mute or mute with vibrate.

This patch makes the mute part completely effective, silencing all parts of the webOS
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 01/14/2010 at 12:00 AM.

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Ahhh, finally ... true silence!
    Thank you so much! This was the last thing I needed to really enjoy using my Pre.

I have no idea why Palm decided to change the default operation of the ringer switch from every other phone they've made, but it was definitely bad choice.

Edit: There's just one thing that would make this patch absolutely perfect. Is there anyway to detect when headphones are plugged in? If you have headphones on with the ringer switch in the off position, everything stays muted. It'd be amazing if your patch could restore the previous sound levels when it detects headphones and then mute it again if the headphones are removed and the switch is still in the off position.

Edit 2:
    Looks like you can poll /sys/devices/platform/headset-detect/headset_detect to figure out if the headset is plugged in or not. I'm not sure how to force a function to be called when it's plugged in though.

Edit 3:

Well that was a crash course in luna! Figured out how to modify your function to respond when the ringer switch or headset jack updates. Being that com.palm.audio/media/status already has the ringer switch information in it, why did you also listen for the .keys/switches service? Can't you just subscribe to audio/media/status and use that to call your functions?

Here's my modified patch. I removed the subscription to com.palm.keys/switches and it still works as expected. If this is wrong, please let me know! If somebody else wants to try this version, you might want to wait until Jason has a chance to look at it.

I just noticed that this will fail to work if your headset has a microphone. I'll fix that tomorrow.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tdps2; 01/14/2010 at 04:28 AM.
    hey jason for some reason i get an ipkg error when installing ur patch....no idea which other patches i have r conflicting with it...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Thank you for this one.
    Apparently this isn't compatible with... some other patch. Not sure which yet, but it fails to install for me.
    I'm with Maxima and dirtygreek. Won't install for me.
    Any chance of a variant on this that mutes everything except alarms? I've been screwed in the past by forgetting to unmute alarms, not to mention that it's nice to not be woken up by calls/messages, but still have the alarm wake me up on time. But I would, conversely, love for games to obey the mute switch :-)

--A
    how does this patch effect the alarm? I hate that games started playing music as they use to mute with the switch. but i need my daily alarm to go off in the mornings.
    I also received an IKPG error when trying to install through Preware.

However, I was able to install the patch through WOSQI.
    Last edited by xanthinealkaloid; 01/14/2010 at 09:29 AM.
    Does this also silence the phone itself when the switch is off? I'd still like to be able to hear a phone call if I do answer one (after noticing the vibration).

This reminds me of a patch/app I've been wanting for a long time, creating a dashboard that automatically opens when the ringer switch is muted (so I remember to unmute it later) and automatically closes when the switch is back on.
    I'm getting an error when trying to install through Preware:

Code:
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/lune-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs
    $Hunk$ #$1$ $FAILED$ $at$ $2891$.
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $FAILED$
    I have 27 patches installed, so it is probably conflicting with one of those but I don't know which one(s). What type of patches would interfere with this patch?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast