Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    The preware patch that adds a dictionary to the pre is excellent, however it has a few mistakes and personally I needed it changed. Here are some instructions on how to edit the dictionary as you please.

I got the patch file from the webos-internals feed from Gitorious (attached here)

It is necessary to download a better text editor than the notepad which comes with windows. I use Notepad ++.

Open the mojo-3000-autoreplace-words.patch in Notepad++ and make adjustments as needed.

To install: Make sure you have uninstalled the preware patch, open webosquickinstall and drop the patch in the install box. (You might get an error, I did, but it still successfully installed, with my changes).

I also believe that you need a full reboot (as opposed to the luna-restart that webosquickinstall will force after you apply the patch). Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by knickrox13; 01/13/2010 at 08:24 AM.
    NY Giants fan?

Check out my Facebook Group! - Big Blue (NY Giants) which just passed 11,000 members
    and newly formed Fan Page
  2.    #2  
    I'll start this off by stating the adjustments I have made (basically, just deleted the lines with these corrections).

+noon|moon
    +dan|fan
    +yo|to
    +****|shot

^ the last one changes the profanity, s-h-i-t to shot: the forum blocked the word out.
    NY Giants fan?

Check out my Facebook Group! - Big Blue (NY Giants) which just passed 11,000 members
  3.    #3  
    Upon further review, Preware doesn't understand that the patch is installed, although it correctly did. To make edits after your initial one (as described in the first post), you can directly change the file. Open webosquickinstall.
    Tools > Receive file
    Code:
    /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace
    Open this file in Notepad++ (described in the first post). Make edits.
    Preware: Tools > Send file
    Search for the place that you saved text-edit-autoreplace
    Put this in the following folder
    Code:
    /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/
    Reboot phone.
    NY Giants fan?

nice, thank you
    so hom much did you change. i had a hard time with this patch when i would go to update my facebook or send a quick text they would be all goofed up. especially with shorten words like trying to say tom instead of tomorrow. or the work un chanced to in and countless others
    didn't get the error until i used the editor notepad++
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    didn't get the error until i used the editor notepad++
    did it work though?
    NY Giants fan?

Another one to change/remove is +coats|costs
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks TIWizard
    NY Giants fan?

Knickrox13 you are awesome! I received the file and began editing the corrections to add all the Blackberry autocorrect edits and some others that I like (ilu=I love you). What I love the most is that this way of receiving, editing, then returning the file is simply adding to/editing the already existing correct file in WebOs. I do want to add however, that you need to save the edited text document via file>save NOT "save as". If you save as, then you will save a text document, not a file and when you go to import to your phone it just imports a text document and changes nothing. Because of this, it would be wise to make a copy of the original file just in case you want to revert back to the original without doctoring. Also, I attached my edited version (in text file) that you can all take and copy/paste over the original text then save (opening the original file in notepad++ first, of course). I spent a while adding all the Blackberry edits and would love to save others time by sharing it as I feel it has some really great intuitive edits. I didn't even bother with the Google edits as they are all messed up (imo), and I really liked the Blackberry autotext edits I had with my previous phone. Only thing missing is the blackberry case sensitive and % value edits (ex: mynumber = %p) as they are not supported in WebOs. There are 2552 edits total as opposed to the original 2480. Quality over quantity is better here I think. I am going to keep a memo of new edits I want to make so I can add them periodically because it is so easy to do with WebOsQuickInstall. What a great community this is! And what a great phone!
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the upload fidelity! For your information...you can do a save as...under one condition.

File-Save As...
    Click the dropdown list at the bottom, All file types. Then make sure the file name is simply text-edit-autoreplace (Without .txt or any other .xxx). Done.
    NY Giants fan?

Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    did it work though?
    did as you said in the second post and worked great. i think there is still a few things to fix. like ate=arm. if i could just get all the real words to stay real word and not change to other words.
    some more to fix

dan=fan, dare=date, dares=dates, tom=tim, Dale=sale, cone=come, chop=chip, camo=camp, bust=busy, brat=beat, bet=net, ban=van, avid=acid, tide=ride, tight=right, tan=ran, suv=sue, rum=run, rude=ride, rub=run, rip=tip, rim=tim, dirt=diet, dish=fish, dig=dog

I don't have time to go through them all but this is not fixed.
    Last edited by drewjohn; 01/14/2010 at 09:02 AM.
    Great! I had so many issues with this patch I dumped it.

Two quick questions:

1. What role do the "+," and stuff like:

--- a/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace 2009-12-13 22:24:09.542142924 -0600
    +++ b/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace 2009-12-13 22:24:36.523173698 -0600
    @@ -1,30 +1,291 @@

play in the file? FidelitySyndrom's file does not have these and I noticed some lines from the original file are missing the "+,"

2. What if there are duplicates? Say I past FidelitySyndrom's list into the original file and save it? There are bound to be a lot of dupes...

Thanks!
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
  15.    #15  
    FidelitySyndrom's list is 99% the same, I actually took 15 minutes to copy over the differences due to not wanting to lose my initial changes.

The --- a/etc/palm/autoreplace...blah blah is the work that the PATCH file is doing, which you would first install by dragging and dropping through webosquickinstall (post 1)

However, after making modifications, I found it easier to directly edit the text-edit-autoreplace file within webos (see post 3).

On FidelitySyndrom's post - if you would rather use his list, you would have to save it to your computer from the link in his post, open it [called text-edit-autoreplace (text document).txt]...and resave it as text-edit-autoreplace (WITHOUT .txt) - (post 11 for instructions)
    NY Giants fan?

i just replace like 30+ mistakes. If anyone would like to take this file a review it further. It would really help everyone out.

I wish someone could spell check it and erase the words that are correct words being changed to other words. i can't because there is not spaces between the words.
    i'm still working on updating this file. didn't have much time today. i've removed about 50 mis-replaced words so far.
    I've been using auto replace for awhile. Switched to the 3k wordlist and have been refining it for awhile.
    This thread had more than I knew about. By the time we're finished it'll be a 1k wordlist (:
    Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    Switched to the 3k wordlist and have been refining it for awhile.
    This thread had more than I knew about. By the time we're finished it'll be a 1k wordlist (:
    HA! You're not kidding.

Well, if anyone feels like cross-referencing and compiling our edit lists, here is my list of 175 words that the 3k Google list gets wrong. And I know there are tons more. Would be great to combine and get a good edited list down.

Sorry, but my list isn't alphabetized. There are also just a couple I took out because they conflicted with some of my shortcuts. eg, I took out sd|ad because I use sd|said now and ss|as is ss| now.

I can also post my list of shortcuts if anyone is interested.

Thanks again, knickrox13
    I want to clarify that my modifications were simply additions to the NATIVE Pre text editor adding whatever the Blackberry autotext had that Pre doesn't (and a little more). There are several slang words that Palm doesn't even bother with adding apostrophes to (like kinda' and gonna'), and several shortcut acronyms that speed up typing (like ttyl|talk to you later). I tried to edit the patch first but got an error. I would have attempted to find the source of the error, but found it easier to just follow Knickrox third post in this thread that instructs how to edit the phone's file NOT the patch. The patch has many more edits, but looking down the list I see that they are mostly correction edits for spelling or typos. I find these useful but palm already has several on the phone and they are more intuitive to the key layout of the Pre. And Homie, to answer your question, the + signs are missing from my file because the + signs are only in the patch. Palm does not use this in their format. You will notice when you receive the "/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace" file in webos install, and open it in notepad++. Also, thanks knockrox13 for the file saving tip. I would have attached the file but the forum kept asking for a file type, which I wasn't sure of, so I used the .txt file instead. I HIGHLY recommend using this method instead of the patch. Palm has near 2500 useful edits and my edit adds about 100 more and you are all free to continue the list. (note* I have kept the list in alphabetical order for easy reference). An app that allowed for editing on the phone would be awesome, but this is a great compromise.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast