Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    As I'm sure you guys have noticed, 1.4 reset the WebOS dictionary to factory. Before I go into WOSQI and update the dictionary with my custom one, has anyone verified that /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/ is still the right place to put it?

Thanks in advance..
    yep. just uploaded my file yesterday and all my autoreplace words are back.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    yep. just uploaded my file yesterday and all my autoreplace words are back.
    excellent! thanks for the verification
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    post #34 is my latest file.
    drewjohn, do you have a list of the words you removed from the 3k list? how many did you remove?
    I'm having a large problem with this patch not installing at all. Could it be that I'm using WebOS 1.4? I keep getting this error:

Tomorrow I'll be me again...
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    drewjohn, do you have a list of the words you removed from the 3k list? how many did you remove?
    no i didn't take the time to copy them down. took too long just to seach through the list. i would say i removed 100+
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRQTekt View Post
    I'm having a large problem with this patch not installing at all. Could it be that I'm using WebOS 1.4? I keep getting this error:

i'm not sure what that is. i have my autoreplace back using 1.4. do you have a conflicting patch like the normal 3000 autoreplace or the 100 extra. maybe someone else knows better than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    no i didn't take the time to copy them down. took too long just to seach through the list. i would say i removed 100+
    Gotcha. Yeah, had wanted to compile our delete lists to make a definitive auto-replace list with no mess-ups.

I've actually removed well over 300 bad entries from the 3k list so far, so hopefully got the ones you plucked out, too. Will post my final cleaned up auto-replace dictionary when I think I've gotten them all out... (or close to it).
    Does anyone know why some entries are blue and others are black? I'm using Notepad++ btw.
    Tomorrow I'll be me again...
    Left a similar request for help up front, since I'm not sure if the problem is QI, or the Auto-replace file itself (which seems to be working properly in its 'factory' condition):

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...error-8-a.html

I am trying to add some of my own changes to the text-edit-autoreplace file in WebOS 1.4. I thought I did all my research on the topic, including testing the Auto Correct Edit app and looking at the 3000 Google words patch, etc. Ultimately I decided to simply make my own changes to the original file, as explained here.

But ---> I cannot get Quick Install to actually receive the file from my Pre for editing. When I try, i get "Error 8 - file open failed"

I did have the "100 More Autoreplace" patch installed, and have removed it via QI (had errors from Preware).

I have removed all of the other auto-edit apps and patches, and have been able to remove and install a variety of other (unrelated) patches using QI. I am able to see all installed patches and apps through QI. Essentially, everything else seems to be working fine.

I am using QI 3.02. I have turned Dev Mode off then on again. Nothing solves the problem.
    OK, the "Error 8" problem from above was solved, thanks to ChemEgr, who suggested I ignore the error and acquire the file from an alternate source. After 'send' the file transfer now works successfully through QI.

I am even able to 'receive' the file through QI now as well.
    just wanted to add a few other entries I've removed ... (some are mentioned above already)

bog|big
    bot|not (OK abbreviation)
    cab|can
    char|chat
    charges|charged
    chins|China
    cols|cold (OK with abbreviation)
    cooling|cooking
    deaf|dead
    decides|decided
    decode|decide
    decoded|decided
    deed|feed
    deem|seem
    dense|sense
    dew|few
    dorm|form
    drunk|drink
    duet|diet
    dull|full
    dusk|disk
    eater|water
    earning|warning
    fir|for
    flay|flat
    foal|goal (horses!)
    foes|does
    foods|goods
    fore|fire
    framed|frames
    fray|gray
    fred|free
    funder|finder (non-profits FTW!)
    gall|fall
    goof|good
    jot|hot
    kin|Kim
    lob|lib
    lobe|love
    lynch|lunch
    marry|Marty
    marv|marc (I know a guy)
    mats|mars
    mature|nature
    md|ms (?)
    mice|nice
    mins|mind (I abbreviate minutes a lot I guess)
    mote|more
    muni|mini (municipal abbreviated)
    muss|miss
    neatly|nearly
    nee|new (new names ;-P)
    nerds|needs
    nix|mix
    nook|book
    noose|noise
    noon|moon
    notes|noted
    npr|nor (National Public Radio)
    oar|par
    onside|inside (soccer fans?)
    ot|or (sports fans in general)
    Pam|pan
    peet|peer (luv me some Peet's Coffee)
    Preds|press (Nashville Predators)
    ream|team (paper)
    stated|states (past tense)
    stroke|strike
    strung|string
    studies|studied
    thru|through (I'm happy with that abbreviation)
    thunk|think (slang usage)
    vest|best
    warming|warning
    whim|whom
    wins|wind
    yell|tell
    yelling|telling
    yrs|yes (frequent abbreviation)

bbq|barbecue
    bday|birthday
    hr|hour
    hrs|hours
    kinda|kinda'
    mo|month
    mos|months
    neice|nice (changed to niece)
    tv|television
    xmas|Christmas
    Last edited by dhkeller; 03/21/2010 at 01:27 PM.
    dhkeller: could you please post the file?

thanks
    Jah, +1 for having someones most up to date file
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    As requested, here is my latest text-edit-autoreplace file.

It builds on the awesome work of drewjohn (file from reply #33 above), and incorporates the deletions I listed in #72 above.

You will need to add any extra autoreplace strings you'd like, and then rename the file without the -dhkeller.txt extension.

Use WebOS QI to install (following the instructions in comment #52, and others) and then do a full restart of the phone.

Since I am useless developing patches, this is a way I can contribute. Feel free to post more changes you require, and I'll see how long I can keep this updated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Going through my current list to incorporate dhkeller changes-- too many personalized ones to just put the -dhkeller version over mine...

another Removal to suggest.

figured|figures

... as in I figured I'd see you at the event, but I missed you. (wrote that to a client the other day in an email but it came out as... "I figures I'd see you at the event, but I missed you.")
    Okay, so Iíve finally gotten to a point with this 3K list where I feel good posting my edit..

Iíve combed through this autoreplace list several times over and have managed to pull out well over 500 bad entries. If you count the entries with commas that Iíve also removed, then itís closer to 900 entries removed. Remember, the comma entries are useless.

Iíve incorporated (cleaned out) all bad entries posted in this thread including several of dhkellerís that I had missed Ė thanks, dhkeller!

For as many times as Iíve combed this list, Iím sure there are several bad autoreplace entries I missed. That being said, I feel pretty good saying this is the most cleaned-up autoreplace list posted so far.

Try it out and post any bad entries you come across.

Remove EL_VALLUCOS_ and the .txt extension from the file name first. Then, as mentioned before, install with WebOSQI using knickrox13ís instructions (thx again, knickrox13!) in post #3 and do a full reboot.

Chale,
    El Valluco

..this is what I pulled out just from the D's:

dale|sale
    dame|same
    dan|fan
    dares|dates
    dare|date
    dated|dates
    dave|save
    deaf|dead
    dea|sea
    deb|den
    decides|decided
    decoded|decided
    decode|decide
    dec|sec
    deed|feed
    deem|seem
    dee|see
    delts|delta
    demi|demo
    dem|den
    dense|sense
    dent|sent
    dew|few
    dies|does
    dif|did
    dig|dog
    dill|fill
    dine|done
    dingle|single
    dior|door
    dire|fire
    dirt|diet
    dir|die
    dishing|fishing
    dish|fish
    dis|did
    dive|five
    doe|die
    doh|dog
    dole|sole
    dome|some
    dom|don
    dong|song
    dorm|form
    dour|four
    drank|frank
    drip|drop
    drove|drive
    drunk|drink
    dub|sub
    dud|did
    duel|fuel
    duet|diet
    dull|full
    dusk|disk
    dye|due
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by El Valluco; 03/29/2010 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Going through my current list to incorporate dhkeller changes-- too many personalized ones to just put the -dhkeller version over mine...

another Removal to suggest.

figured|figures

... as in I figured I'd see you at the event, but I missed you. (wrote that to a client the other day in an email but it came out as... "I figures I'd see you at the event, but I missed you.")
    I know what you mean about keeping track of personal changes.

FWIW, I have confirmed that auto-edit strings do NOT have to be in alphabetical order, so I keep all my additions right on top. That certainly helps with those.

Does anyone know if there is a "comment out" structure to WebOS that allows for leaving the deletions in the file? This might make it easier to compile everyone's deletions in something better than the list form I published above.

Also ... when I have a personal correction to the standard file that may not apply to everyone, does anyone know for sure what Pre does when there are two auto-edits for the same original string (for example, my neice - nice - niece string)? Haven't tested that ... may have to.

and yes, I have discovered a one or two more that I have to fix for myself ...

arr|are (I prefer the "arr" abbreviation for arrive/arrival)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    FWIW, I have confirmed that auto-edit strings do NOT have to be in alphabetical order, so I keep all my additions right on top. That certainly helps with those.
    I second this notion. I keep all my personal autoreplace entries in a list appended to the end of the 3k list (though wonder if up top is better?). Makes it easy to add and edit my own stuff should I come up with new ones.

Been working on a personal shorthand list as well - it's in process ..I'm trying to make a really intuitive shorthand set based on the 300 most used english words.

Will post when it's ready!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    I second this notion. I keep all my personal autoreplace entries in a list appended to the end of the 3k list (though wonder if up top is better?). Makes it easy to add and edit my own stuff should I come up with new ones.

Been working on a personal shorthand list as well - it's in process ..I'm trying to make a really intuitive shorthand set based on the 300 most used english words.

Will post when it's ready!
    hows that goin?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast