Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 98
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    I want to clarify that my modifications were simply additions to the NATIVE Pre text editor adding whatever the Blackberry autotext had that Pre doesn't (and a little more). There are several slang words that Palm doesn't even bother with adding apostrophes to (like kinda' and gonna'), and several shortcut acronyms that speed up typing (like ttyl|talk to you later). I tried to edit the patch first but got an error. I would have attempted to find the source of the error, but found it easier to just follow Knickrox third post in this thread that instructs how to edit the phone's file NOT the patch. The patch has many more edits, but looking down the list I see that they are mostly correction edits for spelling or typos. I find these useful but palm already has several on the phone and they are more intuitive to the key layout of the Pre. And Homie, to answer your question, the + signs are missing from my file because the + signs are only in the patch. Palm does not use this in their format. You will notice when you receive the "/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace" file in webos install, and open it in notepad++. Also, thanks knockrox13 for the file saving tip. I would have attached the file but the forum kept asking for a file type, which I wasn't sure of, so I used the .txt file instead. I HIGHLY recommend using this method instead of the patch. Palm has near 2500 useful edits and my edit adds about 100 more and you are all free to continue the list. (note* I have kept the list in alphabetical order for easy reference). An app that allowed for editing on the phone would be awesome, but this is a great compromise.
    ok got ya. i added them to mine. i've also erased 100's of mistakes. unless someone can do a better job or would like to spend more time on it, i would say that my list is as good as it gets. (for now) I'm sure that i could have missed more than a few.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  2. #22  
    Thanks for the up drewjohn. I will be sure to check out your edits. I'm always looking for useful shortcuts to help me type faster.
  3. #23  
    missed one...

    slip=skip
  4. #24  
    I was thinking about going to the 3000 word patch earlier today and I'm glad I looked here first.

    I'm starting with the drewjohn version posted just above (net the final slip=skip removal correction)...

    but I now want to add a few personalized lines for shortcuts specific to my usage... a shortcut to type my address and phone # for example.

    A few questions related to making personalized manual updates to the file:

    • Should new entries be in alphabetical order? Not sure if Palm's logic thinks it is searching in a sorted list for auto-replace (and stops once it gets past a the appropriate point in the list)
    • If sort order is not important, has anyone done any testing to see if it is 'faster' when you put regularly used shortcuts at the beginning of the list or at the end?
    • For multi word replacements (ilu to I love you) is it as simple as ilu|I love you or are quotes or something required around the multi-word side of the correction


    Thanks for your hard work already on fixing this list.
  5. #25  
    I don't think they have to be in alphabetical order, but you may want to try for yourself. As for it being faster, I don't see how it could be any faster than instantly changing. Also, to answer your third question, yes it is really that easy. Enjoy
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    As for it being faster, I don't see how it could be any faster than instantly changing.
    Thanks for the reply. By #2, my logic was that WebOS must logically run a 'check' every time you hit spacebar (or punctuation) to compare what I typed versus the words in this list (which is now 22,000 lines / words long). That 'check' would naturally be faster if it comes across a typo at the beginning of the checking activity versus at the end (if it has to go through the entire 22,000 word list before finding the typo.

    I know it currently appears to be done instantly, but in reality it's doing something for some small period of time. My key point is: Would the time it takes to find and replace the 'error' (shortcut) be shortened by putting my most often used shortcuts towards the top of the list? Maybe (probably) the difference is irrelevant... I was just wondering if anyone knew how the auto-correct activity worked.
  7. #27  
    I'm not DL'ing any list since I've been correcting as I find them. Don't know how many I've fixed at this point.
    My latest are threw|three, tank|rank, dies,does, shirt,|short.
  8. #28  
    Wow 22,000! That is a lot. The list I posted only has about 100 additions to the default webos corrections. You must have been hard at work to get that many and at that volume you are probably right that it would take some processing power. Haha
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    Wow 22,000! That is a lot. The list I posted only has about 100 additions to the default webos corrections. You must have been hard at work to get that many and at that volume you are probably right that it would take some processing power. Haha
    A couple corrections. The list I am actually using has 24,854 corrections. however...

    I actually did very very little... (and don't deserve any credit for a 22,000+ list...)

    The 24,854 is actually... drewjohn's version of the file posted on 1/15 with a few 10-20 of my personal shortcuts I've added such as adr1|My home address line1.

    I believe the drewjohn version of the file is:

    • The "Google 3000 words" correction / typo / misspelling list -- which is actually 22,558 words long because many of the "3,000" words are repeated multiple times to cover various possible typos / misspellings likely based on the Pre's keyboard
    • MINUS
    • all of the "100's of mistakes" incorrect entries from the original 21k+ google 3000 list which are incorrect --thanks to drewjohn for the hard work on that part.
    • MINUS
    • slip=skip
    • PLUS
    • your (FidelitySyndrom's) 100 useful replacements from your blackberry experience


    I may be off slightly with some of the above, but I'm in the right ballpark. The main point is that the 3000 word google list mainly accounts for potential typos (based on hitting a nearby, but incorrect, key when typing one of googles top 3000 words). I don't know how well the google-3000 base list accounts for common misspellings, though some of the major ones are there.

    The only aspect of this I'll restate here (I think it is also noted somewhere above) is that WebOS corrections cannot include a comma.... all of the comma entries listed at the start of the list are not handled by webos since the spell-correction acts when you type a space, period, or comma so it can't process the comma as part of the error.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    A couple corrections. The list I am actually using has 24,854 corrections. however...

    I actually did very very little... (and don't deserve any credit for a 22,000+ list...)

    The 24,854 is actually... drewjohn's version of the file posted on 1/15 with a few 10-20 of my personal shortcuts I've added such as adr1|My home address line1.

    I believe the drewjohn version of the file is:

    • The "Google 3000 words" correction / typo / misspelling list -- which is actually 22,558 words long because many of the "3,000" words are repeated multiple times to cover various possible typos / misspellings likely based on the Pre's keyboard
    • MINUS
    • all of the "100's of mistakes" incorrect entries from the original 21k+ google 3000 list which are incorrect --thanks to drewjohn for the hard work on that part.
    • MINUS
    • slip=skip
    • PLUS
    • your (FidelitySyndrom's) 100 useful replacements from your blackberry experience


    I may be off slightly with some of the above, but I'm in the right ballpark. The main point is that the 3000 word google list mainly accounts for potential typos (based on hitting a nearby, but incorrect, key when typing one of googles top 3000 words). I don't know how well the google-3000 base list accounts for common misspellings, though some of the major ones are there.

    The only aspect of this I'll restate here (I think it is also noted somewhere above) is that WebOS corrections cannot include a comma.... all of the comma entries listed at the start of the list are not handled by webos since the spell-correction acts when you type a space, period, or comma so it can't process the comma as part of the error.
    In my experience, the auto-correct happens when a punctuation is followed by a space. Once space is hit, it corrects.
    Now, I haven't tested anything with punctuation blocking any word corrections, such as something like ",ade|made"

    Any knowledge on that^ ?
    NY Giants fan?

    Check out my Facebook Group! - Big Blue (NY Giants) which just passed 11,000 members
    and newly formed Fan Page
  11. #31  
    Just tried all major forms of punctuation to see when auto-correct kicks in.... works with space, comma, period, quotes, and ! No space after punctuation is required to initiate the autocorrect, just one of the punctuations (or just a space of course). Test by going to notepade and typing beleive beleive, believe", beleive! etc... The autocorrect happens immediately when you have a misspelled / typo word followed by the spacebar or any of those punctuations....

    I think your 2nd point was related to my commentary on the comma.... If you look at the Google3000 list and it's various personalized versions we've adapted here in this thread, it starts off with a whole bunch where the misspelled word starts with a comma. That list includes corrections like you've mentioned ,ade|made. I'm sure there are others (where the comma is elsewhere in the mis-spelled word) throughout the 24k lines ot corrections. Clearly, these were established to correct typos where the comma key is hit accedentally instead of the m key. However, in Palms implementation of auto-correct, these corrections with commas can never be made, so therefore we don't actually need them in the list (Edit: Looks like there are just 275 occurances of the comma in a list of 24,000 corrections, so not too big of a deal).

    The issue lies in that this list was likely built to account for common mis-spellings and contractions and not for the potential typo's caused by fat-fingering nearby keys -- accordingly since the comma character is actually an operator that causes the auto-correct functionality to execute, the comma isn't a key that can be corrected for. Can't serve both purposes.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 01/25/2010 at 04:27 PM.
  12. discdoc's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #32  
    I can't seem to update or remove/re-install 3000 Autoreplace Words to work with the new AUPT (Auto Update Patch Technology) system. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  13. #33  
    i guess i've missed a few. Amy=any and the ones listed above that i will have to fix on my list. like i said it's not perfect but way better than before.

    i see now the "," ones don't work. oh well.

    i don't know how to use this with the AUPT i guess i will just do it manually if i have too. If you have problems removing a patch check out my signature. i wish Preware would post this one instead. it's much better.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by drewjohn; 01/28/2010 at 08:11 AM.
  14. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #34  
    Thanks to everyone in this thread. The Palm pre experience just got a whole lot better
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Thanks to everyone in this thread. The Palm pre experience just got a whole lot better

    Very true. I can now type with my gloves on. if i hit the wrong letter chances are it will get corrected for me.
  16. #36  
    I just ran EPR since that should be the last time.

    Is it possible changing the file broke it so it would update or unisstall?
  17. #37  
    hope this is a good patch
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    Upon further review, Preware doesn't understand that the patch is installed, although it correctly did. To make edits after your initial one (as described in the first post), you can directly change the file. Open webosquickinstall.
    Tools > Receive file
    Code:
    /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace
    Open this file in Notepad++ (described in the first post). Make edits.
    Preware: Tools > Send file
    Search for the place that you saved text-edit-autoreplace
    Put this in the following folder
    Code:
    /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/
    Reboot phone.


    ok a little more help for me if i could

    i have done the above but the phone responded as if the patch was not installed. So i tried to remove the patch using webOS but it gave me a huge list of HUNK ERRORS. the phone now says 'phone offline' in the top left corner.

    what happened?
  19. #39  
    ok the phone offline thing is ok

    but i cant correct my text-edit-autoreplace file, it wont register the file at all now

    could somebody send me a copy of their working file so i can copy it onto my phone? i appreciate that
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by andywoodstick View Post
    ok the phone offline thing is ok

    but i cant correct my text-edit-autoreplace file, it wont register the file at all now

    could somebody send me a copy of their working file so i can copy it onto my phone? i appreciate that
    I'm going to make some more updates to the file in the next few days. Once I do that, I'll post up my current file. MIght be Thurs or Friday before I get to this since I can't do it from work.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions