Page 1 of 26 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE (important!): This patch is no longer under development by its author. But, the patch "Advanced Configuration for App Launcher" is superior to this one in every way.

So, following up on my "Page selection tabs in App Launcher" patch, here's the next stage:

• This patch adds a name to each page in the launcher.
    • Hold the Orange key or gesture area and tap the header to rename a page.
    • Tapping on the name brings up a submenu for navigating quickly to any named page.
    • You can move an app to another page by using a selector in the app's info dialog, summoned via Orange-tap on an app in the launcher. The app will move to the upper left position of the selected page. (No need to drag the app across several pages anymore.)

This patch works better with the "app-launcher-enable-add-delete-pages" and "app-launcher-gesture-tap-for-info-and-delete" patches, and probably conflicts with the "app-launcher-wrap-pages" patch and others.

NOTE - If you are having problems applying this patch, please try the following before posting on this thread:

Remove all patches, then attempt to install this patch again on a clean device.

Note that I wrote all patches, not just the ones you think might be a problem—you may be surprised. This might sound drastic, but there is no other definitive way to determine what your problem might be. Sharing error messages generally doesn't help, unfortunately.

If this patch can be applied on a clean device and causes no problems, then it may be that there's a conflict with one of your other patches. To find that conflict, try applying the rest of your patches one at a time until one fails to apply or causes a problem. Posting that discovery on this thread—and the support thread of the conflicting patch—may be helpful to others. Unless or until the conflict is resolved, unfortunately, you'll need to pick one patch or the other.

If this patch can't be applied even on a patch-free clean device, try using a different tool (eg. quilt, WOSQI, or Preware). If one tool works while the other doesn't, you may want to find a thread devoted to the failing tool for additional help. (eg. AUPT: Auto Update Patch Technology; WebOS Quick Install; Preware)

If, even after trying different tools, you can't apply the patch on a clean device, then finally there may be a problem with the patch itself.

Update: v8 - Patch updated to work with webOS v1.4.0; reverted to styles in v5
    Update: v6 - Smaller page name header, using styles from .palm-button.small-button
    Update: v5 - tweak for compatibility with "Advanced Options in Launcher" patch
    Update: v4 - added "Rename page" to app menu
    Update: v3 - per [mamouton]'s suggestion, made the launcher name header more transparent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lmorchard; 08/19/2010 at 06:23 PM.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
    This looks good! Is there a way to make it more transparent?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Which part - the name header on pages? Hmm... I think that is actually possible with a CSS opacity tweak.
    l.m.orchard
    Yes the name headers, this is a great mod. Off topic but do you know why the page limit is 10 for adding pages?
    I have the add delete page, wrap pages(original) and it is working great.
  6.    #6  
    Yes the name headers, this is a great mod. Off topic but do you know why the page limit is 10 for adding pages?
    No real idea about the page limit - that's actually written into Palm code out of the box. I haven't tried removing that limit, so I'm not sure what would happen (if anything) without it. Might be okay though
    l.m.orchard
  7.    #7  
    I have the add delete page, wrap pages(original) and it is working great.
    Oh, nice! My previous patch seemed to fail with wrap pages, so I assumed this one would too. Hmm
    l.m.orchard
    I am not using the one from preware, it stopped the animation. I have his original one and it works great with it and still has the animation.
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorchard View Post
    Oh, nice! My previous patch seemed to fail with wrap pages, so I assumed this one would too. Hmm
    The first version of wrap pages worked will with your number page patch also. I didn't like the way the new one didn't have the animation so I removed and installed the first one.
    Wow That great , its works perfectly after uninstall the previous patch( Page Section tab)

Now I can move the icon/app to specific pagse and customize the page name its more easiest to use and remember , that really a good patch .

It since palm os luncher page be back to Palm pre

Thanks lmorchard
    I would love this even more if you could replace the word "Launcher" in the upper left hand corner of the screen with the names of each page.
    This is my launcher page. If the header was more transparent it would be invisible.
  13.    #13  
    I just threw in an opacity: 0.5 for the page header, which looks a lot better IMO, thanks for the suggestion!
    l.m.orchard
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyfool View Post
    I would love this even more if you could replace the word "Launcher" in the upper left hand corner of the screen with the names of each page.
    Hmm, that might be interesting—no idea how to do it, though. Might do some spelunking to see if any other app does it.
    l.m.orchard
    I am unistalling and reinstalling now.
    that does look better, if the edges could be blended in or it just be the word that would be cool. Thanks for taking this on.
    Very nice patch. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorchard View Post
    Hmm, that might be interesting—no idea how to do it, though. Might do some spelunking to see if any other app does it.
    I'm thinking you'd have to edit the Launcher application itself. I remember creating the App Menu name in the html file of an "Hello World" app I made a while back.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I'm thinking you'd have to edit the Launcher application itself. I remember creating the App Menu name in the html file of an "Hello World" app I made a while back.
    From what I can see with a quick looksee, there's an initial message to SystemUI on app launch / activation, and that makes changes to the app menu. But, it looks like something that happens under the hood and out of the app's control.
    l.m.orchard
    I'm venturing to guess my suggestion isn't currently possible because the launcher application doesn't necessarily care which page you are on, it just knows it's the Launcher the same way Email knows it's email, etc.

In other words, if it said, "Launcher 1" and "Launcher 2" depending on the page you are on, I'm sure it would be more feasible.

In the meantime, I like this patch, thanks!
Page 1 of 26 12345611 ... LastLast