Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kbywal View Post
    I think there should be a warning in the description of this patch that people have issues with it. And this is not related just to 1.4 release, I had problems with this patch already on 1.3.5.2 (it was not possible to uninstall this patch ! I tried many different things (uninstalled all patches, did luna reboot, run EPR from both Preware and QI) and it was not possible to get rid of it ! I ended up with doctoring my PRE due to this patch ! The idea is great and I am going to install it back once it is confirmed it is uninstallable, but as per now it seems that the code is not ready to be released without any warning.
    See posts in the prior 2-3 pages in this thread from EGaudet. This patch works the way it should work. It makes changes to the standard PalmOS files in the way it should and those changes by themselves are not a problem. When you start adding other patches into the mix, of course it will get a little more complicated...

All of that said, the problem with 'this patch' (in 1.3.5 and any in 1.4) appears to have something to do with the installer technology. I"ve also posted a bunch since mid-last-week about problems installing / removing this patch via WebOSQI (check out my posts in AUPT on Fef 25-26 and in WebOSQI on the Mar 1st (I think). I've notified Jason in the WEBOSQI 3.02 thread, but as we all know, he's a busy guy and just a few patches (including this one) seem to be affected.

Don't get me wrong, I understand this is frustrating for those for whom this isnt' working (and who experience trouble removing it), but it's not this patch and it's not for everyone -- I was the first 'lay-user' to get this one onto a 1.4 Pre and it's been working fabulously since then -- not a single issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Inherently, this is one of the few pages that can't be fully removed with AUPT [yet?].

All the other patches have an obvious path to remove themselves and then reinstall. But this one, I believe, does not know how to remove itself (or AUPT doesn't know how to remove it)... because this is one of the only patches that you can truly customize, creating the name of each launcher page.
    lm can correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the page names are stored as a web cookie or something like that. That's why they are not removed and why the names stick when you reinstall the patch (as they are backed up to the palm profile with other web stuff). Since they're just another cookie, they should have no effect on things.

I don't think that's why there's a problem with installs (WebOS QI) or removals (??? not sure which platform is having trouble with removals). ]

When I was having my own removal / reinstall problems last week with the prior version of the patch (in 1.3.5.1 using WebOSQI 3.02), the problem area of the patch was with launcher-scene.html. When trying to install v8 by WebOSQI, it yields that same Hunk error to launcher-scene.html (even on a freshly wiped and Dr'd PRE). Mamouton confirmed this by modifying the patch and removing that part of the code (and making changes to that file manually -- so don't try that at home unless you know what you are doing)
    Just an FYI, I ran every option that I could find and had to use WebOS Doctor.

For some reason, even though I had run WebOS Doctor I still got 4x4 with not arrows but it wasn't black anymore like the iPhone.

It really looks like there were some changes made outside the sandbox. Any idea on how to clean up that area? I'm going to contact the guy who wrote that app and see if he has any ideas, but YOUR ideas (those of you who know how to write apps or have a lot of experience troubleshooting these things) are VERY welcome and I thank you, with great respect, in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    lm can correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive the page names are stored as a web cookie or something like that. That's why they are not removed and why the names stick when you reinstall the patch (as they are backed up to the palm profile with other web stuff). Since they're just another cookie, they should have no effect on things.
    Hmm... Interesting... That's a pretty nice solution to store data in a cookie so that it's installed in the Palm Profile. Very interesting, indeed.

I guess I'll just try removing any and all patches that seem to edit the launcher pages... but I'm not sure if there is any more that do so, besides the "add/delete launcher pages". Will look into this later.
    Can anyone confirm the patch can be removed without problems on 1.4 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbywal View Post
    Can anyone confirm the patch can be removed without problems on 1.4 ?
    Try:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...h-1-4-a-2.html

It worked on several problem patches for me. Several of the patches were fine on one phone and not another, so I don't think it is specific to this patch.

My thanks button no work!
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Preware version Named Launcher pages doesnt work with wrap pages patch in combo. Why?
    Not exactly sure why, but the OLDer version of Wrap pages does work -- it's on my Pre now along with this patch. It's posted earlier in this tread (by mamouton I think). Only trick is you'll have to install it by WOSQI rather than preware.
    Update: v8 - Patch updated to work with webOS v1.4.0; reverted to styles in v5
    Why?!

This is an awesome patch but the smaller name is essential.
    Hi,

I know Named Pages has some issues with several other patches, so I thought I'd ask here:

Does anyone know if it has a problem with the SMS Tones Patch?

I can't get that to work, so I just installed the Nofication Sound Patch, just to get part if it going.

I know I have to uninstall that when I find my answer before attempting again.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Do you mean the sms tones per contact? If so this patch works great with that one, they don't touch the same files.
    @greenawayj I mainly use webosqi to install all my patches. That is probably why I didn't have any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    @greenawayj I mainly use webosqi to install all my patches. That is probably why I didn't have any problems.
    I'm using right now 'Slect Alert and Notification Tones because I canNOT get the 'SMS Tone Per Contact' which is what I want, to work.

Just getting an error when installing it.

Are you able to figure out the error logs?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I can try PM though so we don't hijack this thread.
  14.    #354  

I don't think that's why there's a problem with installs (WebOS QI) or removals (??? not sure which platform is having trouble with removals).
    You're correct - this patch stores the page names in a cookie. Basically all the cookie has in it is an array of names, indexed by page number, and the patch code is the only thing that accesses the cookie.

This means removing the patch actually leaves that data behind, but I can't think of any problems that would cause. The patch tries to be pretty careful about not making any assumptions whether the cookie is present or intact.

I could see adding a menu option to clear out the list, but there no such thing as patch install / remove hooks that would let me do that automatically.

But, the (non-)existence of the cookie shouldn't affect whether or not the patch itself can be removed or applied.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
  15.    #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Hmm... Interesting... That's a pretty nice solution to store data in a cookie so that it's installed in the Palm Profile. Very interesting, indeed.

I guess I'll just try removing any and all patches that seem to edit the launcher pages... but I'm not sure if there is any more that do so, besides the "add/delete launcher pages". Will look into this later.
    It's kind of a pain, but removing all patches and starting over from the last one you tried installing is the general procedure to root out conflicts.

If the patch causes a problem by itself on a clean webOS, then it's the patch. If the patch works fine, then you reinstall your previous patches one-by-one until the problem returns - which reveals a conflict. There's no real way to figure it out otherwise, because everyone has different combinations of patches and new ones come out every day.
    Last edited by lmorchard; 03/10/2010 at 06:34 PM.
    l.m.orchard
  16.    #356  
    Not exactly sure why, but the OLDer version of Wrap pages does work -- it's on my Pre now along with this patch. It's posted earlier in this tread (by mamouton I think). Only trick is you'll have to install it by WOSQI rather than preware.
    That older version of Wrap Pages works in a way that doesn't touch the same code as this Named Pages patch. The next version up was totally rewritten in a way that all but replaces the code this Named Pages patch modifies. So, they conflict.
    l.m.orchard
  17.    #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by bends View Post
    Why?!

This is an awesome patch but the smaller name is essential.
    Personally, I didn't like the smaller name and never got much positive feedback about it. I couldn't really use it very well myself without accidentally launching apps or pulling down menus, so I went back to the larger tap target.
    l.m.orchard
    I'm just happy that it works, period. Thanks very much for a great patch!
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorchard View Post
    Personally, I didn't like the smaller name and never got much positive feedback about it. I couldn't really use it very well myself without accidentally launching apps or pulling down menus, so I went back to the larger tap target.
    As was mentioned, I love this patch! However, it would be nice to have a version with the smaller titles too if it is not too much trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    As was mentioned, I love this patch! However, it would be nice to have a version with the smaller titles too if it is not too much trouble.
    I second the motion for smaller titles!