Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    @greenawayj What other launcher patches do you have applied?
    • 4x4v3 (Preware)
    • wrap pages (.patch installed with QI 3.02 -- the old version - the one that had previously been compatible with named pages)
    • Hide Quick Luanch Bar in Launcher (Preware)
    • Gesture Tap for Info and Detete (Preware)
    • Unhide Dev Mode Icon (Preware)
    I just posted a bug report in the QI 3.02 thread. Hopefully, Jason can figure out what's happening in QI 3.02 with that particular section of the patch code...
    Bump.

lmorchard, there is a lot of activity here, and I am worried my question is so far back it may get overlooked. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Help. I have lost Launcher pages 8, 9, 10.

I had created a total of 10 pages in Launcher, and had been running like that for quite some time with no problems. Within the last couple of days, I can no longer get pages 8, 9 or 10 to display, and the apps that were on those pages are not displayed on any other pages.

Also, and I don't know if this is related, but sometimes the Universal Search method to find and launch an app doesn't work. i.e. I will begin typing the letters of an app and the Launcher will pop up, but it just brings up the last viewed page, and does not filter for the characters I have typed.

Yesterday, I ran EPR, but that has not helped.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorchard View Post
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/patch -R -p1 -d / -i /media/internal/app-launcher-named-pages-v8.patch
    This worked perfect!! copied patch to palm pre drive, opened up WOSQI, ran the command and installed fine Thanks lmorchad!
    YES! Installed via wosqi commandline - couldn't wait any longer.

thanks guys!!!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Only caution for those of you using the command line to install this right now (as Eric G reminded me on Friday night when I was having these same issues with v5 on 1.3.5).

Command line installed patches aren't installed with AUPT technology, so be sure to 'reinstall' as Eric notes above one the Preware version comes out --- just be sure to do that before the next WebOS Update!!! ;-)
    do you have the "SMS Icon for Mobile Tagged Numbers Only" patch installed?
    that patch seems to be causing universal search failure in 1.4. try removing it and see if your universal search is working again.

Bump.

lmorchard, there is a lot of activity here, and I am worried my question is so far back it may get overlooked. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I *really* much preferred the skinnier name header that v6 had. Really hoping you could give us a patch with the v6 header that works with 1.4? I like the look a lot more and it takes up less room. I am also using 4x3 v2 icons.

I was also having trouble installing this patch with QI, at first I was getting the 'unreversed patch' error, then after a reboot it installed but did not show the title bar in the launcher after restarting.

I ended up installing via the 'applying patches' instructions straight from webos internals. Not sure of the difference in the end result with using quilt rather than the patch command.

cd /
    quilt import /media/internal/app-launcher-named-pages-v8.patch
    quilt series
    quilt push

-Cal
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    LM / Eric / All --

I just put the v8 patch into the root dir of my USB drive. Then I ran the following from the QI Terminal:

All files ran through the dry run OK -- no errors!!!

Then I (guessed) and deleted the "--dry-run" part:

and voila -- It works!!! I now have named pages running on my 1.4 Sprint Pre.
    this worked perfectly for me too
    i don't understand any of the tech jargon being thrown around here, but it truly is a sight to behold to see all you programmers/patchers/hackers working together to create a smooth user experience. I just wanna thank everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanTheMan View Post
    this worked perfectly for me too
    Cool. Glad to see others are getting back in on the "Named Pages" fun. That and the Browser multi-mod were my last two must-haves in order to feel my Pre is back to full functionality relative to pre-1.4 times.

Just to reiterate (on behalf of Eric G and AUPT), please be sure to 're-install' this patch using Preware when it arrives in the feeds so that the patch becomes AUPT-3 technology enabled (and will survive future updates and WebOS Drs too I think).

Installing it from the command line as I did was primarily for proof of concept that the patch worked as written and that WebOS QI 3.02 was doing something strange when trying to install it the 'usual' non-Preware way...

... all of that said (re-said), if you're comfortable with this approach, more power too ya. (I would not have been if not for Eric's help along the way)
    Last edited by greenawayj; 03/02/2010 at 11:46 AM.
  12.    #292  
    Just to reiterate (on behalf of Eric G and AUPT), please be sure to 're-install' this patch using Preware when it arrives in the feeds so that the patch becomes AUPT-3 technology enabled (and will survive future updates and WebOS Drs too I think).
    For what it's worth, I just got email that the patch update was accepted. If you installed via command line, you may want to reverse that and try Preware in an hour or so.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
    For what it's worth, I just got email that the patch update was accepted. If you installed via command line, you may want to reverse that and try Preware in an hour or so.
    Also can just try Preware (without reverse) since it's the same patch file the AUPT logic will let the install go through seeing it as already applied

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  14.    #294  
    Help. I have lost Launcher pages 8, 9, 10.

I had created a total of 10 pages in Launcher, and had been running like that for quite some time with no problems. Within the last couple of days, I can no longer get pages 8, 9 or 10 to display, and the apps that were on those pages are not displayed on any other pages.
    I've never seen this happen, and couldn't say off the top of my head what would cause it to happen.

What other patches do you have applied, and did you install anything over the last couple of days? Have you tried creating / removing additional pages, assuming you have the add/remove pages patch installed?

Also, and I don't know if this is related, but sometimes the Universal Search method to find and launch an app doesn't work. i.e. I will begin typing the letters of an app and the Launcher will pop up, but it just brings up the last viewed page, and does not filter for the characters I have typed.

Yesterday, I ran EPR, but that has not helped.
    Pretty much same answer as above - haven't seen it myself, can't think of what would make it happen. Are you saying Universal Search is still not working, even when this patch is removed?
    l.m.orchard
  15.    #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabraun View Post
    I *really* much preferred the skinnier name header that v6 had. Really hoping you could give us a patch with the v6 header that works with 1.4? I like the look a lot more and it takes up less room. I am also using 4x3 v2 icons.
    I ended up always launching apps rather than changing pages, so I couldn't stand to keep the old style going. If you really like it, it might not be too hard for you to splice the CSS changes over from v6 into the v8 using a text editor

Quote Originally Posted by Calabraun View Post
    I was also having trouble installing this patch with QI, at first I was getting the 'unreversed patch' error, then after a reboot it installed but did not show the title bar in the launcher after restarting.

I ended up installing via the 'applying patches' instructions straight from webos internals. Not sure of the difference in the end result with using quilt rather than the patch command.

cd /
    quilt import /media/internal/app-launcher-named-pages-v8.patch
    quilt series
    quilt push
    That's how I manage patches on my device. The main difference is that you'll want to do `quilt pop -a` to remove quilt-managed patches before doing anything like updating the OS, applying the patch via Preware, etc. I think AUPT might cope with it fine, but quilt will get confused.
    l.m.orchard
    Hey LM -- As long as you're on the subject of alternative Named Pages patches... would you mind if I edited v8 to change the two instances of the QuickLaunch setting to false (if I recall correctly from last time) and posted that as an alternative version in Preware?

I would name it the same as yours except adding '-HideQuickLaunchBar" at the end...

As background for others:

As someone who uses the "Hide QL in Launcher" patch for the extra screen real estate, there is just a slight UI inconsistancy when using the standard 'Named Pages' patch. As we've discussed before (and for others who might not have been paying attention), this only occurs when "Teleporting" to a new page (selecting a go-to page from the drop-down list of launcher pages rather than just swiping from one to the next). If you only use swipes (and have Hide QL Bar in Launcher patch installed) then the QL Bar remains hidden throughout.

Regardless, the Hide QL Bar in Launcher patch is fully compatible with Named Pages, it's just the reappearance of QL because of new code lmorchard needed in Named Pages that makes the QL Bar pop back up in the case noted above.

Finally, assuming you're OK with this.... I just need to figure out dbsooner's patch submittal process. I should have time tonight.
    I've never seen this happen, and couldn't say off the top of my head what would cause it to happen.

What other patches do you have applied, and did you install anything over the last couple of days? Have you tried creating / removing additional pages, assuming you have the add/remove pages patch installed?

Pretty much same answer as above - haven't seen it myself, can't think of what would make it happen. Are you saying Universal Search is still not working, even when this patch is removed?
    I have 8 launcher pages, and I saw the same things under 1.3.5.1. There's a thread about this, but only at the end of that thread did we even consider that the named pages patch might have something to do with it. It's not yet clear that it does. However, since 1.4, and not having the named pages patch installed, I have not seen this problem.

To the poster with the issue, I'd suggest doing multiple luna restarts. When I used to do this, eventually the icons showed up, at least until something else caused the problem again. I suspect that sometimes the launcher timed out during some cpu-intensive process going on during reboot.
    Imorchard,
    I realize that this patch is not your pet project and you are trying to perfect it, but is there any chance you can fix your old one to work in 1.4?

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-launcher.html

I REALLY like this patch.
    I used it every day and it worked GREAT for me and several others.
    Now I am very disappointed to not have it.
  19.    #299  
    Hey LM -- As long as you're on the subject of alternative Named Pages patches... would you mind if I edited v8 to change the two instances of the QuickLaunch setting to false (if I recall correctly from last time) and posted that as an alternative version in Preware?
    Finally, assuming you're OK with this.... I just need to figure out dbsooner's patch submittal process. I should have time tonight.
    I don't mind - in fact, I'd encourage it. All my patches are MIT-licensed, so there are no restrictions on forking them. I like to see my name appear somewhere vaguely near it, but even that's not required.

If you actually care about the change - unlike me - it's more likely you'll keep your version working and up to date
    l.m.orchard
  20.    #300  
    Quote Originally Posted by shock_terminal View Post
    Imorchard,
    I realize that this patch is not your pet project and you are trying to perfect it, but is there any chance you can fix your old one to work in 1.4?

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-launcher.html

I REALLY like this patch.
    I used it every day and it worked GREAT for me and several others.
    Now I am very disappointed to not have it.
    If I get a chance to take a look, I will. But, I never use it any more myself, so it's kind of a pain to maintain. Hopefully someone else who likes it and can hack patches will adopt it someday.
    l.m.orchard