Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwonay View Post
    I installed the patch today using Preware and I'm running WebOS 1.4. When I open my apps I see the tabs but no apps, just blank pages.
    Read earlier in this thread about that.

But in general, to troubleshoot patches:

Remove them all, re-apply the latest one that seemed to cause trouble. If it works fine by itself, it's not the new patch by itself.

So then, try re-applying your other patches again one-by-one until the problem returns. If / when it returns, you've discovered a conflict between two patches.

Unfortunately, conflicts happen, and there's no real way to completely avoid them or even know about them until users run into them with a particular combination. Let the authors of both patches know, and maybe something can be done to resolve the conflict.
    Last edited by lmorchard; 03/10/2010 at 05:31 PM.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
    please give me the file name so that I can attempt removal. Thanks!
  3.    #103  
    File name of what?
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorchard View Post
    File name of what?
    Clearly this person isn't familiar with the general concepts of WebOS patches and patch removal(s) as his question makes no sense.

In Preware, under "list of everything" select Emergency Patch Removal. Run this. You will have your apps back and your Pre will be patch-free. Then you can follow LMOrchards excellent de-bugging instructions posted in this thread and elsewhere to install this patch first, followed by one at a time by any others you have installed.... once you get to the point where you lose your apps again, you know you have found the conflicting patch. Remove that one and reinstall the rest. Poof, you are done.

keep up the great work lm.
    Is it possible to make a second version of this patch (WHICH I LOVE!) that has the tabs at the bottom just above the App Quick List (or whatever you call it)? I like being able to tap the tabs but still be able to see all the apps in each tab without my fat fingers and hand getting in the way...;-)
    I, like many other people, would like to be able to name the tabs even if the names will be cut short. I had the name tabs patch for a while but i don't like having to keep pressing that damn button to make the drop list appear... Or if possible make them changeable pics or icons. just some food for thought
    stay in touch with the hip hop community @http://www.twitter.com/moon_man_e
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I love this patch and suggested icons long ago but there does not appear to be much interest in adding additional options to this great patch. Unfortunate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I love this patch and suggested icons long ago but there does not appear to be much interest in adding additional options to this great patch. Unfortunate.
    Yes. Icons like how the bar in preware or the app catalog would be great. The numbers aren't that cool to be honest
    Last edited by Loco Wit The Pre; 03/27/2010 at 08:04 PM.
    stay in touch with the hip hop community @http://www.twitter.com/moon_man_e
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco Wit The Pre View Post
    Yes. Icons like how the bar in preware or the app catalog would be great. The numbers aren't that cool to be honest
    If I recall correctly, LMOrchard has continued to support this particular patch somewhat reluctantly because he himself now uses the named pages patch and his interests are to work on the one he is using.

That said, after several requests, he did step up and update this one for those who prefer it over named pages. Additionally, he has clearly indicated that anyone who would like to mod any of his patches to fit their own use preferences would be free to do so. (If I am wrong about that beleif, I'll retract that statement)

Personally, I totally respect his position and really appreciate the fact that his inginuity brought us these two great patches in the first place. Let's not begin complaining because he has chosen not to be a 'full-time' patch auther (an exxageration of course....) who incorporates suggestions from the crowd.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I don't think anyone is complaining. If anything we are showing our appreciation for this patch and demonstrating that it is still being used. Our suggestions are just that, suggestions in case someone in the know (whether the OP or someone else) feels like adding some extra value to the patch. I wish I could but I don't have the necessary skills.
    Well page selection tabs in launcher is my favorite patch. Is there a way to rename the tabs like in the named pages patch?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I installed this over webos 1.4.1.1 and 4x4 icons and got blank pages. The epr deleted all patches, except it didn't. Seems like the pages need to be pushed to be back behind the icons.
    Hmmm, I thought somebody was having the "stuck" patch problem in this thread, not seeing it at the moment, but assuming they were:

Ok, this may help:

Some time ago I had 6 of these "won't die, won't update" patches. EPR wouldn't touch 'em.

As near as I can tell it had nothing to do with any particular patch, different problem patches on different phones. So don't blame this patch's author. This Patch was not on either phone.

Finally after much searching I came upon this solution:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...h-1-4-a-2.html

And the grand solution, once I found it was really REALLY straightforward:

In Webos Quick Install go > Tool > Linux Commandline. In the box type something like (you will wish to substitute your bad app, for details see the other thread):

ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps remove org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-hide-nascar-app

It says (Linux long blah blah) that it's deleting it, repeated for others, restarted the Pre and <trumpets> they were gone!

Reinstalled them, they work! Happy happy, joy joy!

Thanks GoGayleGo, and egaudet

Make sure and check out Eric's (egaudet) warnings in that post about using this fix. It may be a bad thing, but I have had no problem with phone since.

In case the above link doesn't show for everyone: PreCentral Forums > webOS Software and Chat > web OS Development > Cannot Unpatch 1.4 > page 2

Good luck!
    Last edited by goky; 04/09/2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: added quote

My thanks button no work!
    I suspect most folks went to the Named Pages Patch. I did...
    But that being said this patch itself has some real potential. I was thinking that one workaround for the 4 + ... problem would be if the "menu" of numbers wrapped horseshoe like around the sides:

4 5 6 7
    3 .... 8
    2 .... 9
    1 ....10

There is room around the icons (on mine) if the side number buttons were thin.

It would have the advantage that any page would be one press away. The con is that finger drift while holding the phone would change the page.

Probably not worth the effort, given the named pages patch is really quite excellent. But I thought I would throw the idea out.

My thanks button no work!
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorchard View Post

Next step is to work up some UI to give each of these tabs a name, ala categories. But, for now, this patch may be handy to someone as-is.

I tried installing both this Patch and your "Name The Pages In Launcher" Patch, but it didn't work. Is the Name Pages Patch basically an upgrade from this Patch? Because I Love the Naming Patch, but I really like the Tabs of this one. So am I only able to install one or the other?

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I don't want the names in my tabs, I just want a revision of the patch to put the tabs at the bottom of the screen instead of the top. Can anyone do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    I tried installing both this Patch and your "Name The Pages In Launcher" Patch, but it didn't work. Is the Name Pages Patch basically an upgrade from this Patch? Because I Love the Naming Patch, but I really like the Tabs of this one. So am I only able to install one or the other?
    You have to pick one or the other. They are not compatible
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I really like the idea of tabs to select the app launcher pages.

But the numbers seem to clutter the app launcher patch. I think having very thin slits (with no text in them) to choose app launcher pages will look nice . I might be wrong though!

Can someone give me pointers on how to edit this patch for that?

Thanks.
    What can you get Power48 (HP48/49G emulator) working in WebOS?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456