Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 119
  1. #61  
    I tried over and over using Preware and it wouldn't install. I downloaded the patch from this post and used WebOS Quick Install to load the patch. The software said I needed 2 other patches first (sorry, didn't catch what they were) and it installed those 2 then this one and now it works. I hope this helps people in the future.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdc3ven View Post
    well im going to go out on a limb here and suggest people dont give up on this little gem. Two taps to launch any app on any page is nothing to shake your fist at.

    im thinking if this worked with less compatibility issues between other (launcher im guessing) patches, + the ability to change the names of the tabbed pages like the other launcher patch we'll leave nameless cough cough, + extra tab to transform your pre into a decepticon minirobot the world would be a better place for sure
    This is a bit of a sidebar, but... The main problem with compatibility is really just a basic problem with patches in general: They're all trying to modify the same sections of code, and diff/patch aren't smart enough to reconcile that.

    Patches refer to line numbers and include a few surrounding lines of context. If code has been inserted, and the line numbers are offset, the patch tool can use the lines of context to adjust. But, if the surrounding lines of code have been also changed by another patch, the patch tool has lost the ability to apply the changes from the next patch.

    There are a few tricks for a patch author to try, which mostly involve trying to stash changes in spots that other patches aren't using. But, after awhile, since every launcher patch wants to do something with a) the menu, b) general setup, or c) launcher pages, they're bound to all conflict in the same critical code sections.

    Really, the best thing is for someone to scoop this patch up with a group of their favorites and manually weave them into a "megamix" style patch.

    Of course, my problem is that I'm not so interested in working further on this patch because the named pages does the job much better for me personally. But, this patch is MIT licensed, so anyone should feel free to take over work on it from me if there's interest.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdc3ven View Post
    well im going to go out on a limb here and suggest people dont give up on this little gem. Two taps to launch any app on any page is nothing to shake your fist at.

    im thinking if this worked with less compatibility issues between other (launcher im guessing) patches, + the ability to change the names of the tabbed pages like the other launcher patch we'll leave nameless cough cough, + extra tab to transform your pre into a decepticon minirobot the world would be a better place for sure
    Oh, and on the subject of renaming the tabs, the main things that pushed me to the single named banner at the top are listed out here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2150037

    Basically, everything I've tried to tweak makes the thing less usable for me. I've not been able to cram more than 1-3 tabs of useful word-length into the view menu, and I've not been able to implement a meta-tap on the view menu to rename a page (which I really like).
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
  4. Quintus's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    #64  
    How about using icons instead of numbers or letters in the tabs? LauncherX on Palm OS was my favourite and it used icons and worked wonderfully.

    Here is a screen shot. You could see some of the icons used in the tabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Quintus; 01/29/2010 at 07:20 PM.
  5. #65  
    Not working for me in 1.4
    Any chance this is getting updated?
    I REALLY like this one more than "named pages" personaly.
  6. #66  
    I installed the empty patch b4 it was ready for 1.4. I realized it was ready today, and installed it and then did a luna restart. When my phone turned back on... Every single one of my icons/apps/everything has disappeared. I can't access anything other device info. Please Help. Is there anyway I can reverse this without losing all my content, (pics etc.) Would a partial erase delete my pics/vids? Thanks.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    I installed the empty patch b4 it was ready for 1.4. I realized it was ready today, and installed it and then did a luna restart. When my phone turned back on... Every single one of my icons/apps/everything has disappeared. I can't access anything other device info. Please Help. Is there anyway I can reverse this without losing all my content, (pics etc.) Would a partial erase delete my pics/vids? Thanks.
    same problem for me.....
  8. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #68  
    I didn't have the problem but I did have that before when installing a different patch. Look through your launcher patches as there's probably one that conflicts with this one. That was my problem and I had to uninstall the other patch because this one was by far more useful.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  9. #69  
    OK, how? I have no icons to even go to preware to view installed packages. I wasn't aware of a way to view installed patches using WOSQI......thanks in advance.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    I didn't have the problem but I did have that before when installing a different patch. Look through your launcher patches as there's probably one that conflicts with this one. That was my problem and I had to uninstall the other patch because this one was by far more useful.
    Thanks, but how do I look through my launcher patches? (what are launcher patches?) And how would I uninstall a patch if I can't access Preware? Thanks
  11. #71  
    I realize you can't run Preware from on-device if you can't see the icon.

    In lieu of a DR visit, maybe you'll be able to run an EPR or patch-by-patch removal from WebOS QuickInstall. EPR is available from the feeds? Patch removal is available within the Tools-Device Management window. Those would seem to be your main hope.

    Also, are you referring to the Named Pages patch (another thread) or the Page Selection Tabs patch (this thread)? I didn't think this one was going to be maintained any longer by the original author? I've seen one other mention of this issue in that Named Pages thread, but it does seem to be fairly rare -- must be some type of patch incompatibility.

    Another idea I just had (if EPR doesn't work) is you can use WebOS QI (if the Pre will connect to QI) to "Send" the stock WebOS 1.4 files available from within the DR file to the appropriate locations to restore the launcher files modified by the patch. I think there are 5 or 6 of these files. At least if you do that, (and if the device still needs a Dr visit) you'll be able to manage the Dr visit at your own pace and backup appropriate content accordingly.

    Just a few ideas to try
  12. #72  
    thanks, I'll be away from my computer until tmrw... Dingwall, if you get a chance, could you post ur results using WOSQI? I would like to know if that works b4 I get home. Thanks.
  13. #73  
    greenaway... Not sure which patch. They both were available at the same time and I installed them simultaneously.
  14. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I realize you can't run Preware from on-device if you can't see the icon.
    Actually, that's not true. All you need to do is start typing the name of the app and universal search will bring up a list of apps that match. A nice feature that gets you out of situations like this!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  15. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    Thanks, but how do I look through my launcher patches? (what are launcher patches?) And how would I uninstall a patch if I can't access Preware? Thanks
    As I just mentioned, just start typing "Preware" and universal search will bring up an icon for apps that match whatever you type.

    As for what a launcher patches are, all patches are categorized. Unfortunately you can't browse by category of patches you've installed, just of patches you haven't. But basically you want to look for patches with an icon similar to the arrow in dark circle that mimics the icon on the far left of the Quick Launch Bar on the Pre. That indicates it's a launcher patch. Look for all of those and try removing one at a time. Actually, if you post the list I will see if I can remember which one it was that messed me up, although I think the author actually was supposed to have fixed the problem (I didn't try it after that).
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Actually, that's not true. All you need to do is start typing the name of the app and universal search will bring up a list of apps that match. A nice feature that gets you out of situations like this!
    Cool. Since this never happened to me, I figured these two gents were implying that the apps were missing somehow too. Thanks for the clarification.

    So in that case, does running Preware and removing these patches or EPR resolved the situation. (I'd suggest running Emergency Patch Removal as this seems to be sufficient enough of an emergency!!!)

    Don't forget to try a Full Restart afterwards too. I realize only a Luna restart would technically be required, but full restart can't hurt.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    As for what a launcher patches are, all patches are categorized. Unfortunately you can't browse by category of patches you've installed, just of patches you haven't.
    Actually, there's a setting in Preware to "Show Installed in Available List" (or something similar -- I'm currently in USB mode or I'd look it up).

    If you enable that setting, you can see all patches in a category within that category's Preware listing -- The ones you have installed will have a Green 'downloaded' symbol over their icon. I'd use this as a guide to remove the launcher ones (or just EPR at this point).

    If you installed the patch from WebOS QI as a manual (not from the feeds .patch file), it's likely that it won't show in these lists and you'll find it in the other / unknown bucket at Preware's highest organizational level.
  18. #78  
    thanks all who helped... I actually realized that universal search brought up the apps, (including preware) shortly after I signed off. I just went in to Preware and uninstalled the 3 most recent patches I installed. After a luna restart, everything is working fine... Hope this helps anyone in the same situation.
  19. #79  
    The 4X4 icons no arrows plus named pages makes the icons disappear.
    Laissez Faire
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by shock_terminal View Post
    Not working for me in 1.4
    Any chance this is getting updated?
    I REALLY like this one more than "named pages" personaly.
    I finally got my 1.4 SDK installed and quilt working, so I was able to get the patch working again on a stock OS. Hopefully this v2 version works, though my other launcher patch has been running into problems when used with WOSQI. I've also just submitted it to Preware, so you may want to wait until it shows up there.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions