Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I might hurt some feelings here but let's face it, top-posting is evil and the only reason for it is expediency. I have no problem spending a little extra time properly composing an email reply on a mobile device and you shouldn't either.

- Filter out .signatures (they start with "-- \n", not "--\n").
    - Perhaps filter out "Original Message" portions and/or deeply nested quotes.
    - Wrap each line of text at 40 columns or less (72 columns would look icky when replying).
    - Somehow encourage stripping out everything except what you're actually replying to. That **** where you include an entire 50-line original message just for your one-liner reply (a common "objection" to ">*"-style quotes) is also wrong.
    - Move the cursor to the bottom.
    - Automatically prepend "-- \n" to .signatures.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I think I deserve a free bump.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Yes, please. Please.

And as long as we're doing things properly, can we have this patch get rid of the HTML (or rich text, or whatever it is) entirely in email replies, or at least have an option to do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    I might hurt some feelings here but let's face it, top-posting is evil and the only reason for it is expediency. I have no problem spending a little extra time properly composing an email reply on a mobile device and you shouldn't either.

- Filter out .signatures (they start with "-- \n", not "--\n").
    - Perhaps filter out "Original Message" portions and/or deeply nested quotes.
    - Wrap each line of text at 40 columns or less (72 columns would look icky when replying).
    - Somehow encourage stripping out everything except what you're actually replying to. That **** where you include an entire 50-line original message just for your one-liner reply (a common "objection" to ">*"-style quotes) is also wrong.
    - Move the cursor to the bottom.
    - Automatically prepend "-- \n" to .signatures.
    On that note:

The pre also sends things in multipart mime format with a text/plain and text/html part. That's ok, I guess.

The issue, however, is that if you are forwarding a link to something (say, from Newsroom), the link itself is stripped out in the text/plain part! A big deal since I use a text client most of the time, and in fact tell Mimedefang to discard redundant HTML parts. For example, you'll get "Read more here" in the email, no URL. Very frustrating.

It'd be better if the client would just send text/plain. I don't care for reading html email on my phone, either, but know I'll never win that particular fight. Enjoy the exploits, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Yes, please. Please.

And as long as we're doing things properly, can we have this patch get rid of the HTML (or rich text, or whatever it is) entirely in email replies, or at least have an option to do so?
    Didn't see your post before submitting mine. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!

HTML email is obnoxious. Even worse when you can't control what it looks like (as on the WebOS mail client). There's no reason for it. Especially since there is no way to mark up the email to begin with (bold, italic, underline, lists, etc), so why would you send out as HTML???