Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    reference: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...h-contact.html. Patch description:

This patch adds a message tone field to all of your contacts. Once this field is set, it will play that tone when any SMS message comes in from that contact. If the contact doesn't have a message tone set, it will go to the global default message tone set in Sounds and Alerts. If there is not a global default set, it will simply play the alert. This patch also adds the ability to set the alert tone and notifications tone from the Sounds & Alerts application.

ikyo made a trio of intricate patches which add the ability to have separate SMS tones per contact on the Pre. These three patches were rolled into one patch in the autopatch feed, accessible through Preware or WebOS Quick Install and for use on WebOS 1.2.1.

The name of the patch is "SMS Tone per Contact"

There are previously available patches which are now deprecated and should be removed before installing this patch. These are the three patches which have been consolidated by the autopatch team (dbsooner and emoney) They are most likely named:

Message Tone Options
    Contact-Multitone
    Message Tone Per Contact

If you are having problems with this patch please post here.

after the patch is installed, you can go into the Sounds and Alerts app, and define ringtones for alerts, notifications, and messages. These will play for their entire length so pick an mp3 or wav file that is meant to be for a notification.

Then you can go into contacts and edit your contacts to have their own Message Tone.

To restore to the original Palm Pre alert, notification, and message sounds, click the links to download them. Then copy them to your Ringtones folder on your Pre using the USB Drive mode and then select them as you would any other tone.

Last edited by Milominderbinder; 10/14/2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Added the patch Description and screenshots - hope that is OK.
    Just a quick question.
    What does
    Alert = ring for?
    Notifications= Ring for?
    Messages= Ring for?
    i'm error 4 when installing this patch as well. :/

I had both the message tone options, and the message tone per contact patches working. I removed both of those prior to installing this patch, yet I'm getting an error.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    i'm error 4 when installing this patch as well. :/

I had both the message tone options, and the message tone per contact patches working. I removed both of those prior to installing this patch, yet I'm getting an error.
    Have you restarted LunaSysMgr?
    yes. i always restart luna after installing patches. in this case nothing worked, so i ran the emergency patch repair to restore everything and started over.

"SMS Tone per Contact" now installs fine, but "Message Tone Notification" is now giving the error [4]

i'm baffled ...
  6.    #6  
    what is message tone notifications for?
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    what is message tone notifications for?
    unless it's changed, i believe that the message tone notification patch is what exposes an option to specify a tone for all text messages, under the sound & notification app.

the two other patches that have now been combined into the sms tone per contact had to be install alongside the message tone notification patch. with the new setup, i think that you just need to install 2 patches now instead of three: the sms tone per contact patch, and the message tone notification patch.
  8.    #8  
    I know as you can see from my original post that this patch is a combination of three patches.

message tone notifications is not one of them.

I don't know what it is for. So I can't tell you whether you could use it or not. But my guess is not.

the original post in this thread is pretty clear what you need to make this work, and the patch you are talking about isn't mentioned.
    n/m it looks like this new patch renders the message tone notifications patch obsolete
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    Just a quick question.
    What does
    Alert = ring for?
    Notifications= Ring for?
    Messages= Ring for?
    Same question...?
    i having problems with sms tone per contact too... i have error 4... its working ?
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    i having problems with sms tone per contact too... i have error 4... its working ?
    try running the new emergency recovery patch 1.1.4, restart, then re-install this patch.
    try running the new emergency recovery patch 1.1.4, restart, then re-install this patch.

Note that a restart is only necessary to observe the functional changes of patching. You can run EPR and then install patches all before restarting and it should work cleanly.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    awesome guys.. thank you so much.. i was really scared .... after erp its installed perfecty
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    alert = calendar alert sound
    notification = emails, charging
    messages = text msgs
    The messages sound wouldn't work for me, it played the default notification sound.
    It doesn't work with the Messaging Plugin (MSN and Yahoo servervices) It installs and all, but then I can't send messages to MSN Live contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKC View Post
    The messages sound wouldn't work for me, it played the default notification sound.
    +1 for me...it won't play the "messaging" sound when I get a txt..just the notification one.
    It works for me. Do you guys have the "my notifications app" running?
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    It works for me. Do you guys have the "my notifications app" running?
    I don't but it's getting weirder. My wife's pre doesn't work but mine does (with regards to the messaging sound). Both had my notifications, but were deleted.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast