Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's kind of a 2 part patch, it removes Twitter from Universal search and adds dictionary and thesaurus. It uses dictionary.com's mobile site.

For it to work you need to add two images to your "/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images" folder on your phone. To do that, enter into novaterm or go to the Linux Commandline in WebOS QI.
    Then type this in:
    If that doesn't work, you can use the Send File feature in WebOS QI to put the files in the right place. Here are the images:

Then drop the .patch file into WebOS QI:
    Dictionary.com file
    Merriam Webster file
    Mobile Merriam Webster file(need iPhone spoof patch)

...And some screenshots.

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (210.6 KB, 502 views)
    • File Type: png 2.png (61.1 KB, 492 views)
    • File Type: png 3.png (78.2 KB, 492 views)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by balderson; 01/05/2010 at 06:18 PM.
    I cant get the .PNG files to download through QI
    Nice.

I'd like this even more if it used the dictionary and thesaurus at m-w.com.
    Me either
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Can you post the .PNG files and we just transfer them to the directory with QI Send File option?
    For those who need some help..copy and paste these two images onto your computer.

Open webOS Quick Install
    Tools
    ->Send File
    Browse for each file individually, and insert
    Code:
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images/
    as the destination.

THANK YOU balderson, I've wanted some patches that utilize this, as I modified the linux when I first got the phone, but got to be too lazy.
    NY Giants fan?

Check out my Facebook Group! - Big Blue (NY Giants) which just passed 11,000 members
    and newly formed Fan Page
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by meCka View Post
    Can you post the .PNG files and we just transfer them to the directory with QI Send File option?
    Sorry about that. I was using Terminal so I didn't know that QI doesn't work...

Anyways, here ya go.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Really nice patch, even kind've fun installing it lol.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    For those who need some help..copy and paste these two images onto your computer.

Open webOS Quick Install
    Tools
    ->Send File
    Browse for each file individually, and insert
    Code:
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images/
    as the destination.

THANK YOU balderson, I've wanted some patches that utilize this, as I modified the linux when I first got the phone, but got to be too lazy.
    Beat me by a couple of seconds!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Nice.

I'd like this even more if it used the dictionary and thesaurus at m-w.com.
    No problem. Do you want the main site or the iPhone optimized one? For the latter, you need the iPhone-spoof patch.

EDIT- Ok, check the first post!!
    Last edited by balderson; 01/05/2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I hope it's appropriate to advertise the alternative on steriods, Universal Search Command Line, here.

It adds dictionary.com, thesaurus.com, tons more web searches, and additional capabilities beyond, to Universal Search (they're hidden by default; use the ".show" command to display them), and you can even add additional user-defined searches by editing a file on the /media/internal (USB drive) partition. No support for graphic icons though, you just see text labels.

Mamby-pambies who are scared of installing relatively ambitious patches like mine may want to stick with the OP's patch. It's quite small and effectively does its job---and only its job---without frills.
    Last edited by dsevil; 01/05/2010 at 06:43 PM.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    For it to work you need to add two images to your "/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images" folder on your phone. To do that, enter into novaterm or go to the Linux Commandline in WebOS QI.
    Then type this in:
    You may wish to point out that this part requires the / partition to be mounted read-write while you do this. This is not the case by default on actual devices.

The commands are:

mount -o remount,rw / --- to remount as read-write before making your changes, and

mount -o remount,ro / --- to remount as read-only again once you make your changes.

There are shortcuts to both, but ironically I don't remember them.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    You may wish to point out that this part requires the / partition to be mounted read-write while you do this. This is not the case by default on actual devices.

The commands are:

mount -o remount,rw / --- to remount as read-write before making your changes, and

mount -o remount,ro / --- to remount as read-only again once you make your changes.

There are shortcuts to both, but ironically I don't remember them.
    Is this just for QI? Because in Terminal all I did was type in "novaterm" and then the commands in the first post.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    Is this just for QI? Because in Terminal all I did was type in "novaterm" and then the commands in the first post.
    This does *not* apply to applications like webOS Quick Install and webOS Repair Utility, because they take care of remounting the filesystem as read-write (and hopefully as read-only after performing their operations... assuming they don't crash) for you.

This only applies if you're using novaterm, the Terminal app, and other "bare-metal" methods.

Also, this only applies to actual devices. In the emulator the filesystem is mounted read-write and cannot be remounted read-only. On actual hardware it's read-only by default.

Just like to let the dev of this patch know that I use this patch practically every single day. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by gollyzila; 04/05/2010 at 03:00 AM.
    Does this work in 1.4.1.1?
    Yes it does
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Hmmm...I can't get this one to load. I do have the yahoo+bing search patch installed. I wonder if they both can't be used.

Ok so I removed the yahoo and Bing search patch and now I can install the remove twitter and add dictionary/thesaurus patch.

I like both patches. Any chance we can get them to like one another?
    Great patch, this is what I wanted since I first started using Universal Search.
    I can't seem to get these to work either

I am using WOSQI and it gives me:

ERROR: An error occured while attempting to run /tmp/scriptFile.sh

2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- see webos-patches.log for more details
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast