1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have some useful (IMHO :-) ) changes that I've made to webos. I'd really love to share these with the community. I'm having some difficulty finding definitive documentation on how to go about this. A simple howto, if you will.

Can somebody help get me started in how to 'properly' create a patch, and also how to submit it for inclusion with preware's feeds?

At the core, my changes just use sed/awk on existing config files, and then restart services to put the change into effect, or replace a file entirely.

TIA for any help.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    you can use Jason's Unified Diff creator to create patch files that list the changes to be made... I believe there is instructions in that thread...
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Hi all,

I have some useful (IMHO :-) ) changes that I've made to webos. I'd really love to share these with the community. I'm having some difficulty finding definitive documentation on how to go about this. A simple howto, if you will.

Can somebody help get me started in how to 'properly' create a patch, and also how to submit it for inclusion with preware's feeds?

At the core, my changes just use sed/awk on existing config files, and then restart services to put the change into effect, or replace a file entirely.

TIA for any help.
    what OS are you using?

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...f-creator.html

Use that. All you gotta do is enter the original file and the modified file, and it'll create the .patch file.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks all! Appreciate it.

Is it worthwhile to get quilt up and running on the pre itself, or no? Also, are there any political rules on what is OK to patch, and what is not? For example, adding an adblocking /etc/hosts is trivial, as is enabling IP forwarding and the NAT table rules so that you can tether, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $aren$'$t$ $any$ $patches$ $for$ $those$ $things$ $yet$.

Emoney_33: WebOS, of course ;-)
    I assume you meant what I connect with. Experienced linux sysadmin here. I don't even own a windoze box.

Ultimate goal is to of course put things up for inclusion in preware.

Thanks again, all. Sorry I was lagged in posting my response, and I look forward to contributing to the community.

-- Greg
    can't believe no one asked this yet...what are the patches??!!?..lol
  7.    #7  
    I'll know when I write them :-p I'm having humbled newb anxiety here amongst those of you already publishing awesome changes to the phone.

Actually, I found ways to improve the sound system back when 1.3.1 borked things, but 1.3.5 seems to work well enough that those changes are no longer necessary (although changing pulse's nice level seems to help with alert sounds firing off in a timely manner). That was originally the first thing I was planning to do. I'm definitely going to do the /etc/hosts thing, possibly the tethering thing, and I guess just not publish them if it is frowned upon to do so. I've also made edits to the autoreplace files, but an app/service (def. need to learn to write services in my 'copious' free time) is a better solution there. Actually, that's a better way to do the /etc/hosts thing too.

I've done a lot of work with IPTables/IPSec/Sendmail/etc up to the fortune 500 enterprise level, so definitely have some contributions I can make regarding linux networking, although MyTether seems to have covered much of what is useful there already. Perhaps I'll write a patch to fix the broken way that the device currently handles mail formatting (text/plain part liniks are always lost when sharing URLs for example).

Alas, I cannot play with my phone here at work, and it's snowboard season, so it's a slow process for me to get there, but get there I will!

Somewhat Related:
    If only we had socket-level access as simple as Perl's IO::Socket. I REALLY wanted my first app to be a gui to control my Roku Soundbridge, and even more don't have the time to figure out how to write a service while also writing my first WebOS apps. Oh well.

Thanks again, everyone!
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 01/06/2010 at 08:51 AM.
    Tadding an adblocking /etc/hosts is trivial, as is enabling IP forwarding and the NAT table rules so that you can tether, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $aren$'$t$ $any$ $patches$ $for$ $those$ $things$ $yet$.
    Adblocking using /etc/hosts is built into WebOS Quick Install as a tweak, and has been around for a long time. MyTether has also been available for quite a while as well, but I don't know enough about that to know if it is using the IP forwarding and NAT table rules like you are suggesting.
    Thanks all! Appreciate it.

Is it worthwhile to get quilt up and running on the pre itself, or no? Also, are there any political rules on what is OK to patch, and what is not? For example, adding an adblocking /etc/hosts is trivial, as is enabling IP forwarding and the NAT table rules so that you can tether, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $aren$'$t$ $any$ $patches$ $for$ $those$ $things$ $yet$.

Emoney_33: WebOS, of course ;-)
    I assume you meant what I connect with. Experienced linux sysadmin here. I don't even own a windoze box.

Ultimate goal is to of course put things up for inclusion in preware.

Thanks again, all. Sorry I was lagged in posting my response, and I look forward to contributing to the community.

-- Greg
    diff -BurNp <old_dir> <new_dir> > my.patch is one way.

I extract the rootfs from the doctor and put the rootfs in git control. Make changes there, add/stage them and then git diff -b --cached > my.patch

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    diff -BurNp <old_dir> <new_dir> > my.patch is one way.

I extract the rootfs from the doctor and put the rootfs in git control. Make changes there, add/stage them and then git diff -b --cached > my.patch
    Thanks!
    If you can come up with a WiFi tethering solution that doesn't bork half the phone's other apps, you will make a LOT of friends really fast here.

Looking forward to seeing what patches you have come up with.