Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Still the same for me. I get only the bubble and no numbers in SMS.
    Maybe there is a conflicting patch?
    What I found is that you won't see the counter inside the bubble until you put the name of the recipient of the text, try putting the name first and see if it works, it did for me.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Hi,
    I have an AZERTY HPPre3 with webOS 2.2.4-3175 and this patch works for me.

Lluisinho
    "webOS forever"
    I think that I can see why some have problems. For a number of languages the application's resources folder contains language specific views folders for chatview and listview, and also a stylesheets folder. Those folders are all the subject of patches. I am not aware of how the resources folders are used for localisation, but I am guessing that the appropriate files in those folders also need to be patched.

I will have a look at it myself in the not too distant future.

EDIT - Looks like ekstergans is on the job. :-)
    Last edited by johncc; 02/09/2012 at 04:37 PM.
    I've been having some issues with the patch from post #130 as well (on 2.2.4):
    * empty dot
    * frozen count
    * delayed count

Made some changes and it "works for me" on 2.2.4 and emulated 2.2.0. Threw in some extras as well.

* Reduced counting lag
    * Should work for every IM protocol (fixes some cases of empty dot & frozen count)
    * Added patched translations
    * Configurable hide-when-zero if Tweaks is installed

Updated version in post #190
    Last edited by ekstergans; 02/10/2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    You won't see it in Preware, you can download it here [Patch] Messaging - Character Counter and use WEBOSQI to install it, I'm on a Pre3 2.2.4 as well and it works fine.
    Can anyone explain why this isn't in Preware for 2.2.4? Surely the beauty of Preware is that we don't have to plug in cables, dev mode and fire up WOSQI? I've tried turning off the thing to hide incompatible versions and I don't see any extra patches. I've downloaded this patch and installed it via WOSQI and it works fine, but why the hoops to jump through? It's in the feed for my Veer and was there for 2.2.3...
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Can anyone explain why this isn't in Preware for 2.2.4? Surely the beauty of Preware is that we don't have to plug in cables, dev mode and fire up WOSQI? I've tried turning off the thing to hide incompatible versions and I don't see any extra patches.
    I personally haven't submitted a version because too many people seem to have problems. Hopefull ekstergans version is shown to be more bullet proof and is submitted. But he will probably also want some reports of success from users installing his patch manually.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Thanks johncc (probably from just across town ), your version worked fine for me FWIW when I got it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Thanks johncc (probably from just across town ), your version worked fine for me FWIW when I got it on.
    Yes. I think that there's a half a dozen of us around Adelaide but not much interest in getting together. I initiated a MeetUp group but nobody has got on board.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Funny that we have to get together via a forum on the other side of the planet... oh well. Anyway back on topic
    johncc likes this.
    After testing the patch from post #184 on a Veer I ran into a bug and some annoyances that aren't very noticable on the faster pre3.

* always hide bubble at startup (proper fix for empty bubble)
    * force bubble to be visible when Tweaks responds with hideZero=false
    * attempt to lag even less

Updated version in post #194
    Last edited by ekstergans; 02/10/2012 at 06:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekstergans View Post
    After testing the patch from post #184 on a Veer I ran into a bug and some annoyances that aren't very noticable on the faster pre3.

* always hide bubble at startup (proper fix for empty bubble)
    * force bubble to be visible when Tweaks responds with hideZero=false
    * attempt to lag even less
    Great patch! Works a lot better compared to the previous version! Lag is almost gone on the Veer, it was quite annoying with the old version.

Just a small suggestion from my side for some enhancements:

* restart the counter when the max for the length of the message has been reached. It's a tad annoying sometimes to have to divide the 319 by the max of message length and then to figure out how many characters you still have remaining. Please note that not all carriers will support 160 characters, so in order to be safe, it's good to use the max. supported length from the carrier which is stored in this.Messaging.carrierSettings.smsMessageSizeLimit as it seems (see also it's use in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/chatview-assistant.jsjsjs
    and /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/compose-assistant.jsjsjs)

* maybe to add a counter to tell the remaining number of characters for the message? So 1/159, 150/10 or something.

* alternatively add a counter that tells you the same as above, but then just a fixed number which is the max allowed length for the text. So 1/160, 150/160 or something.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Are both files needed to install it?
    Both the patch and .json?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Are both files needed to install it?
    Both the patch and .json?
    Just .patch did the trick for me

You can add the JSON to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/services/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/preferences

in order to change the setting with Tweaks
    Last edited by Herrie; 02/06/2012 at 03:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Just a small suggestion from my side for some enhancements:

* restart the counter when the max for the length of the message has been reached. It's a tad annoying sometimes to have to divide the 319 by the max of message length and then to figure out how many characters you still have remaining. Please note that not all carriers will support 160 characters, so in order to be safe, it's good to use the max. supported length from the carrier which is stored in this.Messaging.carrierSettings.smsMessageSizeLimit as it seems (see also it's use in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/chatview-assistant.jsjsjs
    and /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/compose-assistant.jsjsjs)
    Actually, it's in app/utilities/CharacterCounter.jsjsjs
    Depending on character encoding, multipart, ... the limit could be less than the limit imposed by chatview & compose assistant.jsjsjs

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    * alternatively add a counter that tells you the same as above, but then just a fixed number which is the max allowed length for the text. So 1/160, 150/160 or something.
    ^ that's the option I went with, keeps the visual updates (and lag!) to a minimum.

Today's changes:
    * configurable display of max-segment-length & instead of message-length the last-segment-length will be shown
    * changed "hide zero" to "show zero" for naming & description consistency

If you're updating from a previous version and were using tweaks, make sure to install the new .json as well

Edit: has a bug in compose-view, files removed. Will update later today/tomorrow
    Edit 2: Fixed: max-length not updating when changing message-transport
    Last edited by ekstergans; 02/10/2012 at 06:07 AM.
    Work fine in PalmPre2

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Tried installing the .patch file from #194 onto my Pre 3 but I get some errors. Did I miss something?
    got errors as well
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    got errors as well
    I used the messaging-character-counter_2.2.0-52_all.ipk from http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-patches/2.2.0 and it works fine for 2.2.4 on preplus/pre2/pre3
    Rnp likes this.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to integrate this into the messaging app on the TouchPad.....or possibly write a new one for it? I'm finding I'm starting to send a lot of SMS now through it, but have no idea what space I have left per message.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I used the messaging-character-counter_2.2.0-52_all.ipk from Index of /feeds/webos-patches/2.2.0/ and it works fine for 2.2.4 on preplus/pre2/pre3
    This worked for me. Just a little slow to update. Also, Luna restart is necessary.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast