Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Figured a solution...

Sorry for the NOOB-ness her, but I have installed the multi-scrim (even shows it on the Preware patch list), I then go in to USB drive, make new folder named ( scrims )... then take a pic saved as "phone-scrim.png"...go back to regular everyday use, open phone and get black....arg! please help

Thanks,
  3. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I have the multi-scrim installed as part of a theme, and the image files are all in the USB drive folder 'wallpapers', not a sub directory. Also, I needed to restart Luna to get the phone and email scrims to change.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sakaiser7 View Post
    Sorry for the NOOB-ness her, but I have installed the multi-scrim (even shows it on the Preware patch list), I then go in to USB drive, make new folder named ( scrims )... then take a pic saved as "phone-scrim.png"...go back to regular everyday use, open phone and get black....arg! please help

Thanks,
    The phone-scrim.png? is it 320x480 and it should be phone-scrim.png no quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I have the multi-scrim installed as part of a theme, and the image files are all in the USB drive folder 'wallpapers', not a sub directory. Also, I needed to restart Luna to get the phone and email scrims to change.
    Not the same! Mine, ( unless someone else is adapting it for themes) uses a scrims folder on the usb drive. The ones that use the wallpapers folder are done by mracer29 and are individual not a package like mine.

If my multi scrim patch is used as part of a theme you need to contact the dev of that theme.

I dont like themes as they create a huge security issue and are not monitored or checked for compatibility like the patches are and tend to cause problems for a lot of people.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

5. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Ah, ok, I wasn't sure if it was the same patch or not.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I dont like themes as they create a huge security issue and are not monitored or checked for compatibility like the patches are and tend to cause problems for a lot of people.
    I was wondering exactly what the security issue is with using a theme. I'm aware that there can be compatibility issues, but this is the first I've heard of a security issue. If you could expand on that, it would be much appreciated. Also, thanks for the work you've done on this patch! I'm in the process of playing with it now, and it's great.
  7.    #27  
    First let me say that I trust the majority of the theme builders here, now that being said.. security not meaning the typical hacker but.....w/ themes there is no monitor, Anybody can create a theme w/ a patch that can and does interfere w/ the functions of the phone.
    With Patches there are at least some safety precautions, Ie. the submission process through PreWare where dbsooner checks individual patches to make sure they dont have some sort of code that will bork your Pre.

W/ autopatch if the patch interferes w/ another it will simply error! w/ a theme that has a patch it will force the install then not be able to be removed via PreWare or WOSQI or EPR.
    Autopatch also makes a backup of your original files before it installs and replaces the original when removed! There are no such safe gaurds for themes. (that I'm aware of)
    I feel the only safe way to Theme your Pre is to 1) create your own 2)download from prethemer as a .zip and inspect the content 3) only Install a theme from a well known Themer 4) This one is the most Important never install a Theme w/ a patch.

These are just my opinion and are probably wrong, I have had problems installing patches generally on Pres that were Themed or were themed previously and removed (not completely because the patch merged w/ some other patch.)

And thanks for the comments!

I am working on a 1.3.5 v of this Patch right now.

It works fine in 1.3.5 except for the youtube-scrim.png, It causes no ill effects except it doesnt change the scrim. It just reverts to default.
    I should have the updated v. by the wknd.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Cool. Thanks for the explanation! I really haven't played with themes much - mostly because I found the Original Blue Theme not long after I first got my Pre and fell in love. I've hardly looked at another theme since then. The creator has done a phenomenal amount of work adapting large numbers of image files, and the quality of his (or her?) work is impressive. (Actually, most of the themers out there amaze me - I'm a graphical noob.) I had previously downloaded the zip file and browsed through all of the changes, and the vast majority are just image files. There's only 2 files affected that aren't png files - calculator.css and systemui.css. It does appear, however, that the theme overwrites the original css files without making a backup first. Is this the kind of thing you're talking about that can cause problems? I don't imagine the calculator.css file will be an issue, but I know there are several patches that modify the systemui.css file, so I can see where that could be a problem. If a theme does nothing but change image files, can that still cause issues?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the explanation! I really haven't played with themes much - mostly because I found the Original Blue Theme not long after I first got my Pre and fell in love. I've hardly looked at another theme since then. The creator has done a phenomenal amount of work adapting large numbers of image files, and the quality of his (or her?) work is impressive. (Actually, most of the themers out there amaze me - I'm a graphical noob.) I had previously downloaded the zip file and browsed through all of the changes, and the vast majority are just image files. There's only 2 files affected that aren't png files - calculator.css and systemui.css. It does appear, however, that the theme overwrites the original css files without making a backup first. Is this the kind of thing you're talking about that can cause problems? I don't imagine the calculator.css file will be an issue, but I know there are several patches that modify the systemui.css file, so I can see where that could be a problem. If a theme does nothing but change image files, can that still cause issues?
    I am far from an expert on themes but if its just .pngs the i see no issues w/ them.

You are correct about the majority of themes modify the systemui.css, That is a serious one to be careful with because that it the topbar that contains the clock,launcher description,battery stats,and carrier string.
    If a topbar patch is already installed and a theme is installed w/ a topbar patch integrated it WILL cause problems, if nothing less than removal of either patch or theme. This could cause serious issues w/ an OTA.

Follow the link below.

[Patch] Multi Scrim Patch!
    2sslow,

Would you submit this patch to the Preware patch feed using dbsooner's form?

- Craig
  11.    #31  
    Please read the Edit in the first post!

Follow the link below.

12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Could people place sone modified scrim images here with actual file names (attachment) so others might be able to use them and make this patch more worthwhile (aka-similar to what was done for themes etc.

Thanks
    See edit in first post!

Follow the link below.

i am so completely lost...i have installed multi scrim patch using wosqi. where do i make a scrims folder? on my desktop? under file and new on webosi? and after that do i put pics saved as the desired scrim and drag and drop to the wallpaper folder....please help me. i need step by step instructions. i read the other posts and i am on more confused
  14.    #34  
    The first post has step by step. The scrims folder goes on the usb drive on the Pre, My patches do not use the wallpapers folder it uses the scrims folder.

Follow the link below.

I cannot get this to work. It worked just fine in 1.3.5, and I did download the updated patch. Rats.
  16.    #36  
    there must be some conflicting patches on your Pre.

Works fine for me!

Did you uninstall the old one through WOSQI?

Follow the link below.

thank u so much, works perfectly!
    there must be some conflicting patches on your Pre.

Works fine for me!

Did you uninstall the old one through WOSQI?
    Yes, and then ran EPR, Repair Utility then doctored. So basically, a stock pre. Fails every time now.
    the messaging part doesn't seem to be playing nice with the landscape view/patch
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    the messaging part doesn't seem to be playing nice with the landscape view/patch
    Sorry I dont use those patches!

Fix for landscape messaging and email:

messaging-scrim 480x480
    email-scrim 480x480

First post has been edited!

Follow the link below.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast