Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    These would probably be best implemented as a single patch ('Make PDF View Not Suck'), but two patches would be fine as well:

- Remember the page number/view area/zoom level last viewed (currently, PDF View resets to page 1, at the top of the page, at normal zoom, every time you load it)

- Return to top of page after page change (currently, if you're scrolled to the bottom of a page, and change to the next page, you're still scrolled to the bottom, so you constantly have to scroll all the way back up)

These would greatly improve PDF View, and make it usable. Other people have complained about the same issues, and I think these patches/this patch would be highly applauded.
    Also, a way to hide that darn page number counter at the bottom that hides part of my pdf....I really want to get rid of that thing.
    I figured out how to get rid of the filename bar at the top; I could probably do the same with the one at the bottom. (Although then how would you scroll through pages??) I think the other two changes may be beyond my skill set but I'll have a look around the code again.

forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/219808-patch-hide-annoying-header-pdfviewer-tarirene.html
  4.    #4  
    Awesome; thanks for any effort you put into it. I'd really love to resume reading books on the go, but as it stands, it's just not worth the extra effort.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Surely the biggest improvement would be to have landscape view for PDF Viewer? Most PDFs require constant horizontal scrolling which becomes annoying when reading line after line!
    Landscape view in pdf is already available as a patch through preware (Enable Landscape PDF Viewer).

Ok, so I found a way to get rid of the page count ("1 / 100" for example); the arrows are still there though with my method. And I'm still not convinced you'd want to get rid of them (there doesn't seem to be another way to scroll through pages). Patch is attached; it won't interfere with any other patches for the pdf viewer.

As I thought, the two requests of the OP are way beyond me. It's not the first time someone's complained about it though; palm should get on this! PDF viewer in its current form really does suck.

Edit: This shouldn't be used in conjunction with pdf redux; they modify the same file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tarirene; 01/11/2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    Landscape view in pdf is already available as a patch through preware (Enable Landscape PDF Viewer).
    Thank you. I too noticed that after my post. However as I use WebOSQI to install patches and not the PreWare method, I guess I cannot get the PDF Landscape mode....
    Everything on preware is also available through quickinstall.

Note that, first, you need to install the extract pdf viewer package. Click on the Blue Arrow, select "WebOS-Internals Feed (all)" from the dropdown list, and check the box for "Extract PDF Viewer Application." Download and install it, then install the patches.

Then you can go to Tools/Tweaks/Online Repository, select "Enable Landscape PDF Viewer" and hit Install Patch.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thank you - I was getting confused on where to get the extract pdf viewer package from. I couldn't find it the other day!

I will give it a go tomorrow as its approaching 0100hrs here in the UK.
    Apologies for deviating from the root focus of this topic.
  10.    #10  
    Out of nowhere, most of these requests were fulfilled with the new "PDF Redux" patch by akamil, which can be found in PreWare. However, I've been unable to find him here and thank him.

Thanks go out to you, O phantom patcher!
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    Everything on preware is also available through quickinstall.

Note that, first, you need to install the extract pdf viewer package. Click on the Blue Arrow, select "WebOS-Internals Feed (all)" from the dropdown list, and check the box for "Extract PDF Viewer Application." Download and install it, then install the patches.

Then you can go to Tools/Tweaks/Online Repository, select "Enable Landscape PDF Viewer" and hit Install Patch.
    Thanks Tarirene!!! PDF was useless till now!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I can't seem to get PDF Redux installed (I also do not know how to produce screen print on Pre). I DO have Extract PDF Viewer installed, I even removed and re-installed it. I tried via Preware and WebOS QI.

Please advise if there is something that I need to uninstall to get this to work. Thanks.
    Is it giving you an error message?

As of 1.3.5, the extract pdf viewer patch is no longer necessary for any of these other patches. It was only a weird quirk with 1.3.1.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    So should I remove extract PDF viewer?
  15.    #15  
    Probably. Also, any other PDF View patches should be removed, as they're likely to conflict with Redux.
    Speaking only for my patch, it changes exactly the same line of code as one of the fixes in pdf redux, so yes, preware would probably throw errors at you if you tried to do both.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have now uninstalled the 'Extract PDF Viewer'. When trying to install PDF Redux it tells me that Extract PDF Viewer needs to be installed, so....when I let it, I then still cannot install PDF Redux- I assume this is due to Extract PDF Viewer being installed. Please advise (I even uninstalled my theme to make sure that was not interfering- it was not).
    Last edited by 13brian; 01/11/2010 at 07:06 PM.
    I am not able to install any of the 3 PDF patches after the latest webOS 1.3.5 update. For example, for the PDF landscape viewer, I get the following error:

"can't find file to patch at input line 5
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    ----------------------------------
    |diff --git a/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.pdfviewer/app/controllers/document-assistant.jsjsjs $b$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$pdfviewer$/$app$/$controllers$/$document$-$assistant$.$js$
    |index 666d24e..4120555 100644
    |--- a/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.pdfviewer/app/controllers/document-assistant.jsjsjs
    |+++ b/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.pdfviewer/app/controllers/document-assistant.jsjsjs
    ----------------------"

I have Preware v0.9.12 and Package Manager Service v09.29 installed (removed and re-installed but still no luck). I do have Extract PDF viewer installed.

Are others having this problem also? Any advice on how to get around this?

Many thanks.
    Oh, annoying, I didn't realize preware makes you install the extract pdf patch successfully before you can apply the others. All these patches need to be updated for 1.3.5 then...

Edit: I've submitted the update for my patch, the hide header one. Just have to wait on the others I guess. Though you could grab the patch files from the repository online and use webosqi to install them, which I believe would work...

ugh, no more from me on this, exam early tomorrow morning
    Last edited by tarirene; 01/11/2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    thanks whoever you are for making the search feature in PDF viewer work again! I can now use my phone for its primary purpose at work...looking up stuff for people having surgery when i can't reach for a book. this is really HUGE! you are this smiley face:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast