Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    This patch obviously still has some 1.4 growing pains....I'm having exactly the same problem...no menu option to hide but all the vendors previously input are hidden in the catalog. Hope it gets fixed...I love this option.
    Me too. No menu option for me, and I am soooo excited about hiding Dijit and Brighthouse.

Ps, why can't Palm control spamming in the app store? Are they just focused on having as many apps as possible to appear as though they are keeping up with the Droid store?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Just submitted a fix to dbsooner.

Turns out Palm is using YUI Compressor on a good chunk of the App Catalog JavaScript code now, and my patches modify code so affected.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Ps, why can't Palm control spamming in the app store? Are they just focused on having as many apps as possible to appear as though they are keeping up with the Droid store?
    http://www.precentral.net/issue-app-spam
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I finally got this patch to work! No more Brighthouse Labs, Doin, Dijit and no more Religious apps! Now I can search through the App Store in peace!
    I hadn't been able to get this to work. I had uninstalled/reinstalled many times. This week my Preware client said there was an update, and installing the update produced the elusive menu choice for "hiding" vendors.

I have to say that this is the most appreciated/valuable app I have, because spammers like Dijit and Brighthouse make the app catalog so unusable. Do they do the same thing to Google and iPhone app stores? geesh!

One other cool patch reveals the number of downloads that have been made of each app. You can see that dijit, brighthouse and other spammers are making decent money by the number of downloads - since there appears to be know way to get a refund from the appstore. Does anyone know if there is a refund mechanism?

Surprising how many people (me included) bought dozens of apps without reading the reviews. Dijit apps that have only 1-star as the average rating will still see hundreds of downloads. That's amazing, and explains why they keep adding to the spam with more and more public domain content...

Somehow Palm has to step up and fix this. Until then, this is my most favorite app! Kudos!
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    Turns out Palm is using YUI Compressor on a good chunk of the App Catalog JavaScript code now, and my patches modify code so affected.
    Which has, of course, resulted in distributing too much Palm copyrighted code. Something didn't connect in my brain. If anyone from Palm is reading this, then while I don't believe I'm actually causing harm, I do apologize for my mishap. I've asked dbsooner to remove Hide App Vendors for now until I provide another fix.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I hadn't been able to get this to work. I had uninstalled/reinstalled many times. This week my Preware client said there was an update, and installing the update produced the elusive menu choice for "hiding" vendors.

I have to say that this is the most appreciated/valuable app I have, because spammers like Dijit and Brighthouse make the app catalog so unusable. Do they do the same thing to Google and iPhone app stores? geesh!

One other cool patch reveals the number of downloads that have been made of each app. You can see that dijit, brighthouse and other spammers are making decent money by the number of downloads - since there appears to be know way to get a refund from the appstore. Does anyone know if there is a refund mechanism?

Surprising how many people (me included) bought dozens of apps without reading the reviews. Dijit apps that have only 1-star as the average rating will still see hundreds of downloads. That's amazing, and explains why they keep adding to the spam with more and more public domain content...

Somehow Palm has to step up and fix this. Until then, this is my most favorite app! Kudos!
    If you look at Brighthouse though; they have something like over 150 garbage apps in the Aplm App Store, but most of them have not been downloaded at all. So they make money, but honest developers can pull in 1000 downloads in 1 day, where Brighthouse may get 100 downloads after months and months of their apps being in the catalog.
    So there is people that buy Bighthouse's garbage, but for the most part; their apps are ignored.

If people would stop buying junk from Brighthouse, Doin, Dijit, ect; then they would stop making apps. But as long as people buy apps from them; then they will keep spamming. Dijit and Doin at least have a few good apps, whereas Brighthouse Labs has (ZERO) useful apps! So Palm should just get rid of them, but that's never going to happen. The proven Scam-App (This App Saves Lives) is still in the Palm store; even after the British Red Cross told Palm it was a scam.

So we are on are our own here.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Which has, of course, resulted in distributing too much Palm copyrighted code. Something didn't connect in my brain. If anyone from Palm is reading this, then while I don't believe I'm actually causing harm, I do apologize for my mishap. I've asked dbsooner to remove Hide App Vendors for now until I provide another fix.
    I just submitted an updated version (with monkeypatching technology!) to dbsooner.

I just submitted an updated version (with monkeypatching technology!) to dbsooner.
    Thanks for the extremely quick turnaround time!

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    I still can't remove or update this thing. I tried all the editing code stuff from the previous pages, but no dice. any suggestions?
    this thing on? anyone read this forum? help a brother out. this pos patch has been on my phone for months....
    <bump>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Is a 1.4.5 update in the works?
    I just installed this on my Pre+ with 1.4.2. Seems to work nicely. Thanks.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    1.4.5 update has been submitted to webos-patches.

You can download it here (for installation with webOSQI, etc.) in the mean time:
    Index of /webos/patches/1.4.5
    (ignore the zero-byte files for other patches there.)

Thank you
    Thanks! Works fine for me with Sprint 1.4.5 after installing via WOSQI.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I'm getting a 1 out of 1 hunk failed eror. Just a heads up. Let me know if you need more info, it could be me though.
    iam getting same error also.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by njforcedlife77 View Post
    iam getting same error also.
    me three. I was wondering if another patch conflicts?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast